PAHWM: 25NL @ Bovada (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Playing 9-handed, hero is sitting in the lojack with $52.38, good for 230BB. Cards are dealt.

UTG ($34.49/138BB) opens with a 2x BB raise for $.50. It folds around to me, and I look down at :ks::kd:.

Hijack sitting 53BB, Cutoff 34BB, Button 78BB, SB 97BB, and BB 53BB.

Right. No real question here, except for sizing. My typical 3bet size in this situation is $2.75, but I decided to go for a smaller sizing based on the smaller size of the UTG open. I take it up to $2.

Folds back to UTG, who makes the call.

Pot is $4.35.

Flop: :9d::6d::2d:

Villain donks for $3.

Here's what I say to that bet:

564446.jpg

Raise to around $12 so if your opponent calls, the SPR is around 1 for his stack on the turn. Then you can comfortably bet / call all-in on the next street.

I like either calling or raising. Calling because I think there are probably more hands you 3 bet with that just call here than raise. But this kind of donk reeks of their own overpair and it's not AA. You probably just get it all by raising now. It's rare someone at these stakes donks then folds.

Not sure how often he is going to have AA after just calling my pre-flop raise.

I'd say his range is definitely capped, where mine is completely uncapped.

Good point! I'm trying to put myself in his seat and think - what would I donk here with? Maybe with :ad: or :qd:. Personally I would X/R naked :ad: but donking is a cheaper play than a X/R if you happen to have flopped the flush with AXdd. Personally I think the LJ range has way more suited aces that would 3-bet than UTG would open.

If I had the nut flush I would be checking in villain's seat.

Last edited:
Good point! I'm trying to put myself in his seat and think - what would I donk here with? Maybe with :ad: or :qd:. Personally I would X/R naked :ad: but donking is a cheaper play than a X/R if you happen to have flopped the flush with AXdd. Personally I think the LJ range has way more suited aces that would 3-bet than UTG would open.

If I had the nut flush I would be checking in villain's seat.
He basically can't have AA almost ever being OOP. So at best he has a set. Buy more likely he has something like TT-QQ, or AdX. And AdX more often would check raise. Basically we are beating the donk range. So it's a matter of maximizing. And most people don't donk super strong, and don't fold when they donk in a 3bet pot.

Let's keep it going.

I just call the $3 donk bet. My thinking is that I'm pretty much always ahead here. I feel in great shape and figure I'll see what the turn brings. Basically, I think he's just firing at the pot in hopes to take it down.

Turn: :7c:
Pot: $10.35

Villain is effective stack with $29.49 and continues the attack on the pot with a $4 bet.

So he doesnt seem concerned about your call. That seems strong. But his bet sizing seems to align with a medium strength hand.
Maybe his range is {AdXd, AdXo, KxQd, QQ, JJ, TT, 99, 66}. I dont think UTG 9-handed should be playing KJo or QJo or calling a 3 bet with those hands. The smaller open (2BB) could suggest a medium PP like TT, 99 or 66. I wouldnt call a 3 bet OOP with 66 or 22 but maybe I'm tighter than most. So we're ahead of half of his range and behind the other half.

If he has a set we have 9 outs (diamonds) and 2 outs (Kings) or 11 outs to improve. He is betting about 40% pot (14.35:4 = 3.6:1) so we need about 11 outs. So if he has a set we are getting odds to call, I think.
If he has QQ - TT we're ahead and he only has 2 outs to make his set. We should call.
If he has AdXo we're ahead and he has 8 outs. We should call. Maybe he would be calling a 4x 3bet from IP player with AKo, AQo.
If he has KxQd we're ahead and he is drawing dead.
If he has AdXd we're toast but his donk doesnt look like the nut flush.

I think we're up against QQ or JJ with a diamond.

I like the price and would call to continue.

Last edited:
I am still not convinced that villain has me beat. I decide to take a stab at the pot and throw out the raise to $12.

I am still thinking a good pocket pair, or maybe:ad:, and trying to see cheap cards.

After the raise, villain tanks for a while. Goes deep into the time bank. Shoves remaining stack of $25.49, leaving me to call $17.49 to win a pot of $51.84.

Hero?

Last edited:
I do make the call, without much thought or hesitation.

Villain shows pocket fours, no diamond, and he left the table after getting stacked.

Welcome to Bovada 25NL on a weekend night.

One of the things I recently read was about not bluffing into uncapped ranges. This hand really reminds me of that, and wasn’t something that I had really consciously thought about previously. Given this experience, it’ll always be a checkbox for me to consider when bluffing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom