Paging Fitness Gurus (1 Viewer)

Look up Mark Sisson on your favorite podcast. He's been thru the circuit...Rogan, unbeatable mind, art of manliness...etc. he gives an entire way of life that's pretty easy to follow called primal. It's basically Paleo diet, moderate exercise, continuous slow movement, more time doing outside activities, and lots of sleep. Perfect for guys our age. I've been following it loosely for a year and I dig it.

PM me if you want to chat, I'll send you my number.

Wait, I thought you were doing fasting...

PS Why is CrossFit like CSI? They both last a little less than an hour, and somebody is going to get hurt.

lol, I consider what I do (functional strength and core training) as CrossFit, but it’s not part of any organized class. I have a home gym, and my CrossFit workouts are more accurately described as circuit training... involve picking differing exercises (typically 6) then doing 1 min circuits of each, for around 30 minutes total..

Here‘s what one of my CrossFit circuit sessions typically looks like:

1- Elliptical
2- Arms (dumbbell curls)
3- Suspension pushups (TRX)
4- Planks
5- Bosu Plyo jumps
6- Slam Ball (squat, slam, sometimes adding a burpee)

repeat

i switch around the exercises a bunch, to ensure I’m mixing up muscle groups, for instance, if my arms involve tricep extensions then my TRX suspension will involve rows/lats etc.. but all my workouts typically involve some aspect of cardio, Legs, core, arms, upper torso. These are tough workouts, but I dont do them every day. I’ll alternate with days of cardio (biking, or straight elliptical). My wife typically joins in, and we start opposit each other in the rotation.

my final recommendation is to incorporate fun physical activities into a regular fit lifestyle. Dont make it about a workout, but be active. Hiking, biking, kayaking, XC skiing, and paddle boarding make regular appearances in my life/fitness routine. i also consider on and off road biking two different animals. :)

2626E06C-4813-4BD9-9E87-191B36659399.jpeg
7401AAAB-B7F9-41EC-8B5E-F6A7879C30F5.jpeg
A5746788-8E5D-4A6D-9731-0DDB98210504.jpeg
CE3E8773-1D6F-4DCE-9065-56EF8ED0D483.jpeg
182D0CE2-A9CA-4AD4-B88F-CB86AB9F119F.jpeg
5CAA57C0-E605-4B6B-8F75-1A4D273A1A66.jpeg

Don't insult your workouts @Trihonda by comparing then to Crossfit lol. I'm just starting to get into some circuits, as the weights alone isn't sufficient for me to drop fat like I used to.

Some of those crossfit workouts are so dangerous. I enjoy watching the Crossfit docos, but I've got no interest in wrecking my body by doing it for fun.

Kinda the same for lifting real heavy. I tend to do a strength program once a year, but it's not great for the joints, so the rest of the year I stick to slow and controlled reps at more sensible weights.

Last edited:
Don't insult your workouts @Trihonda by comparing then to Crossfit lol. I'm just starting to get into some circuits, as the weights alone isn't sufficient for me to drop fat like I used to.

Some of those crossfit workouts are so dangerous. I enjoy watching the Crossfit docos, but I've got no interest in wrecking my body by doing it for fun.

Kinda the same for lifting real heavy. I tend to do a strength program once a year, but it's not great for the joints, so the rest of the year I still to slow and controlled reps at more sensible weights.

ok, won’t call it CrossFit anymore,. I used to push crazy weights, but was a firm believer that any uncontrolled lifting, was incorrect lifting. I never lifted more than I could lift slow and controlled. I found it developed more definition. ive also moved towards less weight in my older years, lol.

I hear you, re:Crossfit and joint issues. I started Crossfit right around 40. I'm 50 now and slotted for elective shoulder surgery. I have a slap tear, so they have to cut and relocate my right bicep. Had to quit Crossfit about a year ago. Moved to a more cardio based program at Orange Theory. Then had to put that on hold when the tear got really bad. That was when my Dr. ordered an MRI and they discovered the slap tear.

Now with the lockdown, not sure when my surgery will happen. It was supposed to be this summer, but I figure I will be lucky if it happens before Christmas.

50 is in my rear-view mirror.
Searching for the best way to improve my cardio and strength.
Recommended resources online or offline?
Diet/supplement tips welcome.
Cardio is overrated. It is useful, but overrated. Good studies show that cardio is helpful for preventing weight gain, but is poor for weight loss.

The truth is, whatever you do should be customized, both diet and exercise regimen. I know what works for ME. (For example, I have not done a straight-bar strength exercise in over 20 years. The angle for my wrists never felt right, and I wasn't working the muscles I wanted to. Dumbbells all the way. Jay Cutler agrees with me.)

The best advice I ever got came from here:
https://www.facebook.com/millermethod/
(Thermic effect of food. RMR. EPOC. Aerobic vs anaerobic. Lots and lots of good science.)

Hard to believe over three months have past since I started this thread. Work has tied me to the desk for long hours since mid June. Finally began working on improving my health and well being recently by eliminating sugary foods, cutting back on dairy, eating less at dinner and walking/jogging roughly five days a week.

I have a wide range of free weights, both olympic and standard size, but haven't put them to use yet. My goal is to slowly build up the intensity of my physical activity. Jogged 2 miles, walked 2.5 miles for a total of 4.5 miles last night. Couldn't sleep, so I got out of bed in the early AM and did a 50/50 2 mile jog/walk to the top of a steep hill a mile from where I live. My goal is to jog two miles non-stop, however long it might take.

To date, I have lost 5 pounds. I feel like I am ready to hit the weights. I am also going to break out the Schwinn and incorporate some bicycling along with my jogging and walking.

Losing the 5 pounds has made a difference in how I feel. And I accomplished it by making minor changes in my diet and physical activity. I encourage others who have sedentary jobs and unhealthy diets to follow suit. Really takes little effort/commitment in relation to the pay-off.

Bumping this thread.

My resolve melted away for a variety of reasons, mostly work related due to the influx of people fleeing the city in search of open spaces during the pandemic. I started a moving business outside of my main job in early October of 2020 as a means of financially helping out a small handful of younger poker players who found themselves underemployed during the lockdowns.

Things where I live returned to normal around February or March of last year, however the downturn coincided with challenges that significantly increased the amount of stress in my life, which negatively impacted my diet, quality of sleep and mood.

My semi annual physical was yesterday. My blood pressure was 126 over 89 and my resting heart rate was 70. My cholesterol numbers are exceptionally good. I am glad 2022 is in my rear view mirror. In a lot of ways, the harm stress causes, especially over the long term, is not discussed. I feel like I need to rebuild if I am going to get my sense of well being back.

I stand at 5'10 and weigh 180. I am not at a healthy 180. I would like to get down to165. Currently, I lack energy and a degree of motivation compared to when I posted this thread. I am lucky to get six hours of sleep a night. The other bad habit I have fallen into is eating late in the evening. My blood sugar level is 104.

What I am seeking besides fitness and diet advice for someone in my age bracket, is pointers on how to deal, let go of, and recover from stress. PM or post.

Thank you to all the members who contributed to this thread. Looking forward to new posts.

Last edited:
Sidenote...get rid of television, now you have lots of time for activities

Quit adding sugar to anything. If it needs sugar then it’s not a good food.

Quit drinking soda. Regular or diet. Just quit.

Go to a gym and work on the machines for an hour a day. Any of them. Just do some reps and walk for a bit on the treadmill, nothing strenuous but at least make it a little hard.
(After a week or so of this it’s like meditation and stress relief) But go every day for an hour. If you don’t feel like the weights just treadmill and vice versa. But do an hour a day on anything in the gym.

Leave food on your plate. Really it’s ok. Just don’t take the last bite of anything.

Listen to calming music. Partake of more weed in some form.

Cut down the alcohol. Make it a special occasion thing.

Let it go. Just let whatever’s bothering you go, you probably can’t control the outcome anyway.

Bumping this thread.

My resolve melted away for a variety of reasons, mostly work related due to the influx of people fleeing the city in search of open spaces during the pandemic. I started a moving business outside of my main job in early October of 2020 as a means of financially helping out a small handful of younger poker players who found themselves underemployed during the lockdowns.

Things where I live returned to normal around February or March of last year, however the downturn coincided with challenges that significantly increased the amount of stress in my life, which negatively impacted my diet, quality of sleep and mood.

My semi annual physical was yesterday. My blood pressure was 126 over 89 and my resting heart rate was 70. My cholesterol numbers are exceptionally good. I am glad 2022 is in my rear view mirror. In a lot of ways, the harm stress causes, especially over the long term, is not discussed. I feel like I need to rebuild if I am going to get my sense of well being back.

I stand at 5'10 and weigh 180. I am not at a healthy 180. I would like to get down to165. Currently, I lack energy and a degree of motivation compared to when I posted this thread. I am lucky to get six hours of sleep a night. The other bad habit I have fallen into is eating late in the evening. My blood sugar level is 104.

What I am seeking besides fitness and diet advice for someone in my age bracket, is pointers on how to deal, let go of, and recover from stress. PM or post.

Thank you to all the members who contributed to this thread. Looking forward to new posts.
So my weight is immensely affected by stress. I have a relatively healthy diet imo, fruit and protein smoothies, lots of salads and seafood. I eat very little red meat, fried foods, or carbs.
I have found a few things help, even though my weight is mostly at a plateau and I can't shed those last 5, 10 pounds.

My situation is probably a bit more individualized than yours....however here's some things I found that helped.

Therapy - mental health is extremely important. Therapy comes in many forms, whether it's actually talking with a professional, or conversing through trusted friends and family. Sometimes the things inside need to be vocalize or expressed, even if no return input is required. Just letting it out will help lift some weight off the shoulders.

Exercise - a more positive outlook from the above mention, lead to more frequent and more intense trips to the gym. I found having a gym partner is huge. When I'm not motivated to go, having someone else who is a part of your regular routine can encourage you to go even when you want to slack off.
I also found that I felt much better, mentally, emotionally, and physically, even after a lighter work out.

Diet - sticking to a plan. I am very very strict with my diet. While I do eat out multiple times a week, I do a lot of food prep for breakfasts and lunches. This helps tremendously. I also used a macro counter for awhile and logged my food in ratio to my output.
Fit bit has been a life saver as I can track my intake calories, output calories, sleep (stages and length of rest), as well as heart rate. I highly recommend this, or something similar. Being able to track this information gave me additional motivation and a more positive outlook with my results.

Comfort - I opted to upgrade some of my exercise clothing and equipment. Therefor enhancing my comfort and lessening my angst towards exercising.

Acupuncture - major life saver. Without this, I would literally have concrete for a spine. My acupuncturist has also worked on my knees, ankles, shoulders, liver and more. 100% recommend, even monthly. (I go every week or every other week)

Supplements - some people are for, some are against. I have done loads of research and selected a small variety for various needs.
I use a greens powder to ensure I'm obtaining all the nutrients and antioxidants my body needs with my restricted diet.
Protein powder, lots of fruit and vegetables are a main staple.
Prebiotics and Probiotics are also a daily essential as I have major gut health issues.
I've also found a powdered supplement for night time use, geared towards good rest, muscle recovery, and overall mood support. It has definitely helped.

I do not drink soda, I do drink beer. I stay away from almost all sweets. I've done hours and hours and hours of research on this, that, and the other when it comes to overall health, exercise, and stress factors.
Feel free to PM any time if you have questions or want to chat.

Edit: I'm 5'8" my current weight is 150, and my resting heart rate fluctuates between 52 and 62.
I also use a smart scale, that tells me more than just what I weigh. I suggest this as well.

Last edited:
Quit adding sugar to anything. If it needs sugar then it’s not a good food.

Quit drinking soda. Regular or diet. Just quit.

Go to a gym and work on the machines for an hour a day. Any of them. Just do some reps and walk for a bit on the treadmill, nothing strenuous but at least make it a little hard.
(After a week or so of this it’s like meditation and stress relief) But go every day for an hour. If you don’t feel like the weights just treadmill and vice versa. But do an hour a day on anything in the gym.

Leave food on your plate. Really it’s ok. Just don’t take the last bite of anything.

Listen to calming music. Partake of more weed in some form.

Cut down the alcohol. Make it a special occasion thing.

Let it go. Just let whatever’s bothering you go, you probably can’t control the outcome anyway.
Also Vitamins. Especially the B ones.

Anyone here try Fat Gripz, especially with dead hangs and farmers walks?
Yes, love them. Not dead hangs but definitely walks, and I've used them for everything from pullups to curls. Very popular in Judo community, lots of focus on grip strength and these were good ways to give the forearms an extra pump.

Yes, love them. Not dead hangs but definitely walks, and I've used them for everything from pullups to curls. Very popular in Judo community, lots of focus on grip strength and these were good ways to give the forearms an extra pump.

Really want to try them with other exercises too, especially spider curls!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom