Opinions on China Clays (1 Viewer)

I cleaned my royals in Dawn and warm water. They still gave off a light smell afterwards but it faded after a couple games and now they don't smell at all. I think the more you use them the better as far as the smell goes.

I have Dunes, pharaohs, majestic, big easy, tiki kings, and De los metros chip samples. PM me if you want me to send you some samples. Trying to pay it forward!

I disagree. Done right, China Clay's can be very classy.
1583432324494.png

I bought that set CPS referenced earlier. I'm not going to pretend they are as good as Paulson's or a good Ceramic (though I do dislike ceramic) in terms of overall quality. Nor am I going to pretend they are as good as Royals in terms of quality (they aren't IMO). I like the CPS overall design a little more than Royals, and I prefer 39mm a little more. The Royal's are definitely the most "clay" feeling of all the CCs though IMO.

But, CPS (and CC in general) are def a great chip for the price. And they in particular among CCs hold their value if that's something that matters to you. And if you care about general value, CCs are hard to ignore.

I have Dunes, pharaohs, majestic, big easy, tiki kings, and De los metros chip samples. PM me if you want me to send you some samples. Trying to pay it forward!
You and @Vice both mentioned owning Pharaohs. I'm waiting on my sample set being shipped, but now considering a nice set of 8Vs just offered up for sale. Do the Pharaohs have a pretty flat edge, or a lot of bevel, like Milanos? Milanos are so rounded, it's the only thing I don't like about them.

IMHO, when buying CC's, the most important factor is durability. Which, in this case, means they do not chip/degrade under normal use. Feel free to read this linked thread on durability and others on the forum, but from reading the tea leaves, it appears that all older (meaning not currently offered by vendors) CCs have had durability issues. Specifically, 8Vs (and similar), original Milanos, original Dunes CCs and original Pharaohs CCs.

After durability, again for me, it comes down to aesthetics. I happen to have sample sets of Milanos, Pharaohs, Dunes & Majestics and have attached a couple of pictures below. IMHO, each has pros & cons - Milanos are least expensive and overall a great design, Pharaohs come in many denominations, Dunes (my favorite) have a blue (vs. white) $1 and a $20 chip available and have the deepest engravings (least slippery), Majestics have bright colors, smaller labels (which means more revealed chip), are great for relabeling due to the variety of bright colors, and they have the squarest edges. Note: the Majestics do have a strong smell.

Regarding the flat/square edge question, the Milanos, Pharaohs and Dunes are so close, that I'd call them the same with any differences within manufacturing tolerances. The Majestics are more flat/square for sure, but not completely flat like older 8Vs (and related CCs).

If I were buying new CCs today:
Most bang for the buck --> Milanos
Best looking, feel, colors & denominations without customization --> Dunes
Best if not price sensitive which would permit custom labels & colors --> Majestics
(Note: Any good, used set would likely upset this calculus!)

My final thought is that the current CCs are so close in design, feel & cost, that they are more similar than different. All are great for poker games.

P.S. That chipped Milano 25¢ is likely an older version.
P.P.S. All chips shown are the 25¢, $1, $5, $25 ($20 for Dunes) & $100 chips for each series.

CCs 1.jpg
CCs 2.jpg

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom