Paulson/GPI Elites - Do I need to oil them? (1 Viewer)

Phyffe

Pair
Reaction score
So my Elites finally arrived, right in the middle of Covid lockdown. So I wanted to ask, since they have such a small part of visible clay (just the darn rim), do you think oiling them will be needful?

This all seems very strange to me.
I'm not a fan of oiling, generally. But to those people who like to oil CPCs or BCC's or Paulsons, why the hell wouldn't you oil these?

I’d oil them and let them dry. If you oil and dry properly they won’t be “over oiled” and it’ll reduce color transfer which is a problem with all the white spots on elites but I get why people wouldn’t.

Yes, Stack them in a barrel, and lightly wipe down the barrel (edges), to get colors to pop without oiling the face / inlays.
I did all mine single, do you put them in a rack and oil them by each barrel or just stack them 20 per and hold the whole stack and oil all at once?

I did all mine single, do you put them in a rack and oil them by each barrel or just stack them 20 per and hold the whole stack and oil all at once?
No rack, just hold a barrel of 10 or 20 ( whatever you're comfortable with), & use a lightly mineral-oiled rag in the opposite hand to wipe down all sides of the barrel ...

No rack, just hold a barrel of 10 or 20 ( whatever you're comfortable with), & use a lightly mineral-oiled rag in the opposite hand to wipe down all sides of the barrel ...
Good to know for the future, let me ask this then, have you heard or seen of others putting paulsons submerged in water and putting 2 or 3 caps of oil in there as well and oiling chips that way? Does it even work?

Good to know for the future, let me ask this then, have you heard or seen of others putting paulsons submerged in water and putting 2 or 3 caps of oil in there as well and oiling chips that way? Does it even work?
There are members here who have "dunked", or even tossed, their chips in a bowl of either Water+oil, or just oil... & can tell you more about that..
I've never been comfortable with, nor felt a need for those methods myself, & always used rag methods on my chips ...

It works well for well worn chips, or china clay chips. For mint chips I would NEVER do this. Just the process of doing this could bang the chips around and damage them. For worn chips or china clays it's not much of a concern though.

Never tried the dunk method but here’s my thought - seems like a fine way of getting oil onto the chips quickly. But you’re going to want to wipe them down individually, either to remove excess oil, or at the very least to get the oil off the inlays. So as long as you’re wiping down each chip individually, wouldn’t it be just as easy to just apply the oil with a rag, to each chip individually?
if you’re the kind of savage who wants to cover your chips in oil and just let them sit there, hoping the excess will evaporate, fine for you, use the dunk method - quick and easy. Just don’t try to sell me those sticky chips, please.

Never tried the dunk method but here’s my thought - seems like a fine way of getting oil onto the chips quickly. But you’re going to want to wipe them down individually, either to remove excess oil, or at the very least to get the oil off the inlays. So as long as you’re wiping down each chip individually, wouldn’t it be just as easy to just apply the oil with a rag, to each chip individually?
if you’re the kind of savage who wants to cover your chips in oil and just let them sit there, hoping the excess will evaporate, fine for you, use the dunk method - quick and easy. Just don’t try to sell me those sticky chips, please.
Anytime I've done it you're right you have to wipe away the excess from the chip faces before laying them out to dry.

As for sticky, what kind of oil are you using! Lol

As for sticky, what kind of oil are you using! Lol
I’ve only applied oil sparingly, and never had a problem. I imagine if you literally soaked chips with oil and let them sit, they’d get sticky, but that’s just a guess.

I’ve only applied oil sparingly, and never had a problem. I imagine if you literally soaked chips with oil and let them sit, they’d get sticky, but that’s just a guess.
Mineral oil doesn't "dry" like some other oils. It won't ever get sticky unless you're using some type of mineral oil with scents or other additives. It should never get "sticky" even if applied ultra liberally.

Dunking in water/oil mixture produces sub-optimal results, as the oil merely sits atop the water and only gets (unevenly) applied to the chips as they exit. Usually results in splotchy oil coverage, and needless submits the chips to potential damage from the water submersion.

Dunking in water/oil mixture produces sub-optimal results, as the oil merely sits atop the water and only gets (unevenly) applied to the chips as they exit. Usually results in splotchy oil coverage, and needless submits the chips to potential damage from the water submersion.

I fully agree. I've tried this a couple times and was not impressed with the results. I now only oil by hand using a light compression.

That was my thinking with the oil and water, do you think it would help if you still wiped them down as you brought the chip out of the water/oil to get a better layer on the chip?

I’ve been using these chips for more than a year now, and I haven’t oiled at all. I just wiped them down with a damp cloth, but other than that, just been using them about twice a month. Wonderful chips. Simple, affordable and easy to see.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom