Paulson Classic Replica (1 Viewer)

homegameforlife

High Hand
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am looking for a set of chips that come close to the Paulson Classic. There's something about the simplicity of the chips that really appeal to me but I don't see myself paying $2-$4 for a chip right now.

I've looked at other chips in my $0.5-$1 / chip budget but they either look too busy or don't fit my personal taste.

Anyone have any recommendations?

There were some truly awful plastic clones made in China about 10-15 years ago, with unlaminated labels that would bleed color onto your hands, felt, and anything else they touched. 9g unplugged plastic/soap that crumbled easily.

Crappy reproductions of crappy chips are not my idea of legitimate poker equipment.

This probably won't help the OP, but I thought I'd add it for posterity:

These are/were sold in Europe, but some denoms are sold out: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/12-star-clay-chips-recomendable.58899/

They are IMO as good quality as any other China clay, e.g. Milanos or Majestic (for example, mine stack equally high between denoms, a rare treat amongst china clays!), but beware the two different versions which I mention in that thread.

Paulson Classics are the textbook example of why not to color-match inlay backgrounds to edge spot colors.
100%. Those inlays ruin what is otherwise a decent lineup of chips. The $5 chip is really the only ugly chip imo.

This probably won't help the OP, but I thought I'd add it for posterity:

These are/were sold in Europe, but some denoms are sold out: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/12-star-clay-chips-recomendable.58899/

They are IMO as good quality as any other China clay, e.g. Milanos or Majestic (for example, mine stack equally high between denoms, a rare treat amongst china clays!), but beware the two different versions which I mention in that thread.
Friend had these, so I've played a good amount with these as well. Decent chips no doubt, and the non-chippers loved them and often complemented them.

There were some truly awful plastic clones made in China about 10-15 years ago, with unlaminated labels that would bleed color onto your hands, felt, and anything else they touched. 9g unplugged plastic/soap that crumbled easily.

Crappy reproductions of crappy chips are not my idea of legitimate poker equipment.
I remember these…there used to be multiple eBay sales that would put a 500 chip set of them together and include ONE Paulson classic chip, apparently so they could put Paulson in the title.
Very misleading and scammy.

I thought the Da Vinci brand made a plastic Classics knock off when talking about base and inlay colour. Why make a crappy material copy of a crappy design? Save your money. With just a little more you can do something custom.

Why make a crappy material copy of a crappy design?
They made a copy of a chip that was popular when it came out, and still commands decent prices today used. So many new chippers are looking for them…I think to the general masses outside of this place, they are very desirable.

China clays aren't injection molded, their spots do go thru the entire chip (at least several I have tested) and their chemical analysis consisted of mostly the same materials as other "compression" molded chips i.e. Paulson, BCC, and CPC; mainly calcium carbonate. I was told by someone (I may still have the email) that for one of the CPC molds, the inlay isn't pressed into the chip but affixed w glue afterwards....thus basically a label. I have no idea if that's at all true but l bring all this up to remind us all that to each their own and it's ok to like or even prefer the cost and flexibility of what china clays can offer. The only bad CC I owned were sold by Palm Gaming; they basically disintegrated over time with minimal use and eventually thrown away. All the others, and I've owned many, were quite nice.

Hey all,

I am looking for a set of chips that come close to the Paulson Classic. There's something about the simplicity of the chips that really appeal to me but I don't see myself paying $2-$4 for a chip right now.

I've looked at other chips in my $0.5-$1 / chip budget but they either look too busy or don't fit my personal taste.

Anyone have any recommendations?
Log out don’t come back!

I’m not being rude I’m trying to save you, I’m a rack and a half into 15-20 a chip. I was riding in the car, seen a post like 45 mins after it was post and frantically scrolling to see if it had been dibs because they were only 12 a chip. Only, you want those 2-4 a chip, wait 6 months and you’ll be buying them for 3-6
Also wait 6 months your tastes will change

Get out!! Save yourself!!!!

I was told by someone (I may still have the email) that for one of the CPC molds, the inlay isn't pressed into the chip but affixed w glue afterwards....thus basically a label. I have no idea if that's at all true but l bring all this up to remind us all that to each their own and it's ok to like or even prefer the cost and flexibility of what china clays can offer. The only bad CC I owned were sold by Palm Gaming; they basically disintegrated over time with minimal use and eventually thrown away. All the others, and I've owned many, were quite nice.
I hadnt heard that before...but I will say that it is my understanding that the inlay is lightly glued to the blank slug before the final pressing of the clay chip. It's glued to hold it in the right place. You can see that glue shape when when an inlay is removed from a clay chip.

I hadnt heard that before...but I will say that it is my understanding that the inlay is lightly glued to the blank slug before the final pressing of the clay chip. It's glued to hold it in the right place. You can see that glue shape when when an inlay is removed from a clay chip.
Yeah I was told it's was only one specific mold. I'll leave it alone though since it was years ago and never confirmed afaik.

China clays aren't injection molded, their spots do go thru the entire chip (at least several I have tested) and their chemical analysis consisted of mostly the same materials as other "compression" molded chips i.e. Paulson, BCC, and CPC; mainly calcium carbonate. I was told by someone (I may still have the email) that for one of the CPC molds, the inlay isn't pressed into the chip but affixed w glue afterwards....thus basically a label. I have no idea if that's at all true but l bring all this up to remind us all that to each their own and it's ok to like or even prefer the cost and flexibility of what china clays can offer. The only bad CC I owned were sold by Palm Gaming; they basically disintegrated over time with minimal use and eventually thrown away. All the others, and I've owned many, were quite nice.
China clays are absolutely injection-molded.

Examples of both overlaid and through-spots exist, and both are possible with injection-molds depending on mold design and specific injection process.

China clays are absolutely injection-molded.

Examples of both overlaid and through-spots exist, and both are possible with injection-molds depending on mold design and specific injection process.
I've looked for the injection dimple on several different versions and couldn't find it so thought maybe some other process.
For example the CC Pharaohs described as "Solid clay; "Each chip is solid clay and is custom molded just like a Paulson".

Thanks for all the solid feedback guys. I'm looking at card mold as my most likely next buy. I saw that Tina might be releasing a new THC or RHC mold so that gets us even closer to what I'm looking for.

I've looked for the injection dimple on several different versions and couldn't find it so thought maybe some other process.
For example the CC Pharaohs described as "Solid clay; "Each chip is solid clay and is custom molded just like a Paulson".
Yeah, that CT front page proclimation was a big fat lie. @bergs

The final injection tree cut-off is under the label on one side. The spots are first injected in stages, depending upon complexity.

The final injection tree cut-off is under the label on one side. The spots are first injected in stages, depending upon complexity.
Lie or not, it's still being used today by a vendor here.

Sure, I called him out, but my dumb ass still bought a lifetime membership on the blue wall. (Flogs self repeatedly without changing facial expression)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom