One foot out the door - tap the glass or stay quiet? (1 Viewer)

RamRanch18

High Hand
Reaction score
Hosted in Georgia last week. 0.25/0.25 NL. Good mixed crowd, 5 guys that I know well and about as many that I wasn’t very familiar with. We ended up squeezing in 11 players at a single table due to my not wanting to turn away a last minute player. Very low stakes, probably only had $350 on the whole table at most.

Game played massively fishy as most of these guys are not experienced. I made the mistake of mixing it up with the two solid players and lost 80% of my stack early. Grinded back to a little above starting stack and then got the best of a multi-way all-in: my QQ flopped a set, next best hand was two pair Q3. I finished the night with about 3x the starting stack.

Here’s the thing: nearly every pot was limped around. Anywhere from 4-8 players seeing flops before “real” poker began. Aside from myself maybe 3 other players raised pre all night. Naturally I limped into a few to make sure I didn’t develop a nit image. Post flop play wasn’t so bad.

What would you all do in this situation? Stay quiet, tighten up your range and let casual players be casual? Or would you find a somewhat discreet way to “tap the glass”?
For context this is a group of under-25s, mostly college guys. Probably 2 of them have heard of ranges or pot odds. I’m thinking maybe next time I’ll throw out some casual discussion about basic stuff (see above: ranges and pot odds). I’m moving out of state soon so I won’t be around to miss out on any earnings as a result of these players getting better.

Good chance the other players aren’t interested in playing better, and a discussion about it will not go as intended. Could be they’re just casual players that are there for more social aspect than poker and want to throw a little cash around.

I’ve noticed that the more you try to raise inexperienced players pre-flop, they’ll either call just as much or groan that you’re raising too much for no reason.

You could crush players like this, or join in the fun. But if you’re looking for a more serious game, look elsewhere.

I play in a weekly game with a group of younger players. I avoid initiating any strategy talk at the table.

A couple of the guys recognize that I'm not a complete idiot, and they ask me questions sometimes, usually about how specific hands were played. I'm happy to share my honest thoughts with them.

But most of them are there to have a good time and get their action fix, or just relax and have some drinks with the guys while playing cards. They don't ask, and I don't offer. At best they're going to ignore me, at worst they're going to get irritated.

Stay quiet and enjoy it for what it is. If any of them get bit by the bug they’ll soon start reading books about how to play etc.

A clue that someone has been bitten by the bug is that the poor idiot will go and spend a few thousand on a set of chips when a $20 set of dice chips does the same job. What a moron!!! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Stay quiet and enjoy it for what it is. If any of them get bit by the bug they’ll soon start reading books about how to play etc.

A clue that someone has been bitten by the bug is that the poor idiot will go and spend a few thousand on a set of chips when a $20 set of dice chips does the same job. What a moron!!! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
As they say there's a sucker born every minute, who would pay thousands for little clay discs??? Wait a minute..

HEY!

I resemble that remark .......

Spider-Man.jpg

Have you gone back to this game?

I’d stick it out for the fun, the money seems irrelevant

There’s going to be some exploitable fish, calling stations, maniacs. Get in on it. They like family pots, get in on them from sb and BB. There is a threshold to make them fold preflop but it may not be practical with the limited stack size. They aren’t thinking in terms of blinds but dollars

What would you all do in this situation? Stay quiet, tighten up your range and let casual players be casual? Or would you find a somewhat discreet way to “tap the glass”?

The WORST player at the table is the guy that takes a fun game and turns it into a poker theory game. Don't be that player.

I think it kinda comes with the stakes and buy-in level. Even with experienced players, the stakes/buy-ins are low enough to drive looser play.

I’d leave it alone, unless they ask or seem totally clueless. (You can discreetly offer friendly suggestions to the clueless away from the table)

Over time, when the same guys seem to win over and over, they’ll hopefully start to show an interest in learning the game/strategy. In the meantime, the low stakes keeps it fun while they learn.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom