Paulson color name vent thread (3 Viewers)

Great thread. Agree with pretty much all comments, except that Radiant Red is arguably a red — albeit a pinkish one

Great thread. Agree with pretty much all comments, except that Radiant Red is arguably a red — albeit a pinkish one

Same here, I definitely thought radiant red was a shade of red, not pink, but the rest were right on. One of those orange chips is straight up grey, lol.

Is there a site or a book with all of the Paulson chip colors?

An interesting thought: we tend to think of human sensory perception as a basic template that we all share in equally, without variation, but we know the very opposite is true. Colour perception, as an example, isn't nearly as simple as colour-blind vs. non-colour blind. Genetically, we have a huge diversity of possible variations in our pathways that reflect, absorb, transmit, tanslate, and even communicate what we define as colour. So one is not wrong in classifying Radiant Red as among the red spectrum, nor are you wrong in classifying it as among the pink spectrum. Is Arc Yellow really yellow or is it orange? And what, exactly, is the definition of "yellow" or "orange"?

Now expand this diversity into other senses such as taste (why do people prefer what they prefer in the Wine Appreciation Thread?), or touch (some appreciate the cross-hatching texture on chip surfaces and inlays, some cannot feel it at all, and some are so sensitive that it feels ridiculously rough), or smell (some swear off China Clays because of odour, others have noticed nothing at all), or sound.

All of these variations allow for us to appreciate our hobbies in different ways. From a perceptual case, the only time someone is wrong is likely when they insist that somebody else is wrong.

(Except I stand by my observation that Indian Blue is green and Sea Green is blue. ;))

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom