Opinions Wanted - Custom Chips With Out Denominations (1 Viewer)

davesilver88

Two Pair
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

What is your opinion on custom poker chips without denominations on them?

I'm new to this community and currently do not own a custom set, I only own a 500 set of the common plastic/ceramic "dice" set - which naturally do not have denominations on them.

I pose this question to you all because you have great experience with custom chips and I'm interested in your opinions. I'm currently of the opinion where I want my set to NOT have denominations on them, to allow flexibility of the stakes / game with minimal confusion. However, I see that most of your custom sets have the denomination on them.

Thanks!

Denominations make the chips very approachable, people don't need to keep asking what the red or black chips are, and it gives a sense of actual value. Denoms on the chips leads to less confusion and less questions. In the end its your chips, do whatever you'd like, but denominations are popular for a reason. One caveat is the "frac", or fraction; these are the lowest chips that may be 5cents, 25cents, or 50cents depending on the game. Having a chip with no denom allows for that flexibility at low stakes.

As you increase in stakes, it also adds a measure of security. If I run a tournament with non-denominated custom chips (or dice or whatever) and someone palms a black chip, they can later cash that in for $100. Obviously that's an extreme example and hopefully if you're asking this question you're not playing with random scammers or at those stakes.

And, the quiet part out loud: having denominations on them means I need to buy more chips.

Back when I first started hosting, our group just had cheap dice chips. Players (especially new players) were constantly asking how much each chip was worth. Eventually, I bought some cheap labels with denominations on them to put on those dice chips. Those questions were eliminated entirely, and I've gone with chip denominations ever since.

Are you mainly running tournaments or cash games?

For my first set I wanted something that could do both. I ended up buying a set of CPC rounders that I could use for both cash and tournament.

100 $25's - also play as quarters
200 $100's - also play as dollars
100 $500's - also play as 5 dollar chips
Also have 50 $1,000 and 50 $5,000 for a tournament

The only reason I showed up here (way back when) was to find chips with numbers on them. So you can guess my opinion.

And though many people here get carried away owning way too many sets like hoarders, I do think it’s nice to have 2 or 3 or 4 different sets for different stakes or purposes. If that’s not for you, you do you. I think denominated chips add a measure of professionalism and organization. But people have been using undenominated chips at home games forever, so that works too.

Denominations make the chips very approachable, people don't need to keep asking what the red or black chips are, and it gives a sense of actual value. Denoms on the chips leads to less confusion and less questions. In the end its your chips, do whatever you'd like, but denominations are popular for a reason. One caveat is the "frac", or fraction; these are the lowest chips that may be 5cents, 25cents, or 50cents depending on the game. Having a chip with no denom allows for that flexibility at low stakes.

As you increase in stakes, it also adds a measure of security. If I run a tournament with non-denominated custom chips (or dice or whatever) and someone palms a black chip, they can later cash that in for $100. Obviously that's an extreme example and hopefully if you're asking this question you're not playing with random scammers or at those stakes.

And, the quiet part out loud: having denominations on them means I need to buy more chips.
Haha, I like how you ended your post.

Makes total sense what you’re saying, if the denominations are on the chip there naturally should be no confusion on what it’s value is.

Are you mainly running tournaments or cash games?

For my first set I wanted something that could do both. I ended up buying a set of CPC rounders that I could use for both cash and tournament.

100 $25's - also play as quarters
200 $100's - also play as dollars
100 $500's - also play as 5 dollar chips
Also have 50 $1,000 and 50 $5,000 for a tournament
Mainly cash games. My primary poker group would be $0.50 / $1 blinds, $100 buy in. And I see what you mean, you can just move the decimal point over (in your head) and they still work as “fracs.” Maybe a 500 Rounders set is the way for me to go as my first set.

The only reason I showed up here (way back when) was to find chips with numbers on them. So you can guess my opinion.

And though many people here get carried away owning way too many sets like hoarders, I do think it’s nice to have 2 or 3 or 4 different sets for different stakes or purposes. If that’s not for you, you do you. I think denominated chips add a measure of professionalism and organization. But people have been using undenominated chips at home games forever, so that works too.
This is really well put, appreciate your input.

I see two types of cash games in my future with two different friend groups:

$0.50 / $1 - $100 buy in
$0.1 / $0.2 - $20 buy in

My initial thought has been, try to keep cost down and do not put the demonstration on the chip - which I could then use at both games. But now that you mention it, I like the “professional” aspect.

Then again, my style is more “old school,” of those traditional white / red / blue colors. I leaned to play with a flimsy plastic set with my late grandmother, so I kind of been thinking this whole time to simply make a clay version of those with a circle square mold (maybe dots, maybe not).

Mainly cash games. My primary poker group would be $0.50 / $1 blinds, $100 buy in. And I see what you mean, you can just move the decimal point over (in your head) and they still work as “fracs.” Maybe a 500 Rounders set is the way for me to go as my first set.

My recommendation is to take your time, spend some time looking through threads, marketplace and doing some research.

Since you asked... Other than a few specific examples, I HATE them.

I started playing poker with super diamonds. Plastic solid colored chips with diamond molds around the outside that are a tiny step up from dice chips. My opinion. As others have stated, players were always asking for confirmation of the denominations. I made the decision YEARS before coming here that one day I would have chips with denominations.

Another important reason that I'm surprised I haven't seen here yet is chip security. You think you know and trust your buds, but when money is involved, why risk it and provide the temptation. That's why we're always telling new members to not use the same set of chips for tournaments and cash games. And same thing goes for using the same chip as two different denoms in different cash games. Do you really want to tempt the guy who's playing in the micro game, but thinking about moving up to pocket a couple chips worth a small amount, then reintroduce them into the larger game? You don't always know what is going on in a person's life. Don't even allow for the temptation.

Your two cash games will use all the same denominations except for the 10 cent chip needed for the smaller game. So it's just one additional chip. Just get this breakdown.

100 x 10 cents
100 x 50 cents (might want 2-3 barrels more depending on starting stacks you will use in the micro game)
200-300 x $1
200-300 x $5
A few larger denoms like $20 or $25. Two or three barrels is probably enough. Just get enough so your total bank exceeds the most you ever expect to have on the table, now or in the future.
All my cash sets also have a few hundos, but I've never had them on the table. They are just there for future expansion and "cool" factor. Do what you want here.

I started playing poker with super diamonds. Plastic solid colored chips with diamond molds around the outside that are a tiny step up from dice chips. My opinion. As others have stated, players were always asking for confirmation of the denominations. I made the decision YEARS before coming here that one day I would have chips with denominations.

Another important reason that I'm surprised I haven't seen here yet is chip security. You think you know and trust your buds, but when money is involved, why risk it and provide the temptation. That's why we're always telling new members to not use the same set of chips for tournaments and cash games. And same thing goes for using the same chip as two different denoms in different cash games. Do you really want to tempt the guy who's playing in the micro game, but thinking about moving up to pocket a couple chips worth a small amount, then reintroduce them into the larger game? You don't always know what is going on in a person's life. Don't even allow for the temptation.

Your two cash games will use all the same denominations except for the 10 cent chip needed for the smaller game. So it's just one additional chip. Just get this breakdown.

100 x 10 cents
100 x 50 cents (might want 2-3 barrels more depending on starting stacks you will use in the micro game)
200-300 x $1
200-300 x $5
A few larger denoms like $20 or $25. Two or three barrels is probably enough. Just get enough so your total bank exceeds the most you ever expect to have on the table, now or in the future.
All my cash sets also have a few hundos, but I've never had them on the table. They are just there for future expansion and "cool" factor. Do what you want here.
Likes my post then says nobody has mentioned security! I know you Texans are big on your security though, should've bolded it! :sneaky:

100 x 10 cents
200-300 x $1
200-300 x $5
Thanks for the input! I find myself already leaning toward putting the denomination on my first set.
I'm also thinking that if I can get the lower stakes game up to $.25 / $.50, I could see getting a 500 chip set with denoms of .25, 1, 5, 25, and a barrel (I think means 20) of 100's for fun.

Thanks for the input! I find myself already leaning toward putting the denomination on my first set.
I'm also thinking that if I can get the lower stakes game up to $.25 / $.50, I could see getting a 500 chip set with denoms of .25, 1, 5, 25, and a barrel (I think means 20) of 100's for fun.
I didn't mention quarters, because of the stakes you stated. Honestly, I love micro stakes games. I never personally use 10 cent / 50 cent chips myself, even though one of my sets has them. All my cash sets have nickels and quarters. We play nickel/dime stakes a lot with family members who play very little poker. Usually $15-20 starting stacks. Could even do just $10 if we wanted to. It's very approachable for novice players. Who can't afford $10-30 for a few hours of recreation, and the more they play, the more confident they get and might eventually want to move up to higher stakes. Plus nickels and quarters are just more flexible and you can play any fractional blinds with them. Whereas you are more limited with dimes and 50 cent chips.

I played with super diamonds for years.

I found cashing out problematic with a slight buzz. I once handed out too many chips, thinking I was being funny, but the error cost me money when they cashed out.

Denoms help avoid problems and questions. They help dealers cash in and cash out.

Conversions are awful, ignore every instance of me encouraging folks to do it.

PS. Margaritas are good.
PPS. I’m going with a non-denom limit set because @BonScot told me to. He’s persuasive. But limit sets are different from complicated cash sets.

I've played with both. In tournament play, I dont mind non denominational, as it is fairly straight forward based on the 4 different color for the chips.
For cash games, I've played with both, but I prefer $$ denomination chips. Easier when cashing in with less confusion IMO.

I'm also thinking that if I can get the lower stakes game up to $.25 / $.50, I could see getting a 500 chip set with denoms of .25, 1, 5, 25
Or even .25/.25 would be an option too if coming from .1/.2.

My current cash set has: .25 X 100, $1 X 150 , $5x200, $25 x 25, $100 x 25. We have played games from .25/.25 up to 1/2 with no issues at all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom