Online 1/2 Hand (1 Viewer)

MoscowRadio

Flush
Reaction score
Last night I was playing an online 6-max 1/2 game and came across a hand that I wanted to get some insight on. Here's the situation:

Hero is playing slightly loose-aggressive, especially against Villain who is 3-betting a huge percentage of the time and from nearly any position. Because of this, Villain has been taking down a lot of pots preflop due to his sheer aggression. When he does get called he seems to shut down when he misses. Hero is sitting on $180 and Villain covers.

***Preflop***

Hero is in the CO with Villain on the button and puts in a raise to $6 with :as::8s:. Villain 3-bets, but only to $12 whereas his 3-bets have normally been around $17-$18. Everyone folds back around to Hero. Hero feels that this small of the 3-bet smells of weakness so Hero decides to put in a 4-bet to $32. Hero is ready to fold to any 5-bet, but Villain just flats. This only reinforces Hero's idea that Villain is not very strong here and will be able to take Villain off of his hand more times than not. We go to the flop with $67 in the pot. Hero has $148 left behind.

***The Flop***

The flop comes out :7s::9s::6d:. What should Hero do, bet or check? If Villain moves in, are we committed?

What are your thoughts?

Also, I like the 4-bet preflop a lot with this hand in this spot.

Bet 43-50, if needed, play for all your dollars...........sweet flop!

You mention your stack but not villians, which I believe comes into play. While I don't hate leading here, I can see an argument in going for a check-raise (opponent dependent)

If Villian will read your check as a hand like AK that whiffed or a hand that is afraid Villian is slowplaying Aces, Villian may put in money that you might not get from him if you lead out.

So either check-raise-shove here or lead out for $40-50 and be prepared to play for stacks looks good to me.

You mention your stack but not villians, which I believe comes into play. While I don't hate leading here, I can see an argument in going for a check-raise (opponent dependent)

If Villian will read your check as a hand like AK that whiffed or a hand that is afraid Villian is slowplaying Aces, Villian may put in money that you might not get from him if you lead out.

So either check-raise-shove here or lead out for $40-50 and be prepared to play for stacks looks good to me.

Effective starting stacks were $180. Villain had around $230.

The reason I wanted to post this hand is because of the end result, which I thought was interesting.

***Postflop***

With a stack of $148 behind, Hero bets $45 with the thought that, if called, he would have about a 2/3 pot-sized bet for the turn. Villain flats the $45 bet.

What I'm most interested in hearing from you all is what range can we assign Villain now that he's just called the c-bet?

Villain could just have an over pair to the flop. Unlikely with preflop action if he's aggressive. Maybe some type of flush or straight combo J10 or Q10..

Sheeit. Any hand that paired on this board. Any overpair. Any flush draw. Any hand with an 8 in it. Possibly JT. Possibly 55. Possibly AK. About the only things I'd rule out are 2p+ (didn't raise), KQ, KJ, QJ, and 22-44. ANY other hand and a loose player might find a call depending on the dynamic he perceives between you two.

My thought process was that we could take any big pair out of Villain's range; he definitely would have put in a fifth bet preflop. Even if Villain has a set, we still have close to 40% equity if my math is right and if we are up against an overpair then we're actually a pretty substantial favorite to win the hand. Before we ever got to the flop I was wondering if maybe he had a hand like JJ or TT and was maybe afraid of playing against a bigger pair.

***The Turn***

The turn brings the :qd: which isn't really much of a scare card because I don't feel it connects with anything he would've called the flop with. Hero shoves for $103 into a pot of $157 and Villain snap calls and turns over :7d::7c: for a flopped set. The river is :3s: and Hero scoops the pot.

Here are a few things that I find really interesting about this hand:
-Villain's preflop bet sizing. He only doubled my initial raise.
-Villain flat called the four-bet.
-Villain chose to slow play his hand on such a coordinated board.

I wanted to post this hand to see what you all thought about this. Do you think Villain was trying to turn 77 into a bluff or was he merely set-mining. Why would he slow play it? Against most players who are putting in a fourth bet, he's going to be way behind preflop, but then WAY ahead postflop. Do you think Villain made a mistake by doing this? Obviously the hand just played itself after the flop because of how hard I happened to hit it, but if he's against JJ+ then he's crushing and there's almost no way all the money's not going in anyways.

Thoughts?

You are making the assumption that Villain is a solid player who knows when to back off of his aggression. Not everyone plays optimally, or even near optimally, and some people like burning money. Some people are normally solid players, but they may go on full-blown monkey tilt for reasons you may not know. Either way, he didn't play the hand all that well, but still got the money in ahead and then got sucked out on. Poker is a fickle mistress.

Villain's line is a little schizo, but not totally bad at any point IMO - the only part I really don't understand is the small 3-bet. Calling the 4-bet is OK if he's giving you credit for 4-betting light a fair amount (which you are.) But then against an opponent who I thought was 4-betting with a wide range, I would ship that flop... Against someone who only has premium pairs/AK in his 4-betting range, calling is the play on the flop hands down. He doesn't face much risk against that range, and if you have something like JJ you are probably obligated to ship most turns after he calls, but may be able to get away if he jams the flop. But then if he thought you only had high pairs or AK pre, his preflop call was bad.

Small 3 bets (especially from position) are getting more and more common as it let's you 3 bet a wider range and bluff 5 bet cheaper more frequently. The non-stop agro also gets other players to occasionally spew from oop with hands like a8ss.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom