PAHWM: 22 in the small blind (1 Viewer)

dmoney

Full House
Reaction score
Playing 1/3 at del Lago in Waterloo, NY around 1 a.m. on Saturday night. The high hand jackpot ended minutes ago, so players are starting to leave, tables breaking, players moving to new tables etc. when this hand takes place. I think we were 8 handed. There’s two other $2k stacks on the table, and 2-3 in the $700-900 range.

Hero has ~$500 in the small blind in seat 9, on the dealer’s right. New player (Villain #1) sits down in seat 1 on the other side of the dealer, with about $2k, I think from a 2/5 game, and pays the big blind. Button (Villain #2) has ~$400 and seems like a competent player who might have some gamble in him.

Button V2 forward straddles to $6, meaning the action starts with Hero in the small blind. Hero peels :2s::2c:.

Action?

7D339F42-01E2-437C-8BD5-0CAD7825315A.jpeg

I'd probably fold or flat to any action. Best option is to flat set mine, nothing else really makes sense unless you get incredible direct/pot odds.

Hero is in the worst position and seems likely to face an ouchy raise - if not by someone else then from the button who straddled.

My bias is to fold this sort of hand. If Hero wants to gamble - limp along and then call a reasonable raise. Don't get caught in the blender facing a raise plus a three bet on the straddle. Hero is purely set mining.

I don't like a raise here at all. Hero's hand is all sorts of trouble if he doesn't flop a set. Hero will be committing to at least one "air-ball" c-bet maybe two. Or if hero faces a three-bet preflop, then he decides fold vs. call-set mine, or go full on maniac and four bet.

Good luck! -=- DrStrange

With just over 80bbs effective and in the worst position it can’t really be bad to just fold, I think. If this is an active table with a decent amount of 3-betting, that’s what I’d do. If more passive I’d open to about $20

Fold. I'm probably not opening 22 UTG, let alone in the SB with a straddle on. Getting 3B is kinda disastrous, so I would lean towards looking to limp call if I really don't want to fold.

In the moment I might limp to see a flop as cheaply as I can and hope to catch a set - but if the table rarely gets to the flop without a significant open, or even a 3! This is probably a fold from this position.

Playing 1/3 at del Lago in Waterloo, NY around 1 a.m. on Saturday night. The high hand jackpot ended minutes ago, so players are starting to leave, tables breaking, players moving to new tables etc. when this hand takes place. I think we were 8 handed. There’s two other $2k stacks on the table, and 2-3 in the $700-900 range.

Hero has ~$500 in the small blind in seat 9, on the dealer’s right. New player (Villain #1) sits down in seat 1 on the other side of the dealer, with about $2k, I think from a 2/5 game, and pays the big blind. Button (Villain #2) has ~$400 and seems like a competent player who might have some gamble in him.

Button V2 forward straddles to $6, meaning the action starts with Hero in the small blind. Hero peels :2s::2c:.

Action?

View attachment 1131609

Raise or fold. I like raise to set mine. Sucks action starts on us though....probably smartest play is just to fold.

Raise $20

To be clear....this is a fold. #1 option.

Worst option is to limp.

Second worst...or second best is to raise.

Plan is to fold to a 3 bet. Might lead on a favorable board, might check. SB first to act sucks.

This is IMO a trivial fold pre flop in this scenario.

22 in early position is bad in both lost passive and aggresive games. In loose passive, you end up going multiway a ton, this forcing you to hit a set. And even when you do, you are easily over setted or having to fade a bunch of cards from OOP. In aggresive games, you may get heads up, but you are still OOP with a hand that is basically impossible to realize your full equity with.

Fold. Fold. Fold. Fold. Fold.

Last edited:
I don’t play button straddle games much but UTG with normal positions i would open only 55+ and UTG gets position on the blinds post. SB in a button straddle game are you supposed to raise without a limp range? If so I lean towards 99 being the worst pair for that. Even that might be too loose.

Moving along ...

Hero expects a reasonable raise, and several calls, giving hero good odds to set mine. If there's a raise and 3-bet, hero easily folds as this hand and position are little more than a hope and a prayer.

Hero calls $6 with :2c::2s:, big blind V1 makes it $25, three players including V2 straddler on the button all call, and it's back to hero in the small blind. $106 in the pot, hero can:
  • fold
  • call $19 and close the action
  • raise and re-open the pot
Action?

Fold. I assume cause it's posted you called, hit a 2 aaaaand it still might not be good lol.
Wellllllll…I will spoil and reveal this is not the last post of this thread :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

It would be really funny if we had more "PAHWM: 104 offsuit in mid-position" threads that started and ended with "fold." I mean if we're reasonably good players that should be like ~80% of threads, right?

I kinda like a call now closing the action and getting more than 5:1

Just don’t ever fold once we flop that deuce

Moving along ...

Hero expects a reasonable raise, and several calls, giving hero good odds to set mine. If there's a raise and 3-bet, hero easily folds as this hand and position are little more than a hope and a prayer.

Hero calls $6 with :2c::2s:, big blind V1 makes it $25, three players including V2 straddler on the button all call, and it's back to hero in the small blind. $106 in the pot, hero can:
  • fold
  • call $19 and close the action
  • raise and re-open the pot
Action?
We are set mining. Call.

call>fold>>>re-raise

Pretty easy call. Best possible outcome pre from a SB limp I think. If this is happening often limp range out of SB might be fine. It’s also ok to not try to creatively work in ways to play hands out of the SB. SB is worst position post.

Hoping to get to run a big bluff on a flop like :3h::3d: or get to the river somehow to see :7x::7x::9x::9x::4x: and have to just go for it

But in reality it’s probably bottom set with a dynamic board. Fingers still crossed though.

SB is worst position post.

Also: in this case, worst position pre. Fold pre really seems like the way the more I think about it.

The good news is: if we don't flop absolute gin, it will be easy to check/fold.

Hero wants to gamble - limp along and then call a reasonable raise
I kinda like a call now closing the action and getting more than 5:1
Best possible outcome pre from a SB limp I think.

Hero calls $25 for the reasons above - this was an expected and best-case scenario. We close the action and get a great price to set mine.

5 ways with $125 in the pot, hero in the sb first to act holding :2s: :2c:

Flop :2h::ts::3s:

Action to hero.

I go for the check raise. No donking with this many people in the hand.

Hero's SPR is a bit less than 4. With bottom set, Hero is pot committed. It will hurt if the flop is checked through and a third spade lands on the turn.

DrStrange

Check raise, but appear to be more concerned with picking off the hooker juice from those nasty chips to distract them. Maybe pick and roll between your fingers, pick and smell if you’re feeling good, or pick and taste if you want the new villain to see you as the crazy beast you are so you throw them off the scent.

Pre: fold>raise >call
Raised to: fold>three bet>call

Flop: check raise >bet>check/fold

I see where this is headed. Shove to any raise after a check raise.

Overwhelming consensus.
I check planning to checkraise
I go for the check raise
Agree on check raise
Go for check raise on flop
Check raise
check raise

5 ways with $125 in the pot, hero in the sb first to act holding :2s: :2c:

Flop :2h::ts::3s:

Hero ($475) checks, V1 ($2k) checks and it checks all the way around to V2 ($375) on the button, who bets $75.

Action back on hero.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom