SB calls 2.5
BB, fold

Flop: (10 BB, 3 players) :6h: :6d: :9d:
SB checks,
Hero bets 6.67
BB
fold,
SB calls 6.67 BB

Play seems fairly standard, I have no complete reads on anyone but no one has been out of control. I have a TAG image right now due to not having a bunch of hands.

Would appreciate any feedback preflop and then flop play

PokerStars - $0.30 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BB: 152.5 BB
UTG: 152.13 BB
MP: 101.57 BB
Hero (CO): 151.87 BB
BTN: 138.63 BB
SB: 92.9 BB

SB
posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has :9c: :ah:

fold,
fold,
Hero raises to 3 BB,
BTN calls 3 BB,
SB calls 2.5
BB, fold

SB checks,
Hero bets 6.67
BB
fold,
SB calls 6.67 BB
BB folded twice?

Given that this is online, SB called the PF raise with his favourite hand of 69o, and hit the boat on the flop. You need to hit runner-runner AA in order to stand a chance.

Last edited:
- i don’t like his call preflop, especially vs a 3x open from CO. The bigger your opening size, the less inclined he should be to have a calling range. Anyway he does it so...
- i like your sizing. You will get value from low and middle pocket pairs that makes decent part of his range. You make him fold hands some hands that have equity against your pair of nine. You get good value from J9, JT, QJo that he could have and punish FD. Maybe overbetting is an option since he shouldn’t have many 6 and you block 99 but i wouldn’t do it.

Certainly opening from CO with this hand.
With position the flop bet is a required play for protection IMHO. Never checking this flop needing protection.
Sizing is ok, I might have gone 1/2 pot and BN folds and SB calls with a 6 or a straight/flush draw.
I usually size down multi-way because the odds of many villains having connected is higher than heads up.
Dont know if you get anyone with decent equity to fold with 3/4 pot vs 1/2 pot so I might size down to 1/2.
Minor though. On to the turn!

SB

fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, BTN calls 3 BB, SB calls 2.5 BB, fold

SB checks,
Hero bets 6.67 BB,
BTN fold,
SB calls 6.67 BB

Turn: (23.33 BB, 2 players) :ac:
SB checks,
Hero bets 10 BB,
SB calls 10 BB

A little scared of the check/call from the SB now but I feel like I'm still ahead.

He could have a 6, weaker 9, or a FD/combo draw e.g. 7d8d or gutshot with diamonds. I would think a 6 would X/R flop with the diamond draw out there.
Fade a diamond/straightening card on the river and barrel! Hoping for the 3c!

Well you are half way through the runner-runner AA, but for now I still think his 69o boat is floating along, willing for you to maintain the aggression. Can't wait to see the A on the river!

SB

fold,
fold,
Hero raises to 3 BB,
BTN calls 3 BB,
SB calls 2.5 BB, fold

SB checks,
Hero bets 6.67 BB,
BTN fold,
SB calls 6.67 BB

SB checks,
Hero bets 10 BB,
SB calls 10 BB

River: (43.33 BB, 2 players) :kc:
SB bets 27.57 BB,
Hero ????? (In my head, son of a B@#$%!)

He shouldn’t have AA, AK or KK as he flatted pre and no draws completed. Looks like he has K9, A6, or K6. I think if he had the 6 he would have raised flop with the FD on the flop.

Other option with the board paired he probably has 99 and doesn’t want it to check through so he leads for value.

at these stakes I’m folding this type of lead on a paired board 80% of the time.

flip a coin: heads, call; tails, fold

Edit: continuing to think - he either has 69, 99 or a busted diamond draw; 69 and 99 would play just like this IMHO. 6x X/R flop with the draw onboard generally, I think K9/A9 calls flop but K9 folds turn high % of the time; one 9 out there so 3 combos of 99 left + 2 combos of 69s. 28 to win 71 = about 3:1 so you need to be good here 25% of the time. You lose to 5 combos of 99 and 69 and there are multiple diamond draws. I think you have the odds to call here as he has many bluffs in busted diamond draws weaker value in A9/K9 but very few hands that beat you. At these stakes I would fold but I think you can justify calling given the odds and the number of bluffs vs winning combos.

Last edited:

SB

fold, fold,
Hero raises to 3 BB,
BTN calls 3 BB,
SB calls 2.5 BB, fold

Flop: (10 BB, 3 players) :6h: :6d::9d:
SB checks,
Hero bets 6.67
BTN
, fold,
SB calls 6.67 BB

SB checks,
Hero bets 10 BB,
SB calls 10 BB

River: (43.33 BB, 2 players) :kc:
SB bets 27.57 BB,
Hero calls 27.57 BB ( I tanked for a while before deciding to call. And I absolutely hate tanking)

SB shows :6s: :6c: (Four of a Kind, Sixes) (Perfectly played by him, nice hand sir)
(Pre 56%, Flop 99.9%, Turn 100%)
Hero mucks :9c: :ah: (Two Pair, Aces and Nines) (Keep studying you donk and find a fold on the river, oh well)
(Pre 44%, Flop 0.1%, Turn 0%)
SB wins 93.53 BB

These mistakes always makes sense in the end for me but its analyzing it in real-time that's a real weakness of mine. I seem to find myself in these situations a decent number of times in my sessions and it really cuts into my profits.

Last edited:
Well I was wrong, they didn't have a 69o boat, they had a 66 quad! Even runner-runner AA wouldn't help. ;)

I find (especially online) if someone OOP checks into me and calls a substantial raise, and then does it again, unless I have the nuts, I'm checking back the turn and folding to any sign of aggression on the river.

Without a read that villain never bluffs the river, this is a tough one to fold, imo. You can beat a lot of spew, overplayed Ax, missed diamonds. You really would need enough history know if a river bet like this is never a bluff. Because the only monsters that make sense are the case 66 and the case 99. Even 99 is in a lot of 3-bet ranges pre depending on the villain.

Calling it a "mistake' seems results-oriented and a little too harsh. You got trapped by what turned out to be a very unlucky turn. If anything else (aside from a 9) hits the turn, you can fold this pretty easily.

tldr: sometimes we lose here, but the price is right for a call; thanks for giving us a fun spot to think through!

As played, the river seems like a hard spot for villain to have smart bluffs. Your most natural flop semi-bluffs are AdXd and KdXd, and villain is donking into you after two great range cards for hero on the turn and river where those bluffs now have showdown value as high as AK. And, with a real hand, he's denying you the chance to continue selling your story with QdJd, QdTd, JdTd, etc., especially at ~60% pot. The river donk is also way too big to be a block bet, but I could easily see myself in real-time reading that as a sizing mistake rather than just a pure value bet. I'm curious if he's just targeting your top of range with his exact hand, trying to get it all in against 99, AA, or KK. You've obviously got at least 99 and AA through this line, and likely some KK, too.

It is nice that we don't have Ad. I'd imagine some portion of villain's range is AdXd that decided to play a check-call line, and I could see some villains trying to block bet an ace worried that you'll check back a rivered king, QQ, etc. The suited wheel aces up through Ad8d obviously unblock all your KdXd broadways that might shrug call a block bet, and maybe he's just trying to chopblock your AQ-AT. And it's legitimately valuable that we're beating other aces, and it's nice for villain here that if he as AX and you have AK, you really can't raise this sizing for value. But with a cutoff open and a button flat, a lot of those suited aces should be 3betting pre, right? Likely 3betting AQ-AT, and I'm sure finding SB 3bets with all suited aces at some frequency depending on player type.

I'm also sure there are a few combos that can be assigned if villain takes this line with 8x7x or busted diamonds, gets to the river, and thinks, "I guess I have to bluff now." Spaz bluffs definitely are a thing that happens.

I'm probably finding a call here in real time with no reads that villain is massively incapable of bluffing and with the fact that we're beating other aces trying to chopblock. He has one combo of 66, one combo of 99, 9s6s, and As6s. Maybe he plays Ks6s, maybe not. Even if you give him all loosey-goosey A6o and 96o, that's only eight more combos total. (Right? Bad at math, help). Max of 13 values combos?

Range-wise, I also don't know what better hands we're calling with here besides AK. Maybe we have enough AK for that to be our calling range alone, but we're likely river raising AA, KK, 99 and being shown the bad news. I think AK and A9 are calls, and then some of other aces might start falling off from there. I think A9 is an even better call than AK since they're functionally the same hand strength as played but A9 blocks 99 (if he's calling it pre rather than 3betting it) and 9c6c (if he's calling it pre rather than folding it).

After thinking through the spot, I think the main things that would make this a fist pump call would be that villain is very snug with 3bets pre from a normally very 3bet-happy spot (keeping all his AdXd in range) and that villain is thinking enough to chop block your aces that aren't AK or A9 and/or get thin against your KdXd or a frustrated and stubborn QQ.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
He has one combo of 66, one combo of 99, 9s6s, and As6s. Maybe he plays Ks6s, maybe not. Even if you give him all loosey-goosey A6o and 96o, that's only eight more combos total. (Right? Bad at math, help).
You make a good point that A6 probably belongs in villain's range and maaaaybe 96 as well. But suited those combos are only possible in spades as you point out. If you add the off suit A6, there are 3 other combos (As6c, Ad6c, Ad6c), and three other combos of 96o (9s6c, 9h6c, 9h6s), so right answer, just double counted the suited combos.

So 10 combos total unless you are throwing 4 more combos of K6 in as well. So worst case 14 combos. Pot is laying about 3-1, so hero needs to call if we can come up with 1 bluff for every 3 value hands. So we have to have the read that villain is never bluffing missed diamonds or missed straights here. Maybe the board texture reveals that with an A and K on board, he's less likely to do that. But that's not a strategy point I am willing to assign to an "unknown" with no read. Also I am not inclined to assign any more value than 99, 66, or A6s without a read that villain is pretty loose.

I think the call is fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom