Once I was a bmxer (1 Viewer)

mike32

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
The first forum I ever became addicted to long before homepokertourney, chiptalk and pokerchipforum was vintagebmx.com. As a kid from approx. 1978 to 1982 I lived on my various bmx bikes. BMX tracks started sprouting up all over Michigan in the late 70's and my friends and myself would get driven to them by our parents on the weekends to race. I was a mediocre bmx racer at best and only got 1 of my required 5 first place finishes in a year as a novice racer that was required to become an expert. At least I was not a "Beginner"! Then cars, girls, team sports and life all started coming along, and it was no longer cool to be seen on a bmx bike so around the end of 9th grade I gave it all up.

Fast forward to around 2000 and a bunch of us 30 somethings discovered vintagebmx.com and now had some funds for bmx bikes old and new on eBay and other sites. The vintage bmx collecting community was (is) pretty huge with the right bikes and parts commanding big bucks on places like eBay. Plus many of us old guys started racing again, including me. Only problem is with things like the X games being popular the new tracks are much more "extreme" with huge jumps and us old guys bones are much more brittle. I did buy and sell several bikes and had some fun racing for several years up until the end of 2004. Of course I was playing poker all the while too, but old school games like stud and draw using (gasp) interlocking chips and paper cards. Now vintagebmx.com is pretty much dead (unfortunately like homepokertourney). i did manage to save a bike that I bought new around the end of 1979 and I still ride it once in a while. It is a fairly rare GJS "A" frame and fork pictured here. I also have a couple newer bikes that I can ride harder and not worry about, bmx bikes are fairly ineffecient and therefore good exercise. Anyone else who was or is into the bmx scene?

Attachments

• gjs2.jpg
    gjs2.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 97
Cool, didn't know this.

If you want, I can break out some paper cards Friday night for old times sake

I used to dabble with freestyling and quarterpipe / halfpipe till I realized that I wasn't very good at it :-( Had some sweet bikes - Haro, Redline, and Mongoose. This was mid-to-late 80s. I broke the frame on the Haro (the last bike I had) and that was it for me and ramps.

Tony Hawk killed the BMX scene :)

I did lots of biking on my Team Murray bike (LOL), then the skateboards came out and my friends and I switched over. At least we were outside moving around instead of inside plugged into an Atari 2600 (later Colecovision......later Commodore 64......later NES.......later Sega Genesis)

I never got into it as a sport, but I loved watching it...just never could afford a decent bike. But I sure loved me some early Nicole Kidman and "Rad".

bmx-bandits.jpg

The first forum I ever became addicted to long before homepokertourney, chiptalk and pokerchipforum was vintagebmx.com. As a kid from approx. 1978 to 1982 I lived on my various bmx bikes. BMX tracks started sprouting up all over Michigan in the late 70's and my friends and myself would get driven to them by our parents on the weekends to race. I was a mediocre bmx racer at best and only got 1 of my required 5 first place finishes in a year as a novice racer that was required to become an expert. At least I was not a "Beginner"! Then cars, girls, team sports and life all started coming along, and it was no longer cool to be seen on a bmx bike so around the end of 9th grade I gave it all up.

Fast forward to around 2000 and a bunch of us 30 somethings discovered vintagebmx.com and now had some funds for bmx bikes old and new on eBay and other sites. The vintage bmx collecting community was (is) pretty huge with the right bikes and parts commanding big bucks on places like eBay. Plus many of us old guys started racing again, including me. Only problem is with things like the X games being popular the new tracks are much more "extreme" with huge jumps and us old guys bones are much more brittle. I did buy and sell several bikes and had some fun racing for several years up until the end of 2004. Of course I was playing poker all the while too, but old school games like stud and draw using (gasp) interlocking chips and paper cards. Now vintagebmx.com is pretty much dead (unfortunately like homepokertourney). i did manage to save a bike that I bought new around the end of 1979 and I still ride it once in a while. It is a fairly rare GJS "A" frame and fork pictured here. I also have a couple newer bikes that I can ride harder and not worry about, bmx bikes are fairly ineffecient and therefore good exercise. Anyone else who was or is into the bmx scene?

Very, very cool Mike!! I dabbled a bit on BMX as well, until I had to be taken to the hospital and almost lost one my nuts, LOL!!! The handle bar hit it straight on when I fell trying a big jump...

I only bought one bike but I did love it. It was a Dyno Zone GT in Orange Thrust. Still own it, been storing it for years. Its hard to believe but its probably like 15 years old now!

Not mine but this is what it looks like. It's a very reddish orange.
img_7650_copy4_blowup.jpg

Totally Rad. I had a Kuwahara back then and sold to once I could drive. Last year I got the 26" Haro master to ride along with daughter.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom