Paulson Chips Value (2 Viewers)

mnebesny

Flush
Reaction score
Would there be any reason why Paulson chips would decrease in value other than wear? I'm new to PCF and want to get a Paulson set, but want to to retain some value incase I want to sell and get a larger/different set down the road. Any advice/suggestions?

If you are anything like most of us you will probably change your mind over time. I've been buying/selling chips as I continuously change my mind for a few years now. There's been a few outliers, but in general +- 10%/transaction. Mostly I think the postman makes money off the situation.

The only thing I think would significantly decrease the value is if:
1) Supply changed: The manufacturer started selling customs to everyone at something close to their manufacturing cost (not currently available to the public)
2) Demand changed: Macroeconomic turmoil caused a larger economic downturn altering spending power

Popularity/trend: there's some new hotness that everyone wants instead of what you have
Demand: if the population of people playing home-poker diminishes, there will be fewer buyers with more options
Desperation: if you need to sell your chips NOW, you may not get the right buyer willing to pay for them
Damage: if the chips are damaged (during cleaning, for example) they will be less desirable than an undamaged equivalent
Reputation: if the community decides they don't want to buy from you, the pool of buyers shrinks considerably

Another thing to consider if you are not basing your purchases in USD, is that ALL purchases on PCF are based on USD. Drastic changes in exchange rate can affect price more than the whims of desirability.

This comes from someone who was out for years and decided to start buying again during the Pandemic. :banghead:

Of course the value of Paulson chips can go down. Not by a cent or two, but perhaps losing most of their value. The foremost thing to keep in mind is how thin the market is. There are not many buyers nor many sellers. It doesn't take much to move that kind of market. Really only a couple of dedicated buyers can move markets in a big way.

Sets from limited sources are more prone to sharp price swings vs sets from larger venues or giant group buys.

The general economic conditions matter. When people are worried about rent, food, clothing etc. They sell no matter the price. And often buyers can't be found. Boom times work the otherway. The buyer wants the chips, price be damned and even then sellers can't be found.

Popularity changes. Once upon a time, coin in center bud jones chips were red hot. Not so much any more. Remember the faux clay nation? not many people do. boat chips were blazing hot, now just hot. But by next year? who knows.

I guess there is a "floor" of sorts. You buy a Paulson set for well under a buck and likely you will always be able to sell them for under a buck, if not more.

No assurances that you can get your money back. And always be mindful that shipping is a constant friction. That is money you likely shouldn't expect to recover.

Buy them if you like them. Plan to use them. But getting your money back is no sure thing.

DrStrange

Of course the value of Paulson chips can go down. Not by a cent or two, but perhaps losing most of their value. The foremost thing to keep in mind is how thin the market is. There are not many buyers nor many sellers. It doesn't take much to move that kind of market. Really only a couple of dedicated buyers can move markets in a big way.

Sets from limited sources are more prone to sharp price swings vs sets from larger venues or giant group buys.

The general economic conditions matter. When people are worried about rent, food, clothing etc. They sell no matter the price. And often buyers can't be found. Boom times work the otherway. The buyer wants the chips, price be damned and even then sellers can't be found.

Popularity changes. Once upon a time, coin in center bud jones chips were red hot. Not so much any more. Remember the faux clay nation? not many people do. boat chips were blazing hot, now just hot. But by next year? who knows.

I guess there is a "floor" of sorts. You buy a Paulson set for well under a buck and likely you will always be able to sell them for under a buck, if not more.

No assurances that you can get your money back. And always be mindful that shipping is a constant friction. That is money you likely shouldn't expect to recover.

Buy them if you like them. Plan to use them. But getting your money back is no sure thing.

DrStrange

/thread

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom