Patching a poker table (removed shuffler... a hole remains) (1 Viewer)

davethesave

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am new here. I love this forum. I have been browsing with what seems like hours! I have a number of poker tables that I have either inherited or acquired via cheaper auctions etc. etc.

I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere, but has anyone had any experience patching up a table that once had a shuffler and now is out of commission due to the cavernous hole remaining? The reason I ask is I am weighing options whether to just sell them off to someone willing to put the work in/have a shuffler to mount to the table, or maybe I make it a project of mine...

Any help would be awesome!

I love this forum! I am like a kid in a candy store!

DTS
Canada

Cut a piece of wood to fit and fit the underside of the table with 3-4 sliding pin-type door looks.

Put the 'receiver ' parts of the locks on the piece of wood you cut....

For an easy permanent fix -- planning on replacing the existing padding and felt with all new materials -- cut a piece of plywood 3 to 4 inches (both dimensions) larger than the opening and screw it into the underneath side of the table (centered under the opening). Use a thin coat of glue around the edges for extra support

Cut another piece of plywood (using the same thickness plywood as the table surface sheet) to nearly identical dimensions to the opening size and drop it into the hole from above. Secure with glue and a few screws, then add wood flller and sand to a flat surface. Recover the now-solid surface with new foam padding and new felt.

To retain the existing felt, install the support piece (first paragraph), but create a padded insert with felt to drop into the cutout opening. If dimensionally correct, you won't need to secure it in place (although screws from the underside can be used if desired).

@BGinGA
Your "to retain" paragraph... are you saying to quickly fix it... ? Has anyone seen tables like this? I mean the seams will still be there however it SEAMS like the easiest and most cost efficient solution... albeit a bit of an eye sore...

@BGinGA
Your "to retain" paragraph... are you saying to quickly fix it... ? Has anyone seen tables like this? I mean the seams will still be there however it SEAMS like the easiest and most cost efficient solution... albeit a bit of an eye sore...
An insert is actually not that uncommon, or particularly ugly, even -- it's not really a quicker fix, but it is cheaper than replacing padding/felt for the entire table surface.

Most tables that have a 'drop-in' insert are using it to replace a existing dealer tray cut-out, but while retaining the option of using the tray when desired. There are pics (somewhere on PCF) of inserts with suited speed cloth, with the pattern lined up so that it's relatively invisible.

An insert is actually not that uncommon, or particularly ugly, even -- it's not really a quicker fix, but it is cheaper than replacing padding/felt for the entire table surface.

Most tables that have a 'drop-in' insert are using it to replace a existing dealer tray cut-out, but while retaining the option of using the tray when desired. There are pics (somewhere on PCF) of inserts with suited speed cloth, with the pattern lined up so that it's relatively invisible.

this is so very helpful! As far as speed cloth- is it quite easy to track down small amounts of it? I know sellers want to sell a tables worth of it usually...

Typically sold by the linear foot or yard, but you could probably contact a table builder (or post a wanted ad) for left-over scraps from somebody's recent table build.

Typically sold by the linear foot or yard, but you could probably contact a table builder (or post a wanted ad) for left-over scraps from somebody's recent table build.

you are amazing. So happy with the community here!! You guys and gals are awesome!!!

It will be two or three days time (cost for foam + new playing surface). This should be around $80.

I'm presuming that your table is missing cloth and wood where the shuffling machine was, pictures would help!!

Here's what you do:

(.5) Take off the railing, this may require several screws.
1. Strip the playing surface and underlying foam. This is all going to be disposed of so make sure to scrape the wood clean as much as you can so the new layers are even.
2. Measure the hole left by the shuffling machine in the wood beneath the playing surface.
3. Purchase or cut similar wood to what your table is made of (A) as well as a larger piece (B).
4. Using wood glue, take your new wood piece (A) and place it as flush as possible with your table. Glue and let it dry for at least 24 hours. During this time, screw your larger piece of wood (B) to the bottom of the table so that it will hold the new piece of wood.

5. Re-foam the bottom layer.
6. Re-upholster the table.
7. Re-screw the railing onto the playing surface.

More than happy to elaborate if this is unclear.

Oh, and for well priced foam, check your local car upholstery shops or online poker stores. A good price is around $40-50 for 1/4"x8'x4x. If you want another padding, check poker table websites.

For well priced cloth, chose either speed cloth or velveteen. MOST* other playing surfaces are trash imo. You can check your local fabric store for this or online websites. I can guide you towards common places if you need a starting point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom