Paulson: Full label replacement tutorial thread (3 Viewers)

30min per chip?! Outch!

Maybe they were exposed to high heat?

This is not normal - NANPR solve everything that was glued on whatever…

In a tutorial i saw, the guy let sit the soup for about 20min.
NANPR works best when it‘s liquid, and it vaporizes very fast!
When i let sit for 10-20min. it‘s like i did nothing at all…
It‘s 5sec after the application you‘ve got 5-10 sec to remove the label. Otherwise it sticks again like before.
At least with the product i use…
Yes… 30 min per chip can be very normal for older chips. Roulettes, Paulson fantasy etc can be very, very difficult and it’s hard to tell until you get in to it. In general my experience is that the older the chip the tougher the removal.

Newer chips ( ie the BTP and AS you’ve shown and most RHC’s) are quite easy - as you’ve described. But don’t discount how tough an older chip can hold on to that inlay - even with all the various tools, potions and tricks.

I’ve murdered thousands of chips. Many were easy. Some were a real bitch.

Ok - thanks. So the older the bitchy... ; )

Would like to try the 10sec "trick" on an old roulette chip, just to get confirmed that the PCF guys did this 1000times before! Hahahaa

How you keep motivated to relabel 3-5 racks at 30min per chip…? Respect!

This was my fear when i decided to do this relabel set. Thankful newer chips release their label much faster than older ones.

I‘m working on the 5s now and the first barrel was done in 17 minutes at normal speed.

This is acceptable, and more effort would be a reason to:
Send all to Gear
Change the target chip
Reject the project

Here’s a question. Can you relabel a normal inlay chip to a large inlay chip?

Say a fantasy Paulson chip like a Tiger Palace 39mm chip and make it look like a Casablanca large inlay chip?

Say a fantasy Paulson chip like a Tiger Palace 39mm chip and make it look like a Casablanca large inlay chip?
Bump for my question!

At first I thought you meant the oversized inlays on some RHC chips like these Vineyards...

1708625084388.png

Photo by @Oscargambles

...which would not be possible, but I found some pics of some Casablanca chips, like these $5s...

1708625157295.png

Photo by @coosfro

... and it looks like the recess on these are maybe 1" instead of the standard 7/8" THC recess? In that case, you wouldn't be able to just "murder" an 7/8" inlay and relabel with a larger label because the recess size wouldn't match. You'd either have to murder chips that already had the larger inlay, or mill chips with the smaller inlay with a larger milling bit.

At first I thought you meant the oversized inlays on some RHC chips like these Vineyards...

View attachment 1278765
Photo by @Oscargambles

...which would not be possible, but I found some pics of some Casablanca chips, like these $5s...

View attachment 1278767
Photo by @coosfro

... and it looks like the recess on these are maybe 1" instead of the standard 7/8" THC recess? In that case, you wouldn't be able to just "murder" an 7/8" inlay and relabel with a larger label because the recess size wouldn't match. You'd either have to murder chips that already had the larger inlay, or mill chips with the smaller inlay with a larger milling bit.
Ok thanks helpful. But you can’t mill inlayed chips? Or there’s “flashing”?

Ok thanks helpful. But you can’t mill inlayed chips? Or there’s “flashing”?
You can definitely mill inlaid chips. It's easier than manual removal of the inlays but does remove more material since you have to mill slightly deeper than the compressed inlay to clear it all out. It can leave "flashing" mostly because not all inlays are perfectly centered, and if you are milling at the same size as the inlay (7/8" for THC) then there may be some edges of the inlay that may need to be cleaned up.

But if you're milling THC chips with 7/8" inlays to a larger size like the Casablanca chips, then the milled area would extend past the width of the inlay and you wouldn't have any flashing. But since you're milling into the THC mold inner ring, if those aren't completely centered, you might get uneven results, like where the recess is closer to one top hat than the other:

1708626834155.png

But as you can see that could happen even with original larger-inlay THCs.

You can definitely mill inlaid chips. It's easier than manual removal of the inlays but does remove more material since you have to mill slightly deeper than the compressed inlay to clear it all out. It can leave "flashing" mostly because not all inlays are perfectly centered, and if you are milling at the same size as the inlay (7/8" for THC) then there may be some edges of the inlay that may need to be cleaned up.

But if you're milling THC chips with 7/8" inlays to a larger size like the Casablanca chips, then the milled area would extend past the width of the inlay and you wouldn't have any flashing. But since you're milling into the THC mold inner ring, if those aren't completely centered, you might get uneven results, like where the recess is closer to one top hat than the other:

View attachment 1278789

But as you can see that could happen even with original larger-inlay THCs.
Awesome! So if I want a Casablanca $1 with a large inlay, I guess I can buy any THC normal inlay, mill it, and then apply Gear labels?

Awesome! So if I want a Casablanca $1 with a large inlay, I guess I can buy any THC normal inlay, mill it, and then apply Gear labels?
I know I've talked somewhat authoritatively on this, but just a quick disclaimer that I have never milled chips before, so this is all based on second-hand knowledge reading PCF. But yes, if you have THCs with normal 7/8" inlays, or even THCs that are hotstamped (even larger hotstamps like starbursts that take up most of the normal recess on a THC chip) and you mill out to the 1" size of the large inlay Casablanca chips, then you can have labels made to fit the larger milled recess.

Okay so the preferred chip is really a HS then.
For milling, yes.

BTW I should clarify:
It either removes too much material, or not enough
I said this in reference to drill-press based milling, since there are only so many router-bit sizes available (usually 7/8" or 1", maaaaaaybe you can find 15/16")

With CNC-based milling, you can mill out whatever size you like ... but you STILL shouldn't mill inlaid chips without removing the inlays manually first. If you really really want to make oversized Casablanca-style inlays (imo: why??) you could mill a slightly larger inlay area than normal, and fill it with label.

I've done this before to "fix" poorly-milled inlay recesses, or to make misshapen/non-circular inlay recesses circular again (e.g. Horseshoe Gardena $25s.)

I know I've talked somewhat authoritatively on this, but just a quick disclaimer that I have never milled chips before, so this is all based on second-hand knowledge reading PCF. But yes, if you have THCs with normal 7/8" inlays, or even THCs that are hotstamped (even larger hotstamps like starbursts that take up most of the normal recess on a THC chip) and you mill out to the 1" size of the large inlay Casablanca chips, then you can have labels made to fit the larger milled recess.
IMO milling inlaid chips is a bad idea. It either removes too much material, or not enough, and it both cases just makes a mess. Don't do it.
I've attempted to murder chips only once. It didn't go well, but since I have a milling rig, I then tried to mill those same failed murder chips. As Gear says, it was a mess, and It felt like the bit was burning the inlay, and the heat was hardening the clay. So I stopped. And the chips look like crap. So yeah, unless you have worked out a better system, I would not recommend milling inlaid chips.

Because the rest of the chips are large inlay! Does that not make sense?
Large inlays are one thing, but the oversized Casablanca labels have always just looked like mistakes to me.

That is, some Casablanca chips have "normal" 7/8-inch inlays, and some have 1" inlays, but all of them have (nominally) 15/16" inlay recesses... which means the 1" inlay is only-just-barely bigger than the inlay recess. To me, they just look sloppy, like they were poorly or carelessly made, instead of deliberately oversized the way most other oversized inlays look (Vineyards, Bellagio 98, etc. etc.)

So yeah, in my opinion, it doesn't make sense to try to replicate something that looks crappy to start with. If you do want 1-inch inlays on TH&C chips, then yes, they should be milled to the correct size, and labels cut to fit. The results will look decent, but in my view that approach would/should be more of a "rescue" scenario (e.g. fixing the misshapen inlays on Horseshoe Gardena $25s) than a deliberate plan. That said, to each their own! :)

Last edited:
I have milled standard THC (hot stamp and 7/8" inlay) in order to accept a slightly larger label. My THC roulette set has 15/16" labels and it *might* have been possible to do 1". You must have a very well centered jig and you will be milling right up to the inner ring. It is possible to do so without hitting the bottom of the top hat/cane.

Large inlays are one thing, but the oversized Casablanca labels have always just looked like mistakes to me.

That is, some Casablanca chips have "normal" 7/8-inch inlays, and some have 1" inlays, but all of them have 15/16" inlay recesses... which means the 1" inlay is only-just-barely bigger than the inlay recess. To me, they just look sloppy, like they were poorly or carelessly made, instead of deliberately oversized the way most other oversized inlays look (Vineyards, Bellagio 98, etc. etc.)

So yeah, in my opinion, it doesn't make sense to try to replicate something that looks crappy to start with. If you do want 1-inch inlays on TH&C chips, then yes, they should be milled to the correct size, and labels cut to fit. The results will look decent, but in my view that approach would/should be more of a "rescue" scenario (e.g. fixing the misshapen inlays on Horseshoe Gardena $25s) than a deliberate plan. That said, to each their own! :)
Got it, thanks for the reasoning! Me personally, the large inlay sloppiness on the Casablanca doesn’t bother me, but not having matching inlay sizes totally triggers me.

For context here is my current Casablanca lineup, and I’m thinking about adding a $1

IMG_6408.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom