PAHWM: 25NL Zone at Ignition (Ks2s in BB) (1 Viewer)

boltonguy

Flush
Reaction score
25NL 6-max anonymous fast fold. No reads, no HUDs.
Hero is effective stack with $27.59 after posting BB. Villain covers.
Checks around to SB who raises to $0.75 or 3BB which is standard raise. Hero looks down at :ks::2s:.

Hero?

I'm likely to 3bet this. I'd make it $2.75. Going for the 3bet to deny the steal, and if called, take it into the flop with position and betting lead. I guess maybe mix in the occasional call?

I'd fold to any 4bet here, if I went that route.

I use Snowie for pre-flop charts and BB has a very complex mixed strategy facing a SB RFI. In this case Snowie agrees with you and 3 bets 37% of the time.
I dont actually refer to the charts while playing so I tend to simplify by just calling anything in yellow 100%.

I will 3bet bluff A4o- vs SB but otherwise I dont 3 bet non-premiums heads up in BB vs SB as I am closing the action and will be IP for the hand.
I tend to 3B everything in green and call everything else, but honestly I cant bring myself to call this wide - pretty much any two suited cards. I tighten up the suited calling range even against SB to two-gappers. I will add that defending the BB is one of my weaker spots and I need to spend more time studying this configuration (SB RFI 3BB, BB?).

Snowie K2ss in BB.JPG

Last edited:
Checks around to SB who raises to $0.75 or 3BB which is standard raise. Hero looks down at :ks::2s:.

Hero calls. Pot is $1.50. Flop comes :2d::kc::2h: and Villain checks.

Hero?

Hero calls. Pot is $1.50. Flop comes :2d::kc::2h: and Villain checks.
Hero checks thinking it is unlikely that SB connected and wants to look weak to induce a raise/bluff on the turn. Turn is :as: and Villain checks :(

Pot is $1.50 and board is :2d::kc::2h::as:

Hero?

I’d check the ace. If you bet here, and V has nothing, it’ll be a fold. Checking let’s V bluff river if they have nothing. If they don’t bet, you’ll get to close the action.

So Hero is concerned about getting money in the pot but doesnt want to scare villain off.
Hero bets 1/3 pot or $0.50. Villain calls. River is :9d:.

Hero holds :ks::2s:. Board is :2d::kc::2h::as::9d:. Pot is $2.50. Villain checks. Hero?

He ain’t buyin’ what you’re sellin’.

Raise to $12, or jam if you think he may call. The jam could look fishier/weaker, so maybe the better route?

Gross. Reads a lot like either KK or 99 for value. Maybe AA on rare occasions. It would be pretty suicidal as villain to 4 bet jam a bluff here.

Yes I called and V showed 99 :(
Should have just flatted his river raise - no way I was folding a boat but I got greedy in the face of a river X/R. Too much strength to re-raise.

Yes I called and V showed 99 :(
Should have just flatted his river raise - no way I was folding a boat but I got greedy in the face of a river X/R. Too much strength to re-raise.
Yeah. No flush or straight possible and villain raises river. Just reads like a rivered boat. If there had been a flush possible, then a 3bet makes more sense. But villain is super polarized and can basically only have a better full house or total air.

Hero might not be learning the right lesson . . . . . or rather not all the right lessons.

Hero bet 2bb combined on the flop and turn. Villain gets to see two cheap cards and one of them was BINGO! Risked 2bb, hit a ~5% draw and win an extra 100+bb.

Villain's play is a bit dubious, not clear he got the right price to draw for 2bb on the turn if Hero's hand ranges actually were weighted to Ax hands. Perhaps villain should have bet the flop - - - a discussion for another time.

This isn't a "bad beat". Hero's line invites villain to continue - the nines look good enough to villain face the checked flop and micro turn bet. Hero got exactly the outcome requested until the river crushed him.

Was this a good plan? Obviously not this time. But in general? Villain has way more Ax hands than pocket nines. All the Ax hands will pay 2bb on the turn and maybe another small river bet. Let's say hero could extract 10bb from all the Ax hands if the turn bet was bigger. We will leave aside under-pairs as I expect villain should have bet them on the flop. There are are 100+ Ax hands vs 3 pocket nine hands. Hero makes a lot more from those hundred hands than he loses from the three disaster outcome.

And yes, Hero got greedy at the end. < along with being greedy on the flop and turn, but greed doesn't have to be a mistake. > Hero is never folding, but just calling the raise on the river likely makes the best sense.

DrStrange

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom