PAHWM - $1/$3 NL @ Resorts World - JJ in HJ (1 Viewer)

Ahh man! late to the party!

PREFLOP: totally down with your line and sizing.
FLOP: I definitely like your smaller sizing with all holdings that we 3! with. $30 sounds perfect.
TURN: I might check here....reason being the flush draw came in. My plan is to call any non-heart and non-Ace river bet to allow opponent to bluff at it representing the hands that got there on the turn. I think this is a great way to get value from capable opponents.

As played, I just get the money in here. I am not folding an over pair head's up.

Resorts World $1/$3
7 handed

Hero is sitting on about $1k which is the biggest stack at the table. Been running very well.

New Spanish/Portuguese/South American guy, early 30s, sits with $400. He is the villain and this will be his 2nd hand at the table. Has that air of knowing what he's doing, but can't really count on that read at all.

VILLAIN raises UTG+1 to $14. Folds to Hero in the HJ with :js::jh: and 3 bets to $45. Table folds. VILLAIN calls.

Pot: 90
Eff: 355
Flop: :9c::3h::4h:

VILLAIN checks.
HERO bets $30.
VILLAIN calls.

Pot: 150
Eff: 325
Turn: :9c::3h::4h::9h:

VILLAIN checks.
HERO bets $80.
VILLAIN thinks for about 20-30 seconds and raises to $200. Leaving only $125 back.

HERO?

My rationale for betting was that I have the :jh: which eliminates some of the suited broadway hearts. And I just don't think he has many 9s as discussed previously. I still wanted to try and get value from 77, 88. TT, and whatever AhKx or AhQx he might have. Right after I did it, I kinda hated it. Not because I don't think my hand is good a lot, but because I can bet less than this and accomplish the same thing. And could also just have checked back obviously. I just though his thick value range was basically just KhQh or AhQh with some AhKh (I think it 4 bets pre some % of the time). I also don't think he has 33 or 44 very often, if ever. That would mean he both raised it in early position AND called the 3 bet. That seems unlikely. Plus my general feeling of the guy is that he wasn't terrible. I know I said not to really consider that too much, but a European/South American in Vegas around the WSOP leads me to think he can't be a total fish. So I gave more weight to his preflop ranges being standard.
On mobile. Copying and pasting doesn't work that well.

End of the hand:

His weird sizing, leaving $125 behind, and things I've said before, for whatever reason, made me call with the intention of paying almost any river.

Why not jam? Because since I'm planning to pay off no matter what, I want to leave room for him to bluff if he is bluffing. If his somehow had total air, then jamming causes him to fold. And any value hand or draw is never folding if I jam. So this gives me a way to win more if he's bluffing and occasionally lose less when an offsuit A falls, or when he occasionally checks to me on river.

River is a total brick. He jams. I take a minute and say, "well, I can't really fold when I've played it like this. I guess you must have :ah::qh:." I call and he turns over...

:ad::kd:.

So we both played this terribly.

On mobile. Copying and pasting doesn't work that well.

End of the hand:

His weird sizing, leaving $125 behind, and things I've said before, for whatever reason, made me call with the intention of paying almost any river.

Why not jam? Because since I'm planning to pay off no matter what, I want to leave room for him to bluff if he is bluffing. If his somehow had total air, then jamming causes him to fold. And any value hand or draw is never folding if I jam. So this gives me a way to win more if he's bluffing and occasionally lose less when an offsuit A falls, or when he occasionally checks to me on river.

River is a total brick. He jams. I take a minute and say, "well, I can't really fold when I've played it like this. I guess you must have :ah::qh:." I call and he turns over...

:ad::kd:.

So we both played this terribly.
I think you played it perfect. Love your thought process on the turn, totally agree with this line. You got max value from a strong hand he turned in to a bluff.

How would you play differently?

EDIT: I still don't hate a shove on turn with so little behind, giving you some protection against over cards on river. It would put AK/AQ specifically in a really tough spot with so little behind.

I think you played it perfect. Love your thought process on the turn, totally agree with this line. You got max value from a strong hand he turned in to a bluff.

How would you play differently?

EDIT: I still don't hate a shove on turn with so little behind, giving you some protection against over cards on river. It would put AK/AQ specifically in a really tough spot with so little behind.
I think I like betting a bit smaller on the turn if I bet. As far as the shove, it does it random AK no heart in a weird spot, but he just really shouldn't have that as a bluff (what actually happened notwithstanding). Plus, with how much is in the middle already, giving him a shot at 6 outs with one to go isn't something I really need to protect against to much I don't think.

I'm to lazy to check it in a solver. Really it just comes down to how should the turn go if his range is fairly normal. I really have no idea. In line play, I tend to go with my instinct and live reads a lot more. I do credit learning solver stuff with learning how to construct ranges and possibly bluffs. But often against weaker competition, I just go with my gut and play max exploitation. Which in live play I think is often fine, if not correct.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom