Our Northwoods Cabin Journey (1 Viewer)

There's a lot to unpack in this post. A ton of things have happened this summer, and there are tons of updates to the property, and the situation with my Uncle.

To be blunt, I just learned my uncle passed away this afternoon unexpectantly. He was the only family member remaining on my mother's side of the family. I'm deeply saddened by his passing, and his daughter confided in me that he'd been exhibiting dementia-like symptoms with everyone this past year, not just me. This explains a lot.

Our big project for 2023 was stain!! We took two weeks to power wash, allow the siding to dry, then apply stain. Three coats was brutal, and it's expensive stuff (around $150 gal). But the results speak for themselves.

IMG_8176.jpeg
IMG_8265.jpeg
IMG_4500.jpeg
IMG_8335.jpeg
dji_fly_20230704_071150_240_1688472718001_photo_optimized.jpeg
dji_fly_20230707_144126_265_1688758897811_photo_optimized.jpeg

We are always looking for perfect decor items, and scored a couple really heavy metal artwork pieces. We hung the giant bear over the stairs, and a large metal valance over the basement bar area.

IMG_8193.jpeg
IMG_8199.jpeg
IMG_8230.jpeg

We snagged some additional snowshoes of FB marketplace, and we hung them near the poker table. We relocated the "Lienie's Paddle" from this area to the area under the stairs (along with a new wooden bench I refinished).

IMG_1332.jpeg
IMG_8974.jpeg
IMG_8847.jpeg
IMG_8977.jpeg

Check out this amazing night shot of the rear of the cabin. We installed some solar lights for the patio area.

IMG_8308.jpeg

We always take time to enjoy the areas amazing trails, whether mountain biking or ATVing.

IMG_8372.jpeg

Developing solid local relationships allowed us to get a huge 8' deep hole dug for $400, and all plumbing work done for around $300 (over a weekend). $100 in parts, and this was the cheapest excavation/plumbing repair I've ever had. I swear if I had a plumber come to our main house to look at a leaky faucet, I'd be billed $1200.

IMG_8382.jpeg

Here's the new hydrant installed in the garage. This included a heated tape that should prevent future freezing, even though the pipe goes down 6' under ground level.

IMG_8385.jpeg

The mower caused us grief this year. Several things went wrong with it, but none were major. First, I replaced all three blades (simple), then I needed to repair the tires, which were tubeless and had slow leaks (we took them to a shop and got tubes put in for $15 each). We then had the drive belt break, and that was a PITA to replace. But now it drives much better.

IMG_8520.jpeg

We had my cousin Troy visit with his family. Troy is the only remaining family member on my dad's side of the family. His wife and daughter enjoying a jump off the pier. On a side note, Troy is the one who got me into poker, bought me my first set of chips as a groomsman gift. Granted, it was dice chips, but the case was nicely engraved and everything!

IMG_8591.jpeg

Here's our families out ATVing, stopped at a secluded WW2 bomber crash site memorial.

IMG_1682.jpeg

Our journey has been tough this year. Lotta work, but the cabin is in a good place (physically). With the economy and lack of snow at the cabin, it's been slow for rental bookings. This means a tough stretch of covering two big mortgages. Hopefully the snow starts to fly and we get some snowmobile bookings.

Now with my uncle's passing, it's a bit weird. We definitely had a strained (pretty much non-existent) relationship this past year, but I was never really mad at him. It was the other way around. He was mad at me, and now it appears as if there's family-wide acceptance he was suffering from more severe dementia that anyone would admit. This explains a lot. Onward!!!

Just catching up on this thread. Does your rental contract allow for posting pics of your guests online?
Identity has been obscured/blurred. And if you are drunk as hell and are poised to stab someone in my cabin, all bets are off... I think I went above and beyond by blotting out their face.

Lol, I just assumed he had grey on his face... Didn't realized you bloated his face out.
And if you are drunk as hell and are poised to stab someone in my cabin, all bets are off..
Wait. Contract terms are rock solid for things like tools and tractors, but they can be ignored in short term rental contracts?

Lol, I just assumed he had grey on his face... Didn't realized you bloated his face out.

Wait. Contract terms are rock solid for things like tools and tractors, but they can be ignored in short term rental contracts?
What are you trying to get at? There is no violation of any rental contract. As a general rule of decency, we would never use any images of guests for promotional purposes without their permission. If we did that, they might have some legal claim, but that’s nothing to do with our rental contract. In this instance, Im using an image that has the identity of the guest obscured, and it’s not for business related purposes.

My only point is that you intimated that "all bets are off" (i.e. any contract terms don't apply) if a guest was drunk and about to stab someone, which seems contradictory to your previous position on contract terms.

I originally brought it up because it didn't seem wise to post pictures of your guests; I didn't realize that you had obscured facial features. Carry on.

Also sorry for the loss of your uncle. I'm glad your family was able to bring his retirement dream to it's full potential.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom