Paulson CMYK Color Project (1 Viewer)

Tommy

Royal Flush
Admin
Supporter
Reaction score
20160221_233740.jpg

Working on getting a new set of color wheels made that will be close to the Paulson colors. Many of the vibrant color are just not possible with the CMYK printing process. Special inks and print heads are needed too. These are very costly I am told, so many do not use them. All I can do is just find the closest color.

Since the colors will print a little different on ceramics vs paper, I'm going to get 3 shades lighter and 2 darker for each color. 6 shades per color, two colors per wheel. Will probably be a 45 chip set.

I'll post up the color codes in the Resource section when I'm done. Could be a helpful starting point for prototypes if you wanted to get custom ceramics made.

Thanks to @David O for lending me his color sample set.

I think that would be perfect for matching colors on custom label projects. I was trying to figure out how to work colors or complement colors via a label to make it match a paulson solid. Thank you for doing this.

I'm interested in such a set. Are these going to be made available for purchase?

If they don't, I will. No idea what the cost would be on these. I'm assuming a single set would be pricey. If enough are interested maybe I can persuade them to make it stock item and available to everyone at normal prices.

Results would be great for those who have a Paulson color sample set although another sample set would also be nice to have.

That's awesome Tommy! It'll be great to get custom sets with Paulson colors, even if it is just on ceramics.

Hey @Tommy would this color wheel also apply to Ceramic Vendors like GOCC? Or just Paulson? Also I'm still a newbie here what's a CMYK? Sorry! (n) :thumbsdown:

would this color wheel also apply to Ceramic Vendors like GOCC? Or just Paulson?

What he's doing is comparing Paulson color chip samples to Pantone samples (Pantone provides something of a printing industry standard color sample) and the corresponding CMYK code that Pantone uses to create that color. He'll then have ceramic color wheels made with those CMYK codes on there, with shades above and below the target color.

It's important to note that how GOCC prints a specific CMYK code may look different than what OWPS can create, which might look different than PGI's version. That's part of the reason why it's important to have a couple shades lighter and darker than the target. You start with the target CMYK colors and get prototypes made. Once you receive them, you can adjust your shading up or down a tick based on how that ceramic manufacturer prints them.

@Psypher1000 pretty much nailed it. I had my PCF commemorative chips made by OWPS. Later on I got some samples done with the same exact artwork by GOCC and the colors were noticeably different.

I've been under the weather the last few days so I put this project on hold for a while. Here are some colors that I matched up (close anyway) to some OWPS color wheels and the Pantone CMYK swatches.

20160219_024628.jpg 20160219_025027_002.jpg 20160219_091918.jpg 20160222_002445_001.jpg 20160222_003550_001.jpg 20160222_004417.jpg 20160222_005010.jpg 20160223_004506.jpg 20160223_005601.jpg 20160223_010237.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom