Optima Red and Yellow Top batteries (1 Viewer)

Tommy

Royal Flush
Admin
Supporter
Reaction score
Had a little trouble starting my truck the other night. It was the first real cold night. I still have a factory battery that is just 4 years old. From what I read, 4-5 years is the normal lifespan for these batteries. I ordered a Red Top battery from Amazon tonight. $140 with free shipping. I always heard good things about this brand so we shall see.

Had to replace my wifes battery at 6 yrs old, my truck is going on 11 years! That being said my truck is a stripped down version, so the only thing the battery does is start the truck. Ill need one this winter so I will have to check it out.

Yellow or Red top?

My wifes battery is just whatever brand they had advanced, im planning on red top for my truck. Although if I knew it would last 11 years again I would buy a motorcraft from Ford again.

Here is a good story... So my Red top battery came Wed 10/22. I was working late so I was going to put it in when I got home. Before i left work my buddy was telling me about his wife's car needing a new battery. I told him about the the Red and Yellow top batteries. He was going to check them out.

When I got home, I parked in the garage and got ready to swap the battery out. I opened the box that the Red top was in and it looked way smaller than the battery I already have. The CCA on the Red top actually had 10 more than my factory battery but the reserve was lower. It turned out that I needed the Yellow Top battery. (The Red top would of worked fine but the correct one was the Yellow top) I got Amazon on chat and told them I need to return the Red top for the Yellow top. They said that they do not accept returns of car batteries because of the hazards they could pose to their workers.

They refunded my $140 and told me to try and sell it or dispose of it properly. I order the Yellow top for $209 from them and it should be here today. I called my buddy and asked if he was interested in the Red top battery if it fits his wife's car. He was definitely interested. So I checked and it was the same model Red top for his wife's car. I told him the story and sold it to him for $70 bucks. :)

Not a bad deal at all. You both made out. You basically got the Yellow battery for the price of the Red.

Got the new battery in Monday. Was a little tricky getting the battery mount/strap back on to hold the battery securely. It doesn't have square edges like the factory battery. The old battery was very corroded where the terminals meet the top. Also was swollen on the one side. It was definitely on its way out.

Just a tip when changing a car battery, always take the negative off first and put it back on last.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom