PAHWM: .25/.50 KJs tough spot? Or easy? (2 Viewers)

Conclusion:

I call thinking it's pretty hard to get paid off by worse. I never really considered a min raise... Interesting idea.

VILLAIN 1 turns over :qs::jh:. HERO wins a nice pot.

VILLAIN 2 comments that he folded an A. Which is baffling if true.

So looks like I may have actually gotten almost max value given the exact hands.
The min raise on the river is just silly. Winning an additional $10 (which, as we have pointed out is very rare here that he calls) is just never worth the stress of potentially having to make a HUGE mistake by folding river to villains re-shove. Villains like these however *do* like to call our turn shoves from time to time, believing either that they have enough equity (they don't) or that we are bluffing (we aren't).

Nice hand!

Wait a minute, he opened and called a 3b oop w QJo, called your continuation bet with villain 2 to act behind and then bet his third pair into two ppl on the river? May I be invited to your game? :D
Yeah. To say I was surprised would be an understatement. After seeing that, I felt pretty good about 3 betting a wider value range against him.

Yeah. To say I was surprised would be an understatement. After seeing that, I felt pretty good about 3 betting a wider value range against him.
I feel like QJ is *squarely* in most loose players limp/call or raise/calling ranges in almost all low stakes games I play. If you are surprised about it, keep hammering these kinds of players pre-flop with a wider range of hands!

I feel like QJ is *squarely* in most loose players limp/call or raise/calling ranges in almost all low stakes games I play. If you are surprised about it, keep hammering these kinds of players pre-flop with a wider range of hands!
I'm not super surprised to see it get limped or raised, but was pretty surprised to see it call a 3 bet AND a flop bet. It reminds me of 2004 online poker. The days where I wasnt nearly as good, yet made MUCH more money playing online poker.

I'm not super surprised to see it get limped or raised, but was pretty surprised to see it call a 3 bet AND a flop bet. It reminds me of 2004 online poker. The days where I wasnt nearly as good, yet made MUCH more money playing online poker.
Poor play by V1 for sure but if you can put yourself in his mindset, his line is not THAT crazy. Calling the 3B is obviously bad but if he is someone who is optimistic and stubborn, he's probably not folding much of anything to a 3B, so he's going to the flop with a very wide range. On the flop you didn't mike a super-size bet and again he's sticky - he's got a pair and a gutter so he's going to call for one street to see if you give up or he makes the straight. Then V2 calls and the turn is a brick so he would have probably folded to a turn bet. But V2 checks, you make a strange tank check and the river is another brick. Now he's thinking you gave up and he's not sure about V2 but hoping he missed a draw. He doesn't want to check and have to face a big bet from either of you, but he's afraid to bet big. So he splits the difference some compromise small bet.

He definitely made terrible decisions on every street but this is how a lot of live low-stakes players think in my experience. In addition to all the poor early decisions, I feel like his biggest error was not following his own logic all the way through. As played, if I were him I would have jammed on the river - he chickened out but could have won the pot if he followed through. Not defending his play but understanding the thought process of weak villains is important.

You basically got max value here. Knowing what the results highlight about this player, I think the fold/call/3B decision pre-flop becomes clearly 3B, and maybe bigger than you went if he is so sticky with super-marginal hands. Flop size is in the right range. I still think all-in on the turn may have been better given ranges, and may have been more straightforward with a larger 3B pre-flop. But definitely well played and congrats on taking down a big pot. That's a juicy game you're in!

Poor play by V1 for sure but if you can put yourself in his mindset, his line is not THAT crazy. Calling the 3B is obviously bad but if he is someone who is optimistic and stubborn, he's probably not folding much of anything to a 3B, so he's going to the flop with a very wide range. On the flop you didn't mike a super-size bet and again he's sticky - he's got a pair and a gutter so he's going to call for one street to see if you give up or he makes the straight. Then V2 calls and the turn is a brick so he would have probably folded to a turn bet. But V2 checks, you make a strange tank check and the river is another brick. Now he's thinking you gave up and he's not sure about V2 but hoping he missed a draw. He doesn't want to check and have to face a big bet from either of you, but he's afraid to bet big. So he splits the difference some compromise small bet.

He definitely made terrible decisions on every street but this is how a lot of live low-stakes players think in my experience. In addition to all the poor early decisions, I feel like his biggest error was not following his own logic all the way through. As played, if I were him I would have jammed on the river - he chickened out but could have won the pot if he followed through. Not defending his play but understanding the thought process of weak villains is important.

You basically got max value here. Knowing what the results highlight about this player, I think the fold/call/3B decision pre-flop becomes clearly 3B, and maybe bigger than you went if he is so sticky with super-marginal hands. Flop size is in the right range. I still think all-in on the turn may have been better given ranges, and may have been more straightforward with a larger 3B pre-flop. But definitely well played and congrats on taking down a big pot. That's a juicy game you're in!
You forgot to highlight his biggest mistake: not having the soul read that it was a 5yo tantrum induced check.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom