One of the best folds (1 Viewer)

In my opinion - Good result, bad decision absent knowing Hero's villain reads.

Let's keep in mind that this hand is late in the event. The stacks are all short(ish), Hero is getting just under 3-1 odds to call with the third nut hand.

I don't know how "In The Money" calculations might play into the decision, nor about side deals or meta game issues. But for me in a vacuum this is a snap call.

Obviously hero felt otherwise. I presume it was the conflict between the logic of the hand saying call and some gut level villain read that said it was time to fold. We can't tell anything about the latter, only the poker logic.

Hero made a "Hero" fold and was spot on right. Good for him, I would have made the wrong choice.

DrStrange

I can say with 100% confidence that I’d never fold there unless I’m heads up vs McKeehan. I’ve never seen anyone run as Godlike for as long as he has.

Last edited:
First of all he wouldn't have seen a river card if I was in th hand , so it's his fault he was in that spot , simple!!!!!

Honestly I don't even think that's the correct fold. In that particular situation it happened to be right, but against Joe Mckeehan specifically, who's a world class player capable of making plays there are just too many other hands that he'd do that with that I would beat. In that particular situation it was an incredible fold, but unless he had a very specific read that he was beat, I think he's good there way more than 25% of the time. In my mind QThh would be the only single hand that would beat me as played, maybe AA like 3% of the time. My guess would be that the money at stake at this position in the tournament had more to do with the fold than him thinking he was beat 75% of the time.

In my opinion - Good result, bad decision absent knowing Hero's villain reads.

But for me in a vacuum this is a snap call.

DrStrange

In a vacuum this is a slam dunk call absolutely. Even with the action, the villain could easily be trying to bluff with missed hearts, an open-ender, or had a very strangely played bottom set.

I don’t think I would have folded, but in tournament poker, in what looks like the final table, I don’t think it was that crazy of a fold. It’s the two big stacks.
Joe either has Q10 or a bluff. Is joe gonna risk all his chips - the second biggest stack - on a bluff, in that situation? And does Ian need to give away more than half of his stack - the biggest stack - to find out joe wasn’t bluffing?
I think it was a pretty smart fold.

I think it was a brilliant fold, but I don't think the hand should have gotten to the river. If you believe that your opponent doesn't have an ace, I think a bigger bet on the turn would have been appropriate.

Doug Polk made a great video about this hand and why it was a horrible fold. I completely agree it was a terrible fold unless he can see Joes cards

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom