Patent Law (1 Viewer)

FDLmold

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Anybody here know anything about becoming a patent lawyer, the career, job prospects and outlook, etc? I have the technical background (chemistry and chemical engineering) and have half a mind to take a flier on taking the LSAT and seeing what’s what. (1% chance it actually happens, but they said the same thing about Trump winning 2016, and here we are anyway.). Just doing some preliminary research.

1604183911155.gif

Anybody here know anything about becoming a patent lawyer, the career, job prospects and outlook, etc? I have the technical background (chemistry and chemical engineering) and have half a mind to take a flier on taking the LSAT and seeing what’s what. (1% chance it actually happens, but they said the same thing about Trump winning 2016, and here we are anyway.). Just doing some preliminary research.
Very long hours and very cut-throat. But also very lucrative.

I wouldn't say "want to". More like I'm a public school teacher, love my job, but the pay is shit and my family is on one income (maybe one and a half), and in 25 years I'm getting jack for pension, and let's face it, the FICA ponzi scheme isn't going to have much for me either.

Like I said, it's a *thought*. Probably going nowhere. But you never know.

this was more a meme about my internal struggles with wanting to practice law but ended up in tech cause a hot girl encouraged me to take cobol during my undergrad. follow your dreams brother.

I wouldn't say "want to". More like I'm a public school teacher, love my job, but the pay is shit and my family is on one income (maybe one and a half), and in 25 years I'm getting jack for pension, and let's face it, the FICA ponzi scheme isn't going to have much for me either.

Like I said, it's a *thought*. Probably going nowhere. But you never know.
Back to my post... The pay is substantially more but so is the lifestyle change from a teacher. Something only you can consider for yourself...

Back to my post... The pay is substantially more but so is the lifestyle change from a teacher. Something only you can consider for yourself...
Teaching is only fun for me when students are in my classroom. It is boring otherwise. And I get zero extra pay whether I put in 40 hrs a week or 80, so there is no incentive for me to have teaching intrude into my family time. My raise this year I've heard is...wait for it...$400. I'd put in more time for more pay, absolutely, to be able to better take care of me and mine.

So I'm considering other options. Chances are really good I'll retire as a school teacher in a couple decades +. But let's say I say the heck with it and spend the $200 and take the LSAT and pulverize it...which I *could* do...then who knows?

I don't know much about being a lawyer, but I was an LSAT instructor in college for some extra cash. A little bit of test prep goes a long way if you aren't a great test taker. You don't need to take an LSAT class, but buy a book with some tips and old tests in it and it will get the job done.

Teaching is only fun for me when students are in my classroom. It is boring otherwise. And I get zero extra pay whether I put in 40 hrs a week or 80, so there is no incentive for me to have teaching intrude into my family time. My raise this year I've heard is...wait for it...$400. I'd put in more time for more pay, absolutely, to be able to better take care of me and mine.

So I'm considering other options. Chances are really good I'll retire as a school teacher in a couple decades +. But let's say I say the heck with it and spend the $200 and take the LSAT and pulverize it...which I *could* do...then who knows?
I get everything you’re saying. I do. But remember...when the union control lifts, the personal fight for every step of progress comes in.

I don’t get added pay for doing more either, but it helps my career too...

A good friend of mine told me once that his number one reason for going into teaching in the beginning was the idea of summers off. He ended up going back to college, getting his masters and becoming a professor at a major university.
Gotta do what makes you happy. It’s all about finding a good life balance IMO. I know absolutely nothing about being a lawyer, but if you think it would improve your lifestyle and it’s something you’d enjoy more, why not give it a shot?

Lawyer here, but I don't do patent law. I do know patent attorneys so I can offer at least some info. The fact that you have a technical background is a huge plus and will help. Patent law is a pretty solid field with both a high ceiling and high floor for earnings (although I'm not saying $$$$$$$ is guaranteed). The patent attorneys I know usually had a computer science or engineering background with some work experience which helped with landing their legal jobs. The legal hiring process from law school to big legal firms is typically very rigid and things like grades, class rankings, law review journal positions, etc...determine what opportunities will be available. Patent guys get a bit more wiggle room as your route to hiring isn't "traditional" because of the demand for a technical background. You and the typical 26 y/o law school graduate with a political science degree aren't seen the same in the eyes of technical/patent firms.

My number 1 piece of advise right now is study as much as you can for the LSAT. That is a huge money maker for you in terms of scholarships. Take it more than once if you have to. I treated LSAT prep as a part-time job and probably ended up taking 30+ practice tests. That helped me go from averaging a ~160 to a ~170. As a result I was able to get a full tuition scholarship based off of my LSAT score (even as a white dude). I'm not exceptional, you can do it too if you put in the time.

If you have more detailed questions about the application process feel free to PM me.

I am a lawyer, but don’t do patent law. I went to night school while working as a law clerk At a law firm during the day so I know a person in your position can do it. It’s tough for sure but doable if you are committed. As with any professional there are those that excel and do well and those that don’t. Becoming a lawyer is not a guarantee of financial success. However, there is nothing wrong with taking the LSAT to see how you do and even applying to some law schools. Then assessing your situation after you get your results. I do agree with @chicubs1988 that you should take it seriously and study as much as you can. It needs to be a priority. Law school (as well as the practice of law) is difficult and time intensive so u might as well get used to that lifestyle change now.

I am a lawyer, but don’t do patent law. I went to night school while working as a law clerk At a law firm during the day so I know a person in your position can do it. It’s tough for sure but doable if you are committed. As with any professional there are those that excel and do well and those that don’t. Becoming a lawyer is not a guarantee of financial success. However, there is nothing wrong with taking the LSAT to see how you do and even applying to some law schools. Then assessing your situation after you get your results. I do agree with @chicubs1988 that you should take it seriously and study as much as you can. It needs to be a priority. Law school (as well as the practice of law) is difficult and time intensive so u might as well get used to that lifestyle change now.
Nice! Well done on doing the difficult thing and succeeding.

I enjoy difficult (but not opaque/insurmountable). My brain thrives on it. I finished an online Masters in Mathematics recently, and I *liked* it.

Step one, LSAT. I'll start there.

I live within driving distance of Notre Dame. I wonder how much they knock off their $67k yearly tuition for a middle-aged white guy who aces the LSAT? LOL

Nice! Well done on doing the difficult thing and succeeding.

I enjoy difficult (but not opaque/insurmountable). My brain thrives on it. I finished an online Masters in Mathematics recently, and I *liked* it.

Step one, LSAT. I'll start there.

I live within driving distance of Notre Dame. I wonder how much they knock off their $67k yearly tuition for a middle-aged white guy who aces the LSAT? LOL

If you score in the high 160s or better....they might give you a huge one. I went to a similarly ranked school in the Midwest. If I recall correctly, ND was offering 50% tuition or more to people with numbers like that when I was applying. Take LSAT prep seriously, it’s worth the reward.

Pretty sure the LSAT is the kid of deal where admissions average all your scores (if you take it multiple times) instead of just looking at the highest score. So you want to take it once and get it right. So, exam prep!

Pretty sure the LSAT is the kid of deal where admissions average all your scores (if you take it multiple times) instead of just looking at the highest score. So you want to take it once and get it right. So, exam prep!

Unless this has changed recently, that isn’t entirely correct. Law schools will be able to see all of your scores, however when they report LSAT scores for ranking purposes, they only have to use your highest score. So yes you want to do well the first time, but most schools will not average your scores.

Unless this has changed recently, that isn’t entirely correct. Law schools will be able to see all of your scores, however when they report LSAT scores for ranking purposes, they only have to use your highest score. So yes you want to do well the first time, but most schools will not average your scores.
You may be right. I'm definitely not sure. But it's surely worth finding out for certain.

I am a law professor at a top 20 school. Generally speaking, students with hard science backgrounds interested in patent law have an easier time landing jobs than the rest of the class. The number of students that have a science degree is relatively small compared to the number with political science/English/history/etc. degrees. At least that’s how it is at our school.

Most law schools are looking at GPA and LSAT numbers first so I echo the sentiment others have shared — take a prep class (almost every law student takes a prep course nowadays) and get your numbers as high as possible. Then assess what schools you could get into and whether it’s worth it. Generally speaking, the higher the school is ranked, the better your job prospects.

I am a law professor at a top 20 school. Generally speaking, students with hard science backgrounds interested in patent law have an easier time landing jobs than the rest of the class. The number of students that have a science degree is relatively small compared to the number with political science/English/history/etc. degrees. At least that’s how it is at our school.

Most law schools are looking at GPA and LSAT numbers first so I echo the sentiment others have shared — take a prep class (almost every law student takes a prep course nowadays) and get your numbers as high as possible. Then assess what schools you could get into and whether it’s worth it. Generally speaking, the higher the school is ranked, the better your job prospects.
Good to know! This is why I started the thread. My brain is as sharp as ever, though maybe not my eyesight or my knees. My wife is on board with this if I can pull it off. Chances are still in the single digit percents, but they are climbing. Maybe up to 1.5% today.

LSAT has a writing portion, and they don't grade it. But they DO submit it to law schools. And it is a straight up bell curve for how many schools view the writing part with any importance. That's the part where I'd probably be the weakest. I can write well, if given time. Under the gun? Eh, not so much.

Good to know! This is why I started the thread. My brain is as sharp as ever, though maybe not my eyesight or my knees. My wife is on board with this if I can pull it off. Chances are still in the single digit percents, but they are climbing. Maybe up to 1.5% today.

LSAT has a writing portion, and they don't grade it. But they DO submit it to law schools. And it is a straight up bell curve for how many schools view the writing part with any importance. That's the part where I'd probably be the weakest. I can write well, if given time. Under the gun? Eh, not so much.

Just use headings and short sentences and paragraphs. Schools are mostly looking to see if can you organize your analysis with clarity.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom