PAHWM: .10/.20 PLO8 (1 Viewer)

arch3r

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
Playing online with some friends. We play a few times a week. Either .25/.50 NLHE or .10/.20 PLO8, but game plays bigger.

Started of with 8 players, now just 3 degens left. ( yeah, I know 3-handed PLO8 should not be a thing ).
We have probably played 35 hands 3-handed, mostly trading/chopping small pots back and forth but I have been slowly chipping up.
It's late and we have decided to play 5 more hands and call it quits.

SB - bought in for $20, starting stack $16
BB - bought in for $40 (max), sitting on $147.90 - been running good all night and had some monsters against second nuts.
Hero - bought in for $40, currently has $40.15 - Lost a big hand early with turned nut flush vs turned boat. Left with $23, donked more off to $17. Slowly clawed back to even.

The hand:
SB - $.10
BB (villain) - $.20
Hero is on the button, first to act and looks down at :qd::qh::9s::th:

Action?

No low... but three handed... on the button.

Pot to $.80

See what the flop brings and be ready to slow down or dump it.

I agree - pot and see what happens. Button plus a pretty fair hand for three handed.

And I have to wonder is there ANY hand hero limps from the button in a three handed game? I think this is purely raise or fold turf. But wiser O8 players might have other opinions.

The hand:
SB - $.10
BB (villain) - $.20

I go half pot/min raise to $.40, both call.

Thought about potting, but figured I might lose 1 with that raise. Hoping to keep them both in to build the pot since I can't win low, no scoop, I want both players money in if we do split the pot. Not sure if that is proper thinking but it was late and that was what I went with.

Flop: :6d::qc::ac: I hit top set.*
SB: check
BB: $1.20
Hero: ???

*Edit: I hit middle set. Duh.

Last edited:
I agree - pot and see what happens. Button plus a pretty fair hand for three handed.

And I have to wonder is there ANY hand hero limps from the button in a three handed game? I think this is purely raise or fold turf. But wiser O8 players might have other opinions.
3 handed on the button I have the auto straddle button clicked so there is no fold option lol.

The only clean scoop card is a non-club 9 - and this creates zero safe scoop cards on the river. I fucking hate flopping sets at O8.

Flat and pray.

The hand:
SB - $.10
BB (villain) - $.20

I go half pot/min raise to $.40, both call.

Thought about potting, but figured I might lose 1 with that raise. Hoping to keep them both in to build the pot since I can't win low, no scoop, I want both players money in if we do split the pot. Not sure if that is proper thinking but it was late and that was what I went with.

Flop: :6d::qc::ac: I hit top set.
Realistically QQ is the best high hand, as you would expect AA to be raising preflop, but it is not top set. I just call here, keep the action 3 way if possible. You don’t want to raise and drive out SB and be heads up with a 1 way hand that can easily be scooped

The hand:
SB - $.10
BB (villain) - $.20

Flop: :6d::qc::ac:
Hero: raise to $3. Still want to keep them in, but make them pay for their flush draw or top pair.
SB: fold
BB: call - Feels like he has a naked ace.
Pot: $7.20

Turn: :6d::qc::ac: :ah:
BB: $7.20

The hand:
SB - $.10
BB (villain) - $.20

Hero: raise to $3. Still want to keep them in, but make them pay for their flush draw or top pair.

So far I dont hate your line. I would go with what @Rhodeman77 says as default, because this is right in his wheelhouse. I flat here on the turn as well. Any A or low is licking their chops, but you do have a good hand. If a low comes, you probably have to fold to a jam. Otherwise, you could catch somebody over valuing a naked A.

They also could have clubs....if a high club comes, I call any bet.

This is short handed poker, you can't always just wait for the nuts. I am going with this hand here and ready to reload.

Time to charge the low draw and trip aces hands, jam it in and don’t be surprised when you get shown A6 or AQ.

The hand:
SB - $.10
BB (villain) - $.20

Hero: repot to $28.80, leaving me just under $8 behind.
BB: surprised, complains, let's the timer almost expire and.... folds!?!? I win $11!!

I'm happy to take it down and since this is a friendly game, I show my hand, letting him know he made a good fold, completely thinking he has a naked A or 2-3 for a possible nut low draw. He's is surprised and upset because he laid down A6 with no low draw!!!!! WTF? He tossed it away with only 2 possible better high hands - the case A and either remaining Q. He said he was convinced I had exactly that.

Should you ever be afraid of that monster under the bed, especially with flush and low draw possibilities?

If I were holding the combo draw K or Q flush and 2-3. or 2-4 low, I'd have probably played the same way and repotted, trying to get him off a naked A or the drawing combo hands. With just either holding, I'm calling his $7.20. Is that sound playing?

But if I'm him holding A6, I'm never folding second nuts there with only 2 combos of the nuts out there. Should you ever fold in that situation?

I just glad it worked out in my favor.

If they’re playing seriously, not many good players will call a 3-bet with a naked ace. Best case scenario the river is a Q obv. Second best case scenario it’s something other than 2-3 and you can check-call river. If a 2 or 3 drops I expect you are dead with no low as it likely fills him up. Probably a 1/4 chance he’s already full.

Get to the river as cheaply as possible (or consider folding on bad rivers when you check and he bombs).

This is why we don’t play 1-way hands in hi/lo.

EDIT: didn’t see the results when I posted just the A turn. Anyway, this guy is never ever folding to you ever again, lolz.

The hand:
SB - $.10
BB (villain) - $.20

Hero: repot to $28.80, leaving me just under $8 behind.
BB: surprised, complains, let's the timer almost expire and.... folds!?!? I win $11!!

I'm happy to take it down and since this is a friendly game, I show my hand, letting him know he made a good fold, completely thinking he has a naked A or 2-3 for a possible nut low draw. He's is surprised and upset because he laid down A6 with no low draw!!!!! WTF? He tossed it away with only 2 possible better high hands - the case A and either remaining Q. He said he was convinced I had exactly that.

Should you ever be afraid of that monster under the bed, especially with flush and low draw possibilities?

If I were holding the combo draw K or Q flush and 2-3. or 2-4 low, I'd have probably played the same way and repotted, trying to get him off a naked A or the drawing combo hands. With just either holding, I'm calling his $7.20. Is that sound playing?

But if I'm him holding A6, I'm never folding second nuts there with only 2 combos of the nuts out there. Should you ever fold in that situation?

I just glad it worked out in my favor.

It seems overly aggressive on your part, but I guess I would rather fail aggressive here than not. You block AQ pretty strong, so all he can really have is the A6 (assuming we are ruling out AA here). However, any A with a good low is going to snap shove on you with a ton of equity, and you will need to hit a high card that doesn't also boat them up to either split or scoop you.

There are a million ways to die in PLO. You narrowly avoided one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom