PAHWM: 5NL: Absolutely wild hand for 500 bb. (1 Viewer)

johnnyesper

Two Pair
Reaction score
Ok... I want to know your thoughts on this hand that I think I have an understanding of what happened but when I replay it back I'm still baffled.

Played on Ignition, 6-max, So I only have a limited understanding of villains.

Seat 1: Dealer ($4.77 in chips)
Seat 2: Small Blind ($8.86 in chips)
Seat 3: Big Blind ($1.45 in chips)
Seat 4: HERO ($9.95 in chips)
Seat 5: UTG+1 ($3.37 in chips)
Seat 6: UTG+2 ($5.70 in chips)

HERO [As Ah] so I make a standard raise to $0.13
UTG+1: Folds
UTG+2: Calls $0.13
The button Calls
Small Blind min-clicks to $0.21
Big Blind: Calls
HERO 3bets to $0.65

UTG+2: Calls $0.52
Button: Folds
Small Blind: Calls $0.44
Big Blind: Calls $0.44

Pot = 2.73

So the play from my standpoint is standard. I make a reasonable 3 -bet but I wonder 2 things:

Should I have gone bigger like 5x and second, what do you think their 3-bet cold call ranges are? Let me know your thoughts.

*** FLOP *** [Jc 8h 4c]
Small Blind: Checks
Big Blind: All-in $0.80
HERO: Calls $0.80
UTG+2 Makes a pot-sized jam of $4.55
The Small Blind Calls the $4.55
HERO has great odds (25% equity) with a premium so I feel like I need to call the $3.7

This was kinda wild. First off, when I think about the cold call 3bet range for the SB I was thinking TTs - AA, AK. The BB could be wider maybe... maybe. BB villain could have the same range but with AJ and AQ. The crazy part for me was the BB jam then the HJ re-jam. Could I have been up against a set of JJ or 88?

Questions:
Would JJ or 88 play this way? Seems strange. I don't think 88s would cold call 3 bets out of position. JJs might do that but I don't see why the UTG+2 villain would need to re-jam. If they did have Jacks they would just scare everyone away. Top set is something like 90% to win. I need some deeper thinkers here to let me know.

I would have made the re raise bigger with it still being 4 way. Probably atleast a dollar.

When your playing super small stakes though it might as well be play money. Honestly any of them could be holding any 2 cards. You might have jammed preflop and gotten 4 callers. My advice would be to step up in stakes a little if your going to be assigning ranges and making good plays lol. It's basically useless against someone playing micro with their last 5 dollars.

So seeing that its any two cards should I have folded AA multiway or was I getting too good a price myself to not continue?

Here is the rest of the action which I will have to say was also wild cause I made a bet on the river that I don't think I should have made. lol.

*** TURN *** [Jc 8h 4c] [7h]

Hero: Checks

UTG+2: All-in $0.50

Small Blind: Calls $0.50

Hero: Calls $0.50

This was a mandatory call by myself and the SB, right? Should I have raised?

*** RIVER *** [Jc 8h 4c 7h] [5c]

UTG [ME] : All-in $4.25 <-Questionable. I'm either way ahead or way behind. I think that putting in the Jam here was a mistake. Thoughts?

Small Blind: All-in $3.16

Hero: Return uncalled portion of bet $1.09

UTG [ME] : Showdown [As Ah Jc 8h 7h]

UTG+2: Mucks

Small Blind: Mucks

Big Blind: Mucks

UTG [ME] : Showdown [As Ah Jc 8h 7h]

UTG [ME] : Hand result-Side pot $6.01

UTG [ME] : Hand result-Side pot $12.12

UTG [ME] : Hand result $5.62

*** SUMMARY ***

Total Pot($25)

Board [Jc 8h 4c 7h 5c]

I have no idea, given the action, how my AA held here. My guess is that I was up against big pairs; QQ, KK, or even AxKh. I'm glad I won a big pot but I think I made several mistakes.

1) My preflop 3-bet sizing, I think $0.80 is best here. $1 I think would be too much given my previous action at these tables.
2) I think my turn call instead should have been a raise but I'm not sure. I can't give a good explanation nor do I have access to solver heuristics.
3) My river shove I think it just outright bad. Given the number of value hands that would have made it to the river the KhQh, Jacks, and T9 suited I think a check would have been better. Tbh, I'm not sure.

So avoiding the spoilers, yes I think I agree with the others the 4-bet size to 0.65 was small, even against a min-click. I probably would have gone for $1. The SB is the 3-bettor here, so I think he could be calling hero's 4-bet pretty widely.

On the flop I prefer hero raise over the all-in to try and isolate, and then hero can fold to a 3 bet with confidence. I don't think I would be calling a 84 BB bet over a shove-raise and a cold call. Feels like one has to have a set.

Agreed as played, definitely calling the turn because it's so cheap.

Yes, this jam is terrible, I don't think a villain can realistically put you on a 6 as played. You are pretty much targeting KK and QQ exactly. In this particular case perhaps the 6 then works to your benefit. I would prefer check and maybe call here, as played personally

Wow, amazing, too bad the history doesn't fill in the hole cards, I really want to know what everyone had. Amazing you won all the pots somehow. Well done. Perhaps my flop thought was too nitty, maybe players are just playing this shallow because they are willing to shove with middling strength instead of using it for polarization?

I havent looked at the spoilers yet. My 3 bet sizes are 4x IP and 5x OOP.
You are in UTG so are looking at being OOP for the hand so I would start with 5x.
Then you have a cold caller to the 3 bet so add 1x then you have to get through +2 and the caller so add 1.5x for a total of 6.5x
so a 3 bet to $.21 x 6.5x = $1.37

I think you're up against pocket pairs 22 - KK, AK, AQ, suited broadways and maybe A5s.

Personally, I'm either folding or re-jamming the flop. If you think you're behind to possibly multiple hands then I guess you could fold, but I'm probably just getting it in with equity and hoping for a clean runout. What are you planning to do with the ~$5 you have left when the pot is ~$20? You can't ever fold getting that price on future streets.

As played, I think the river shove is awful. Are you turning your hand into a bluff? The river both completes the front door flush, which seems a likely holding for at least one, if not two villains, not to mention if they're in there with a suited connector hand that anything with a 6 in it now has a straight. I'm checking hoping by some miracle to get to a showdown and mayyyyybe be good.

Personally, I'm either folding or re-jamming the flop. If you think you're behind to possibly multiple hands then I guess you could fold, but I'm probably just getting it in with equity and hoping for a clean runout. What are you planning to do with the ~$5 you have left when the pot is ~$20? You can't ever fold getting that price on future streets.

As played, I think the river shove is awful. Are you turning your hand into a bluff? The river both completes the front door flush, which seems a likely holding for at least one, if not two villains, not to mention if they're in there with a suited connector hand that anything with a 6 in it now has a straight. I'm checking hoping by some miracle to get to a showdown and mayyyyybe be good.

The more I look at it the more I realize how poorly I played. The flop called jam and the river shove are just awful.

one thought I had during the hand was that I was playing for a good-sized side pot. I don think that justified the river jam but it was a factor in my decision. I felt like I had one villain beat but not both.

I was very lucky to escape serious pain here. This hand is going to stick with me for a while.

Also thanks for the feedback and confirmation that I'm a lucky fish. This hand had some good learnings.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom