Outsourcing Upholstery? (1 Viewer)

ruskba

Flush
Reaction score
Anyone outsourced their rail upholstery? I’ve done a vinyl rail and it was fine, but not spectacular. I’m considering doing leather for my round table, which I have zero interest in trying myself. If I could outsource it (give them the rail, and possibly the padding), anyone have an idea of what I might expect to pay?

@T_Chan, any thoughts?

Interesting question. I haven't heard of anyone finding someone to outsource this type of work to so I am interested in people's experiences as well.

I have heard of this being done before, especially if the rail needs to be stitched. I've tried to outsource rail upholstery before but got the product back looking pretty poor... Poker table rails are a really specific type of upholstery which isn't really the same as any other furniture, so it can be hit or miss.

Maybe an auto upholstery place??
That’s about the only place I think could outsource it to, that might do a decent job.
I have no idea what they costs.

I did put a feeler out to a furniture upholstery shop. One other place specializes in dentist chairs, which was cool, but didn’t seem worth checking on. An auto shop will be my next inquiry.

I've done rail upholstery for other table builders, but it cost 'em. I don't enjoy that component of table-making.

I've done rail upholstery for other table builders, but it cost 'em. I don't enjoy that component of table-making.

How much are we talking? I’m completely in the dark on what this might cost.

Basic oval or round (max 48" dia.) slip-on rail was billed at $150 plus materials (extra $25 if I supplied them). Permanently attached or T-bolt construction usually ran $200-$225 plus materials.

Did that include construction of the rail or just upholstery of the rail they provided?

Seems pretty reasonable to me. What do you think you’d charge to upholster a rail the customer had already built?

Seriously though, constructing the rail itself isn't very hard, or even all that time consuming. Most of the hard labor is in stretching and stapling the vinyl and ensuring a tight, uniform, and wrinkle-free product appearance.

If it just needed the foam and vinyl added, I guess it would be around $100 or so. Fifty bucks to cut, sand, and assemble the wood components seems about right, too.

I’d agree that those numbers are reasonable. Appreciate the input.

My rail upholstery was outsourced when it was re-done about three years ago. I supplied the vinyl but not the padding (although they probably used the pre-existing padding). I think I paid something like $150-$200. The guy is an upholsterer but had done rails previously. He did a fantastic job.

Did that include construction of the rail or just upholstery of the rail they provided?

Seems like the real construction would be infinitely more easy if done at the same time as the other services were built. As for upholstery of the rail, that could be done anytime in my opinion

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom