Overhead Poker Table Lighting... help (1 Viewer)

buffalojim

Royal Flush
Reaction score
So, I've had my poker table for over a year now. Had a local guy make one, nothing fancy but it's mine and I like it. My setup is far from nice but it's what I got right now. My lighting situation is horrible, however. I'm using a 2 fluorescent bulb ballast, and I hate it. It really bothers my eyes, even when I wear a hat. I was thinking of getting like a 3 bulb light, maybe something similar to this...

51Uq9G0UHwL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

My table is approximately 88"x48". I'm curious what some of you guys might use for lighting or what recommendations you may have. Without a proper diffuser, like certain pool table lights have, the higher end ones like Diamond makes, fluorescent lights are just the worst. Thoughts?

Here is my setup for the moment, excuse the disaster that is my basement.

PXL_20201007_040213216.jpg
PXL_20201007_040301107.jpg

Change your bulb to LED?

Edit - nevermind. I have a single lamp. plug in type of hanging light from amazon that cost like $38. I use a LED bulb in it.

Well, hello neighbor! I'm not very handy, but this seems like it might be the way to go. All I know is it has to change, I can't really stand it anymore lol.

Thank you both for the suggestions.

There are warmer flourescent tubes...

I like you're style. I did think of that, believe it or not. I figured with a warmer fluorescent it would get a bit dimmer and I really can't afford to lose any light. I may still try this anyway. Thanks :tup:

I guess the diffusers would have to be much deeper (long-skirted) than anyone shown here, or hung very low above the table (or both) in order to not have light get into peoples eyes.
I haven't seen anything dedicated anywhere on the internet with the exception of the 3-light rail above (with the shallow, however, diffusers).
@T_Chan ? :)

Highly suggest replacing them with LED tubes. They are available for fixtures like yours, and in a variety of color temperatures. They make them ballast compatible too if you don't want to bypass the ballasts. Literally just replace the existing bulbs and done. You will get bright consistent no-flicker light.

I redid my entire store (110 tubes) and they are going strong. A lot brighter.

My two cents, I bought a house with the light you posted first, already in the basement. I do love it but it was already there for a pool table and the poker fits nice underneath that same spot. Lights the whole table and very happy with it, I did have to raise it some as it was right in our eyes

My two cents, I bought a house with the light you posted first, already in the basement. I do love it but it was already there for a pool table and the poker fits nice underneath that same spot. Lights the whole table and very happy with it, I did have to raise it some as it was right in our eyes
Thanks very much for you thoughts :) I'm still trying to figure out what I might do. I may try to replace the bulbs in my current light with LED lights.

With a basement like that (unfinished utilitarian :)), I use an overhead beer sign I found on Craigslist. I did switch out the bulbs to LEDs and added a diffuser I grabbed from Lowes. It works great! The picture below shows it in “storage mode” and I lower it on game nights

FE48F4C1-46C5-4059-9C21-EE56B9D380E4.jpeg

EF47B0F0-0455-4F6F-A068-9F0CE9394326.jpeg

With a basement like that (unfinished utilitarian :)), I use an overhead beer sign I found on Craigslist. I did switch out the bulbs to LEDs and added a diffuser I grabbed from Lowes. It works great! The picture below shows it in “storage mode” and I lower it on game nights

View attachment 548453
View attachment 548456
That looks like a great light. I think the diffuser really helps. Nice!

Reactions: 72o
That looks like a great light. I think the diffuser really helps. Nice!
Thanx man. There are usually tons of these lights on Craigslist for $100-200. It definitely needed a diffuser but it was such an easy fix to add one.

@buffalojim I have played several home games that use "pool table" lighting as in your OP and by @72o above.
They work great and don't have to be very expensive
Really appreciate the feedback. Been playing pool my whole life so I'm quite familiar with bar table lights and full size 9ft pool table lights. The diffuser is a must IMO. The one thing that holds me back from a light like the one I posted in my OP is a direct line of sight to exposed bulb, it's most unpleasant. I had lasik several years ago and I think my sensitivity has worsened as I get older.

Really appreciate the feedback. Been playing pool my whole life so I'm quite familiar with bar table lights and full size 9ft pool table lights. The diffuser is a must IMO. The one thing that holds me back from a light like the one I posted in my OP is a direct line of sight to exposed bulb, it's most unpleasant. I had lasik several years ago and I think my sensitivity has worsened as I get older.
This
I did switch out the bulbs to LEDs and added a diffuser I grabbed from Lowes. It works great!

Reviving my old thread here.

Ok, well I found a deal on an old school light I couldn't pass up for $75. Waiting to get it and hopefully replace the bulbs with Philips Universal Fit bulbs, which apparently are plug & play. Need to look into this further.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips...Tube-Light-Bulb-4000K-2-Pack-539155/308326893

Maybe I can shove one of these diffusers up in there too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plaskolite-Egg-Crate-Silver-Louver-1199238A/202025148

Anybody using these type of 4ft LED replacement bulbs? What's a good temperature to get 3000K, 4000K, 5000K?

messages_0(1).jpeg
messages_0.jpeg
messages_0(2).jpeg

That's great! What temperature do you prefer for table lighting, or just in general?
I got the same one you quoted (4000K). I don't want to recommend one for an overhead light for poker. My unfinished basement is just storage and the washer/dryer. I just needed to replace the bulbs in the light down there and they worked.

I got the same one you quoted (4000K). I don't want to recommend one for an overhead light for poker. My unfinished basement is just storage and the washer/dryer. I just needed to replace the bulbs in the light down there and they worked.
Fair enough, thanks for confirming they're just plug and play though, that helps.

I use one Led pot light above each end section of the oval table. They are on a dimmer switch. I also have Led FCOB lights behind a diffuser under the rail, which is also dimmable.
Above the center of the table, I made my own light from a plastic planter, which goes with my table theme.
The table lighting and a overhead lighting is perfect.

Attachments

• 20221109_155036.jpg
    20221109_155036.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 66
  • poker clock.jpg
    poker clock.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 67

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom