Oval or round table for poker home ? (1 Viewer)

CUORE3

Two Pair
Reaction score
Hello!

I wanted to buy a table for my home. I am currently using a Neoprene mat.

At first, I wanted to buy an oval table because it is a real poker table. But now, a round table seems more practical to me. At my house, everyone shuffles the cards and the dealer changes every turn.

It’s always difficult for the players at the extremists at the table to distribute the game.

I wanted to have advice on the pros and cons. If you played on these two models, which one did you prefer?

thank you so much !

I would identify two specific factors when choosing oval vs round.
  1. Do you have enough space from players to easily get up from and into their chairs? An oval will be narrower in the middle so a better option for some rectangular shaped rooms while a round table is going to be uniformly wide.
  2. How many people are typically going to be playing? If it's usually going to be more than 8 a round table is not going to be very comfortable.

I prefer round for self dealt games. As you noted, it can be a real pain to pitch cards from one end to the other on a long table.

On the other hand, getting 10 players on a round can get crowded. And the size of the room may impact. If you have a narrow room a round may be a tight squeeze.

How many people usually play?

I have a round table and love it. Perfect for 6 to 7 players max (7 can't be a bunch of beefy sized people or it gets tight). Any larger and I go oval (though I'd like to try a 10 player round)

At first, I wanted to buy an oval table because it is a real poker table.
Meh. Real Holdem maybe. I think you’ll find a lot of people who would tell you that real poker is 6-8 guys playing different games, most of which require more than 2 cards per player.
Ovals are really only good for one thing, and that’s holdem games with more than 8 players. If that’s what you’re doing, then yeah, get a big oval. But a more intimate round with fewer players will provide better sight lines, easier self-dealing, and access to the pot for everybody.

My next table will be round. I am planning on moving on to 7 max mixed games when I get the opportunity to host again. For 9+, this will be tough though.

Pretty much agree with everyone else here. I have 3 tables, a big oval, smaller oval, and 58" round. If we have 8 players or less, I will always use the round. I much prefer playing at a round table. However, as others have said, a round table big enough for 8 people does not fit very well in many rooms.

Do you have enough space from players to easily get up from and into their chairs? An oval will be narrower in the middle so a better option for some rectangular shaped rooms while a round table is going to be uniformly wide.
Indeed, my room is rectangular but not narrow.
How many people usually play?
Most of the time, I play with 6 to 8 players.

Thank you all for your messages. Your advice has helped me a lot. Definitely, i'm thinking of buying a round table.

I play between 6 and 8 players, my room is not narrow and all the players distribute the game. the round table seems more suited to my situation.

A lot depends on your space but if given a choice I'd always say round. A round table (even an octagon) is perfect for self dealt games of 6-8 people which is the sweet spot IMO. 9-10 is not an enjoyable game IMO and is only good for Hold Em/Tournament games.

If going with a bigger table I prefer an Elipse rather than the standard large Oval style. You get better sight lines and reaching is not as big an issue, except for the end of table seats which suck at most larger tables.

Oval is best because you can get the benefits of both worlds. If you need more room for 9-10 players, you have it. If you want less players (say for mixed games with multiple cards) then just don't sit anyone on the ends of the oval. Everyone is still close enough.

It's a matter of room space (oblong rooms demand ovals, while square rooms demand round tables), but also a matter of priorities.
A round shape is best for communicating, and hence for any game, including poker (especially if self-dealt).
But, to give every player/participant enough peripheral ("rail") width for more than 8 people on a round table, you have to make it too big for players reaching the center.
For general use (for people unsure if their game is going to be 8-max or more, or unsure about using a dedicated dealer or not), the best solution is a thick round-ish oval.

Watch facebook marketplace you'll be surprised what you will find....I got 2 nice tables for less than what I sold a set of Milano style china clays....

easily the best poker deal I have ever secured. 1 table is a 9 player cash and the other a 10 player tourney table with nice wooden bases, racetrack and speed cloth.

I am watching the same service for a round or Octagon table that is nice/cheap/easy to store or a nice one with a table top that I can use in my kitchen in place of the older worn kitchen table that is there now. Then I can have a social games table and a larger group set of tables stored in the basement for when there are plans for bigger games.

edit, just observed the OP is in Switzerland. Not sure what the marketplace situation is like over there.....In Canada it is an unfortunate bonanza right now with folks selling items to make rent/mortgages.

I think it depends is this table going to be a kitchen table an have a table top cover you can remove when you are playing or is going to be something you break out when your have the rare game. Price should also be consider for example ESPN foldable table you get a Walmart for $349.75 sometimes you can get them on sale but that's like low end for a foldable 8 to 10 person table the High end can $600 dollars an up. Not to talk about the weight of the table Unless it going in like a gaming room an people are coming to your house then smaller better if it going to travel. So if it just a couple people you be better off get a foldable poker top to put on like small foldup table. The are light weight easy to put in a bag an push under a bed and to move and set up.

From what I 've seen there is only one really top, high-quality poker table builder in Europe: Jarque, in France.
If you can brave transatlantic shipping, taxes and Customs tariffs, of course, Chanman tables are top-notch.

I prefer round table for self deal, especially if you play 6 handed which is very popular nowadays.

However if you playing anything more than 8 people, you will need a very BIG round table or oval if not it will be very crowded
If you ask @T_Chan he would recommend against BIG Round tables because it is very hard for players to scoop up things from the middle of the table without having to get up and reach over. At least I think it was Tony that recommended me against that when I asked him a while ago. I think a moderately sized round tables for 6 to 8 would be fine.

Round
Weller HARDWELL TABLE .jpeg
IMG_20190831_224013065.jpg
Hardy's Poker Club remodel.jpg

If you ask @T_Chan he would recommend against BIG Round tables because it is very hard for players to scoop up things from the middle of the table without having to get up and reach over. At least I think it was Tony that recommended me against that when I asked him a while ago. I think a moderately sized round tables for 6 to 8 would be fine.

Yep, correct on all counts.

I wouldn't go any larger than 5' diameter.

It's decided! I go to a round table :) As a reminder, I host between 6 and 8 players and this is a self-distributed game.

I found this post about sizing of the table so I'm thinking between 52 and 60''.
I will try to build 3 trays with cardboard to have an idea of the sizes once in my living room.

It's decided! I go to a round table :) As a reminder, I host between 6 and 8 players and this is a self-distributed game.

I found this post about sizing of the table so I'm thinking between 52 and 60''.
I will try to build 3 trays with cardboard to have an idea of the sizes once in my living room.
Love a round table!
PXL_20230409_033354786.jpg

54" was pretty popular

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom