Packaging / Shipping recommendations. Box size and padding type. (1 Viewer)

Shaggy

Full House
Reaction score
I've been planning to share my method for shipping 100 chips in a USPS small flat rate box. I am sure we have all received chips from a seller that did less than a stellar job protecting these gems that we love so much. Maybe this thread can grow with various methods and ideas for different quantities of chips. This might be a thread that can be used as a resource if we the buyer have a concern about the seller's ability to safely ship the chips. Maybe just a courtesy email with a link.

100 chips, small flat rate box.
1. Separate chips into three stacks, two large, one small.
Lakeshore_1.jpg

2. Roll stack in a layer of paper towel then two layers of thin packing foam. Wrap once around (end wise) with cellophane packing tape.
Lakeshore_2.jpg

3. Place as shown in small flat rate box. Seal box. No additional packing material necessary.
Lakeshore_3.jpg

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

Of course, what packaging thread would be complete without a what not to do image:
DON'T DO THIS...
joker_loose_in_box.jpg

OR THIS CAN OCCUR!
joker_chip_chipped.jpg

Last edited:
What would the best way for shipping 21 newish chips be? I just got back from the post office with a barrel wrapped up and it wound up being too thick to send; I need to flatten the package out. I remember something about sandwiching them between two pieces of cardboard, but how would they stay in place?

You could try this . . .

three stacks of 7 chips. Wrap in paper with the stacks side by side. Cut a strip of cardboard for the top and bottom for rigidity and wrap again with paper or foam. Then tape it all together . Bubble wrap to secure it within your box and away you go. Something like this:

xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx
xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx
xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx
xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

you could even wrap the stacks of 7 individually if you wanted to.

I have received some small quantities of chips from vendors. Sometimes they will use cut up "pages" for coin albums.
$(KGrHqFHJEwFGTdvsbEfBRonIHs8kw~~60_59.jpg
This works well to keep chips separated. 21 chips is quite a few though.

I would recommend rolling the barrel in the foam the way I described above but before you tape it, flatten it out. Flatten it out by skewing all of the chips slightly. Once you do that, wrap it with tape. Remember the important thing with packaging for shipment is preventing the chips from moving relative to each other and preventing them from colliding with the interior of the package.

If you have access to a vacuum sealer (Foodsaver ect), you have a rock solid way of protecting your chips in shipping.
Added bonus for Canadians, you can save a lot of money in shipping because you can send as a flat packet instead of parcel.

What you need:
- Vacuum sealer
- Media (bags for the vacuum sealer)
- Padded Envelope
- Cardboard cut about 1" smaller than the envelope all the way around. (cereal box cardboard is fine for thickness)
The envelope/cardboard size will determine how many chips you can send in this method.

Steps:
- Make a bag big enough to hold the cardboard +1/2"
- Make a single layer chips to go on the cardboard leaving some space in between each chip.
- You can put chips on either side of the cardboard, by placing the single layer of chips in the bag in a position ready for vacuum sealing, then putting the cardboard on top, and adding another layer of chips on top of that...It's a delicate dance, but can be done with care. :)
- Vacuum seal it shut, the chips will stay in place and the plastic will go in between the chips so they won't rub. (If you leave space in between the chips)
- Put in a bubble wrap padded envelope and you are done.

Vacuum sealing is also good for a barrel of chips, since they are pretty tightly packed in the sealing process. I have seen Gear use this method time and time again, and there has never been a complaint.

DON'T DO THIS...
View attachment 4091

OR THIS CAN OCCUR!
View attachment 4092
[/SIZE]

The gouges on that chip look nasty, but I doubt that was chip on chip contact in shipping. The broken areas look kind of old and grubby, not too fresh. And gouges like that are probably something harder and sharp (metal) on something softer ("clay"). Chip on chip damage in shipping seems to be mostly flea bites, cracking, and breaking with the accompanying pieces, flakes, and dust in the box, assuming it's that well sealed. :eek:

Thanks for the ideas. I went with:

skewing a barrel of 10-11 so they lay flat
wrapping each barrel in saran wrap
put each barrel of 10 on the top and bottom of a few sheets of newspaper, roll both up up to the center of the page so there's a bit of space between them and tape

ZTfFHfV.jpg

Like I've always said, a woman's place is in the kitchen. Sealing chip packages.

Seriously, these are a couple of great tips and write-up. Thanks Wifey!

If you have access to a vacuum sealer (Foodsaver ect), you have a rock solid way of protecting your chips in shipping.
Added bonus for Canadians, you can save a lot of money in shipping because you can send as a flat packet instead of parcel.

What you need:
- Vacuum sealer
- Media (bags for the vacuum sealer)
- Padded Envelope
- Cardboard cut about 1" smaller than the envelope all the way around. (cereal box cardboard is fine for thickness)
The envelope/cardboard size will determine how many chips you can send in this method.

Steps:
- Make a bag big enough to hold the cardboard +1/2"
- Make a single layer chips to go on the cardboard leaving some space in between each chip.
- You can put chips on either side of the cardboard, by placing the single layer of chips in the bag in a position ready for vacuum sealing, then putting the cardboard on top, and adding another layer of chips on top of that...It's a delicate dance, but can be done with care. :)
- Vacuum seal it shut, the chips will stay in place and the plastic will go in between the chips so they won't rub. (If you leave space in between the chips)
- Put in a bubble wrap padded envelope and you are done.

Vacuum sealing is also good for a barrel of chips, since they are pretty tightly packed in the sealing process. I have seen Gear use this method time and time again, and there has never been a complaint.

That packing job on those quarters is cringe worthy. I've received chips loose in baggies but never just tossed in the box! Thanks for spreading the good advice Shaggy.

I have been pondering the best method for shipping out my (6 chip) sample sets once they arrive. Originally, I thought the padded envelope method. Cut holes in a piece of cardboard and insert the chips into the holes, then saran wrap and tape in place. The SFRB is only 20¢ more though, so I could also wrap and pack the way Shaggy posted for shipping 100 chips (but a lot fewer).

Any thoughts or something I missed?

The gouges on that chip look nasty, but I doubt that was chip on chip contact in shipping. The broken areas look kind of old and grubby, not too fresh. And gouges like that are probably something harder and sharp (metal) on something softer ("clay"). Chip on chip damage in shipping seems to be mostly flea bites, cracking, and breaking with the accompanying pieces, flakes, and dust in the box, assuming it's that well sealed. :eek:

Agreed... but there is some shock value there.

Great tips wifey... now in addition to an ultrasonic cleaner... it looks like I've just justified buying a foodsaver.

I have been pondering the best method for shipping out my (6 chip) sample sets once they arrive. Originally, I thought the padded envelope method. Cut holes in a piece of cardboard and insert the chips into the holes, then saran wrap and tape in place. The SFRB is only 20¢ more though, so I could also wrap and pack the way Shaggy posted for shipping 100 chips (but a lot fewer).

If the SFRB is just 20 cents more than the padded envelope, I would go that route. I would likely skew them as described in tigon's post. You will have to add additional padding in box to prevent internal movement.

First class padded envelope should be way cheaper than small FRB prices, about half the cost. For dealer buttons, my plan is tape to a piece of cardboard and slide into the envelope. For chips, I'd consider wrapping in paper and taping to the cardboard, possibly sandwiched between two pieces or using cut holes.

When I mailed my samples, I arranged the chips in an overlapping manner as described by Shaggy earlier ITT as a flattened stack. The chips are arranged sort of like fallen dominos. Wrap tightly in a small sandwich bag or plastic wrap, and tape securely. You end up with a very solid bundle of chips, and the individual chips will not move. I mail them in a #000 padded mailer. It costs a little more than sending them in a standard business envelope (a little over $2 total) but IMO it's worth it. I've never had to replace a chip.

When I shipped out the Lucid Diamond samples (8 chips), I used blue painter's tape to adhere the chips sandwiched between two pre-cut sheets of card stock, which was then slipped into a small 4x7 bubble envelope. No movement and relatively flat. Total material costs worked out to $0.61 per package, and First Class postage was $2.24 for 8 chips ($2.58 for 16 chips, which used three sheets of card stock).

For whatever reason (post-op drugs) I cannot find shipping charges for anything but Priority shipping. It may require a trip to the post office once I get mobile again.

For whatever reason (post-op drugs) I cannot find shipping charges for anything but Priority shipping. It may require a trip to the post office once I get mobile again.

http://postcalc.usps.com/

Below the flat rate choices is a section for Select Shape. Select Package (small) and enter the zip codes. On the Postage Price Calculator select First Class Mail and Other Options.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Yeah, you probably have to work through the shipment with a destination and weight/size etc. You are able to print a pre-paid label, but the price will vary by destination. My recollection is consistent with the others, a 3"x5" padded envelope with about 6 chips should ship just about anywhere in the CONUS for under $4.

http://postcalc.usps.com/default.aspx

Then you pick envelope or large envelope rather than any of the flat rate options, and put the weight. The next page lets you drop down to first class. It's convoluted, but you're basically talking $2-3 for first class.

I finally got it - thanks atomik and abby. Turns out It just didn't like me putting in 1 lb for the weight. Changing it to 8 oz brought up the first class option.

Are guys printing First Class postage from USPS.com?

I have definitely done priority (non flat rate), I am pretty sure I have done first class too.

Sometimes I don't get the option for First Class mail on USPS.com. So I use PayPal Shipping for First Class. I use to buy and print postage with my dymo label printer but they started charging monthly fees so I closed the account. Was free for years.

pp_shipping.jpg

Here are MY parameters:

20 to ~100-120 chips = SMFRB:
  • Shrink wrap twice with plastic wrap in stacks of 20-25 - NICE AND TIGHT
  • Provide padding beneath the stacks, between the stacks, between the side stacks and box, and above the stacks (ie. bubble wrap or even shredded paper). This is why we shouldn't put more than 120 chips in a SMFRB.
~120 to ~400 chips = MFRB
  • Same damn shit. Just do it. However, stacks are vertical in the SMFRB and horizontal in MFRB.

I am PICKY about this after having received damaged Noirs. I will never do that to anyone, guaranteed! Those who have received chips from me can vouch I am sure.

Is 500 chips too much for a MFRB?

500 will fit just fine. When I ship I put some bubble wrap/padding on the bottom, load the chip boxes, add bubble wrap/padding on the sides and top, and seal 'er up with a small piece of tape. I give it a decent shake while holding the top flaps down with my hands and if the boxes don't slosh around and I don't hear any chips rattling around I tape it up for good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom