Packaging / Shipping recommendations. Box size and padding type. (2 Viewers)

I'm pretty sure Joe at PGI was saying 800-900 CPS chips would go MFRB for us...but I could be wrong...

nitzilla

Oh my...seems like that would leave little to no room for any sort of padding. I know they're "just" China Clays but they're not invincible. Fingers crossed for safe delivery if this is really the case.

How would you guys package a single white chip box with 100 mint chips in it? Tape around the box so there's less movement and a layer of newspaper for padding?

How would you guys package a single white chip box with 100 mint chips in it? Tape around the box so there's less movement and a layer of newspaper for padding?

I cut a piece of bubble wrap to fit the chip box (actually about three inches longer). With the box top off, wrap the bubble-wrap under one of the end barrels, run it along the top of the chips, and tuck it under the other end barrel. Tape the box shut (very tightly, and with more than one piece of strong tape) so that there is no internal movement. Shove it into a USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box and fill all available space with either styrofoam peanuts or densely-packed crumpled shipping paper, again where there is no internal movement within the box. Tape all external surfaces of the box with shipping tape so that moisture can't get in and it can't come apart, no matter how abused. For Canadian shippers, the SFRB can be folded inside-out so that the USPS markings are hidden.

Probably overkill, but I've never had a chip damaged in shipping.

Thanks! I don't have a second box to use but your post got me to tape it up a little bit tighter and add a bubble envelope to the mix.

If you have access to a vacuum sealer (Foodsaver ect), you have a rock solid way of protecting your chips in shipping.
Added bonus for Canadians, you can save a lot of money in shipping because you can send as a flat packet instead of parcel.

What you need:
- Vacuum sealer
- Media (bags for the vacuum sealer)
- Padded Envelope
- Cardboard cut about 1" smaller than the envelope all the way around. (cereal box cardboard is fine for thickness)
The envelope/cardboard size will determine how many chips you can send in this method.

Steps:
- Make a bag big enough to hold the cardboard +1/2"
- Make a single layer chips to go on the cardboard leaving some space in between each chip.
- You can put chips on either side of the cardboard, by placing the single layer of chips in the bag in a position ready for vacuum sealing, then putting the cardboard on top, and adding another layer of chips on top of that...It's a delicate dance, but can be done with care.
smile.png

- Vacuum seal it shut, the chips will stay in place and the plastic will go in between the chips so they won't rub. (If you leave space in between the chips)
- Put in a bubble wrap padded envelope and you are done.

Vacuum sealing is also good for a barrel of chips, since they are pretty tightly packed in the sealing process. I have seen Gear use this method time and time again, and there has never been a complaint.

How many chips at a time can you do with this method? If you did like 100, would you make each layer as flat and wide as possible (like a sheet) with no overlap or would you put 10-20 chips stacked and staggered in rows, with some space on either side?

Last edited:
don't pack like this... you may want to look away (I know I did)
good end to the story as the shipper made things right

upload_2018-1-23_20-24-52.png

upload_2018-1-23_20-25-5.png

upload_2018-1-23_20-25-30.png

upload_2018-1-23_20-27-57.png

Some casualties
upload_2018-1-23_20-28-12.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom