Opinions on my Pokemon theme chips? (1 Viewer)

spartan037

Pair
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

What do you think of these inlays, & chips? I know some of them the denominations the colors are hard to read. I am not sure if I should just make it all black text or not?

I am open to criticism but please understand I am an amateur with Photopea and the PokerChipDesignTool.

Do you like the Pokemon chosen for the color? I tried to match the color to the Pokemon and its power. Dugtrio feels a little weaker than 25000. Also I couldn't choose between Volpix, Ponyta, or Growlite for the red.

1629777419196.png

All of the chips share 2 sometimes 3 colors or even 4 colors. This may look cool but will not make for an enjoyable experience on the felt and stacks will be extremely dirty. Maybe try to make both the spots and base colors representative of the Pokémon?

All of the chips share 2 sometimes 3 colors or even 4 colors. This may look cool but will not make for an enjoyable experience on the felt and stacks will be extremely dirty. Maybe try to make both the spots and base colors representative of the Pokémon?

Ill keep that in mind about the color and try to play around with different colors.

Why wouldn't it be enjoyable on the felt? Aren't all chips expected to get dirty? How would the color make it dirty?

I can't read the denominations, and there is pink in every chip except one. Neither of these is desirable.

Ya Ill try to make them more distinct the next draft.

Whats wrong with having some pink many of the chips?

Squirtle should be the highest denom.

I was debating between Gyarados and Blasttoise. I wanted a high level Pokemon for the denominations.

If you do don't make each chip colour match a specific Pokemon it would be a missed opportunity.

I would change up the spot patterns to help in that respect.

And I'd reduce the amount of reused colours. It will cause dirty stack issues.

And where is the Pokeball half pie bounty chip lol
Screenshot_20210824_123317.jpg

Ill keep that in mind about the color and try to play around with different colors.

Why wouldn't it be enjoyable on the felt? Aren't all chips expected to get dirty? How would the color make it dirty?

Ya Ill try to make them more distinct the next draft.

Whats wrong with having some pink many of the chips?

I was debating between Gyarados and Blasttoise. I wanted a high level Pokemon for the denominations.
Dirty means that the chips will be difficult to differentiate from each other when in play. Leads to miscalculation of bets and stack sizes, confusing players. The lineup you have there would be tough. Repeating colors can work but try to limit it to 2 maybe 3 chips with a repeating color. And try to avoid repeating colors in chips that are side by side as well if possible

A dirty stack isn't one that is necessarily soiled but a case where a chip from one denomination gets mixed in or mistaken with another either in a stack or in a pot.

The point @JeepologyOffroad is trying to make is having chips with many different spot colors that are otherwise similar to the spots (or base) colors of other chips make this easier to happen.

The spots should ideally be different than the base or spot colors of the chips in "nearby" denominations (meaning one level higher or lower) to help minimize this and ideall won't use the same spot colors across all denominations as you have in these examples. Spots are there to help distinguish one chip denomination from another.

EDIT - and it looks like @JeepologyOffroad was typing at the same time I was! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

If you do don't make each chip colour match a specific Pokemon it would be a missed opportunity.

I would change up the spot patterns to help in that respect.

And I'd reduce the amount of reused colours. It will cause dirty stack issues.

And where is the Pokeball half pie bounty chip lolView attachment 762184

Ill keep that in mind in the next draft.

I didn't realize reused colors are an issue with dirty stacks.

I was considering using specific pokeballs that are similar color to the pokemon.

was thinking of making the edgespots similar to the pokeballs. But it make the chips a lot more expensive.

1629779907601.png

Dirty means that the chips will be difficult to differentiate from each other when in play. Leads to miscalculation of bets and stack sizes, confusing players. The lineup you have there would be tough. Repeating colors can work but try to limit it to 2 maybe 3 chips with a repeating color. And try to avoid repeating colors in chips that are side by side as well if possible

Ok I got it now. Thanks. the way you wrote sounded like the felt was going to make dirty. Ill definitely keep that in mind for the next version.

I couldn't help myself lol I'm a mock-up slut.

The progression and colours don't work at all, but I tried to do a couple with some spots that might at least make sense with the pokemon. Your current spots are level 4, so you've got some room to play around with to keep the cost down . All of these except for the yellow are level 3.
Screenshot_20210824_125715.jpg

Just play around in the design tool and come up with a million mocks and you will end up getting there in the end. Get plenty of feedback too, since people will always suggest things that you won't have considered yourself.

Hi Everyone,

What do you think of these inlays, & chips? I know some of them the denominations the colors are hard to read. I am not sure if I should just make it all black text or not?

I am open to criticism but please understand I am an amateur with Photopea and the PokerChipDesignTool.

Do you like the Pokemon chosen for the color? I tried to match the color to the Pokemon and its power. Dugtrio feels a little weaker than 25000. Also I couldn't choose between Volpix, Ponyta, or Growlite for the red.

View attachment 762175

At first, I thought this must be a troll. Now, I wish it had been. :x

I really like the idea. One thing you might consider would be going with ceramics, that can be printed with basically any design and color, including rolling edges. The end result can be really fun and unique. They're also a great value. Here are a few of my favorites:

Nuclear Monkey (in progress)

Caribe

Parks and Rec

@BR Pro Poker and @SUN-FLY Poker Chips can both make top-quality ceramics for you, and are trusted vendors here.

A few tips:
  • Take your time and get it right. Custom chips are a big investment.
  • Listen to advice of more experienced chippers
  • Hire a designer. There are a number of excellent PCF'ers who do great design work.
  • Get samples

I couldn't help myself lol I'm a mock-up slut.

The progression and colours don't work at all, but I tried to do a couple with some spots that might at least make sense with the pokemon. Your current spots are level 4, so you've got some room to play around with to keep the cost down . All of these except for the yellow are level 3.
View attachment 762193

Just play around in the design tool and come up with a million mocks and you will end up getting there in the end. Get plenty of feedback too, since people will always suggest things that you won't have considered yourself.
Wow those look really good. I see what you mean about the edgespots matching the colors of the Pokemon. To be honest I was originally using those colors because I thought they would look good in black light. One of themes I was thinking of was a trippy game room.

I really like the idea. One thing you might consider would be going with ceramics, that can be printed with basically any design and color, including rolling edges. The end result can be really fun and unique. They're also a great value. Here are a few of my favorites:

Nuclear Monkey (in progress)

Caribe

Parks and Rec

@BR Pro Poker and @SUN-FLY Poker Chips can both make top-quality ceramics for you, and are trusted vendors here.

A few tips:
  • Take your time and get it right. Custom chips are a big investment.
  • Listen to advice of more experienced chippers
  • Hire a designer. There are a number of excellent PCF'ers who do great design work.
  • Get samples

Thanks. I got samples. Bought a color sample and hot stamp sample from CPC and I got Tiki, Monte Carlo, a diverse chip sample and one other I don't remember from Apache. Any ways after testing feel and sound I am leaning away from the CPC but I still wanted to make a set of pokemon chips for fun. Are all BR Ceramic chips the same material like getting one sample of their chips is equivalent to rest?

Actually did you see the Mario Party topper thread in Group buys. In the interest thread @Pinesol13 has made several chip designs with Mario characters. If they make a GB for that I may go for that. Honestly I am not a poker player but a craps player (still enjoy poker). So the quantity is going to be larger then a couple of small sets.

I have no plans to buy anything yet I need to save up but still wanted to gauge the community's opinion and see where I could make improvements.

Wow those look really good. I see what you mean about the edgespots matching the colors of the Pokemon. To be honest I was originally using those colors because I thought they would look good in black light. One of themes I was thinking of was a trippy game room.

Thanks. I got samples. Bought a color sample and hot stamp sample from CPC and I got Tiki, Monte Carlo, a diverse chip sample and one other I don't remember from Apache. Any ways after testing feel and sound I am leaning away from the CPC but I still wanted to make a set of pokemon chips for fun. Are all BR Ceramic chips the same material like getting one sample of their chips is equivalent to rest?

Actually did you see the Mario Party topper thread in Group buys. In the interest thread @Pinesol13 has made several chip designs with Mario characters. If they make a GB for that I may go for that. Honestly I am not a poker player but a craps player (still enjoy poker). So the quantity is going to be larger then a couple of small sets.

I have no plans to buy anything yet I need to save up but still wanted to gauge the community's opinion and see where I could make improvements.

I'm hoping to have the Mario chip designs finished in a couple weeks. Then I'd post an interest thread to gauge if we have enough people to go forward with a group buy. Figure one month from then, submit the order. Then it's who knows how many months until they arrive in the US, then a few weeks to do all the reshipping.

If this group buy does happen, I'd guess roughly that people would have them by March 2022.

I have just found this thread having had a similar thought the other day! However, I did have a slightly different take on it!

In pokemongo all of the pokemon have different coloured 'candies'. These are generally 2 colours. I have attached a picture of the gen1 candies.

They could make for more subtle chips, with classic ish denominations etc. Just a thought!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 21.02.10.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 21.02.10.png
    554.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 21.02.39.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 21.02.39.png
    585.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 21.02.59.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 21.02.59.png
    391.2 KB · Views: 48
and then i found this! hmm

https://pokepalettes.com/#archen

now how do i design chips lol

Good luck would love to see what you come up with. while classic poker chips is limited in their designs I am sure the ceramic manufacturers could make those 2 color tone chips. What pokemon were you thinking of using and which denominations would they belong to?

Some initial musings! lol I used the chip tool, and then also did a version using the Matsui tool as they have more colours

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 10.15.57.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 10.15.57.png
    367.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 10.16.28.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 10.16.28.png
    170.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 10.19.06.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 10.19.06.png
    581.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 10.26.16.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 10.26.16.png
    424.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 10.25.49.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 10.25.49.png
    132.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 10.25.07.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 10.25.07.png
    133.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 10.24.03.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 10.24.03.png
    418.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 10.19.56.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 10.19.56.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 29
If it'd be me, I think it'd be cool to have gasly as the hundo and then only use the first pokemon in its evo line.

Personally, I would also go with a full Gen-I theme, and then Mankey would be on my white chip. And for the 500 ditto ahah. 2 of my favs Pokémon.

Gen 2 is nice too. After that, there is no other Pokémon for me ahah.

Cool project !

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom