PAHWM - Homegame cash hand (1 Viewer)

Don't like the king. Probably not folding.

You’re dead on.

I kinda wanted to call but ended up folding. I figured he shouldn’t have many hands for value that I beat. V.s this player I’d say TT and maaaaaybe A9 but I doubt it. I also don’t think this player has enough 3-barrel bluffs. He did show me 43s with a smug face for flopped OESD and turned baby pair though so I may have to reevaluate his bluffing frequencies :).

Thank you all for your thoughts and insights. I definitely could have gone another route with this hand.

This is kind of why I like raising the flop. It's probably an exploitable play long term, but given the donking range of this player it seems prudent. It seizes control of the hand and makes him play defense instead of you. Plus it has the added benefit of getting the initial raiser to possibly fold out some hands that have equity against you that she may not fold otherwise.

It just feels like even against the top parts of his range, he will likely check to you on the turn of you raise the flop. Then you have full control over how big this pot gets. And could try to bluff catch the river.

This is kind of why I like raising the flop. It's probably an exploitable play long term, but given the donking range of this player it seems prudent. It seizes control of the hand and makes him play defense instead of you. Plus it has the added benefit of getting the initial raiser to possibly fold out some hands that have equity against you that she may not fold otherwise.

It just feels like even against the top parts of his range, he will likely check to you on the turn of you raise the flop. Then you have full control over how big this pot gets. And could try to bluff catch the river.

I like this line, makes a lot of sense!

I still like the turn raise best.

Since I'm calling the river King anyway (still plenty of one-pair hands villain could be pushing, since he's seen zero agression on hero's part), I'd rather have put those chips to better use on the turn by raising and getting some fold equity out of the deal.

If he jams, I fold and lose the same as if I'd just flat-called on the turn and river. If he folds, I make out better by raising, and if he just calls the raise, he's probably checking the river (so also a wash), but I do get a showdown along with a chance to collect the pot -and- see his hand.

Of course, it still stands that any hero play pre-flop with JJ is wrong. It's the War Games hand of poker -- the only winning move is not to play.

I play JJ very aggressively. Funny that some players prefer play aggressively 1010 and limp JJ because hand has bad rap. Just play it as any other big pair.

In a Live format, I´d argue, that people probably overfold against Heros range when agressive, but that´s besides the point.

If you decide to flat pre your hand is just to strong to fold against Villains range. Obviously he could play sets this way, but If youre always goint to think he flops a set there your overfolding by a huge margin. So simply put it´s a calldown, to not be exploited. That way you have "bluffcatchers" That way you can start folding with like AXs with middle pair and things like that.

I think raising anywhere here against a known opponent can only be an exploit, as we usually aren´t good when we get 3bet and we´ll also be behind when called quite a bit. If you raised preflop there would be an argument for reraising a donk bet, as a donk just isn´t always stregth, but can often be various semi bluffs like draws or simply bluffs as hero was overfolding before.

As played I agree with a simple call down and "bluffcatch" line.
Though I usually would argue against calling because someone is tight.
Oftentimes that makes Raising even more profitable, as a strong range will call you down when you hit and you can probably keep the pots smaller against a tight opponent when you are actively trying.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom