PAHWM: KJs on the Button (1 Viewer)

Legend5555

Full House
Reaction score
Online Micros

Villain is playing around 22/17 over 100 hands. Not the most to go off of, but enough to get a general sense of his play. He has opened from the SB into HERO in the BB 100% of his hands thus far that are folded to him for 3.5x. Indicating to HERO that Villain knows to open quite wide in that spot.

Folds to Villain in CO who opens to 2.6x. Hero?

Preflop.PNG

JK suited at the button, Villain Raise 2.6 BB

It look like a prefect time to squeeze and also reduce the number of people who see the flop (Esp since BB is a very sticky person) as JK dont really do that well if up to 4 people see the flop and yet JKs have so much potential straight flush and Double pair what i like to call the triple threat

I will raise to 8.5 BB hopefully we can just win this without seeing the flop but always are still good to play with position till SD.

However i will fold if someone 4B my raise

Last edited:
Online Micros

Villain is playing around 22/17 over 100 hands. Not the most to go off of, but enough to get a general sense of his play. He has opened from the SB into HERO in the BB 100% of his hands thus far that are folded to him for 3.5x. Indicating to HERO that Villain knows to open quite wide in that spot.

Preflop.PNG

Hero mixes here, but it's a 3bet more often than a call. Especially against a villain that has normal opening standards. Hero raises. Villain calls.

Villain checks. Hero?

Preflop2.PNG

Flop.PNG

Being the 3 better pre flop A on the flop is a good card for us, 2 heart plus maybe a straight draw it a wet board for us to semi bluff bet, I will bet around 9.5-10bb building the pot up so if we hit the nut flush we also be able to extract the max value.

If also good to take down the pot with K high if the villain fold to the bet.

I 'd bet 2/3 pot (12BBs).
If called, it means we 're facing A9 or A5. Let's see the turn and either jam or fold.

I agree with @LeLe pre and in position, I love this flop for us.

I like a 2/3 bet here. Hero could have a couple A hands here and he’s trying to let you keep momentum. Not really worried about a CR here, but I doubt Villian is folding his hand either.

Online Micros

Preflop.PNG

Hero mixes here, but it's a 3bet more often than a call. Especially against a villain that has normal opening standards. Hero raises. Villain calls.

Villain checks. Hero?

Preflop2.PNG

Flop.PNG

Spot where Hero isn't sure what the correct bet sizing is. Seems like a flop Hero wants to bet with the majority of his range, so Hero sizes down. Villain calls.

Turn, Villain checks. Hero?

Flop2.PNG

Turn.PNG

Just seeing this thread now - moving fast!
Agree with the 3! pre, raising to 3.5 to 4x here IP.
Standard 3! flop cbet for me is 1/3 pot so I agree with the cbet and the sizing.
When V calls cbet I will guess that they have Ax (AQ-), PP (JJ-) that missed the board. I think AK/AA/KK/QQ 4! pre and/or raises flop with FD on flop. I also think a flopped set or 2 pair (A5s/A9s) is likely to raise flop with the FD out there. I cant think of draws that V calls flop with that would be in 3! calling range. The turn connects with V's preflop calling range (ATs/TT), but we pick up additional outs.

So I think it is likely that we are behind here, have 9 FD outs and 3 gutshot outs for 25% equity.
I'm not sure a bet here will get better hands to fold or worse hands to call; maybe 66 - 88 fold here. If I bet and I am raised it will be a snap fold.
Given my perceived lack of FE I and how well the board connects with V's perceived range considering the cbet call, I X here to realize my equity on the river.

With V calling us at Flop and checking to us at Turn, plus the 10 giving us more out.

We have 2 option here, we could check it here at Turn to pot control and go for a free card as we still drawing with only K high now

Or we could try to semi bluff with our draw, but for this case we need to bet around 28% of the V's stack size which is about 30 bb now so if we hit our draw, V is pot committed to go all in at river.

Either play are good here, it depend how much you are willing to gamble

Preflop: Good position for a 3 bet!

On Flop: I would bet more like 75% of the pot to try to induce possible weak Ax to fold.

On Turn: Hard spot... but I think I usually would betting it big, going for a 20BB bet and then probably give up if I don't hit on river.

Finally getting around to updating this. Been aware from my computer most of the last 24hrs.

Online Micros

Preflop.PNG

Villain checks. Hero?

Preflop2.PNG

Flop.PNG

Spot where Hero isn't sure what the correct bet sizing is. Seems like a flop Hero wants to bet with the majority of his range, so Hero sizes down. Villain calls.

Turn, Villain checks. Hero?

Flop2.PNG

Turn.PNG

Hero decides to keep the pressure on. Though in hindsight, I think checking back is also a legit play here. Hero blocks a lot of the draws he'd like to bet out on a board like this. Thus, Villain's range is going to be more A heavy than it might be otherwise. And one of the hands Hero would like to bet out of the pot, TT, now got there. Given the exact board texture, it's possible that there just aren't enough weaker made hands that make betting better than checking. Hero blocks JJ, 99 and TT are already there, and the only A that's likely to fold now is AJ and MAYBE AQ sometimes. Though both of those might still go to the river a lot.

Villain calls. Hero is gearing up for a pot sized river shove. Villain checks. Hero?

Turn2.PNG

River.PNG

Given V's calls I'm inclined to take my SDV now and X behind, likely losing to an A :(
His 3! calling range has too many A and K for me to jam here.

Last edited:
Conclusion:

After I bet turn I kind of hated it for the exact reasons I stated earlier. I'm just blocking too much of what I'm trying to make fold. I'm blocking JJ and KK (if KK doesn't 4 bet pre), and 99 and TT got there. So I'm trying to make what hands fold exactly at this point? 9x and QQ? That's about it unless they got REALLY sticky with 77 or 88.

So I check back hoping I'm just up against QQ or QhTh.

Showdown.PNG

So yeah... Villain called a 3 bet OOP with ATo. Furthering my theory that most people at these stakes just call 3bets far too wide. I'm not sure I would even call with that hand if I was in position on the 3 bettor. Now you might say, "yeah but you 3 bet with KJs." True, but that's certainly ahead of the wide opening range from the CO. And KJs isn't always a 3 bet for me either. It's 3 bet a lot in this exact configuration, but it's not automatic. So calling with stuff like ATo OOP to a 3 bet is just bad IMO.

KJs is a solid IP 3! vs a LP RFI IMHO. You block a lot of their stronger RFI hands and have decent equity and position if they call.

I would not be calling a 3! OOP with ATo - it is just bad and you win in the long run against this play. I just hope to see the long run in this lifetime :) :)

I had a player open 44 in +1 yesterday and call my 4x 3 bet from CO, Then he called my flop & turn barrels (I had AK and missed) only to hit his 4 on the river which I X behind (thank god, considered jamming as it was low board and I have AA, KK in range). Yeah minimal fold equity with 3! lately.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom