Omaha starting hand question (1 Viewer)

After thinking about it, I suspect Hero needs a wider limping range at the expense of his raising range.

But I could be persuaded otherwise

I think your logic is sound... much depends on how wide the PF range is on your likely callers. And although it sounds pretty broad, the other thing in your favor is their relatively passivity PF. Otherwise, you'd have to fear being raised by an even better hand, PF, which you don't want - making you put in even more money while behind, and potentially dropping some of the caller that you want to build you pot in case you flop huge. Either way, you're still folding most flops.

hero's hand is doggy poop on this flop... instafold!!!
I was pretty sure it was. Really the only thing that had me confused is Doc Strange has a bright poker mind so I couldn't figure out what I was missing that it would be a question whether to fold or not.

jumping off from this, i wonder if playing marginal, but obviously better hands preflop is really a solid longterm strategy. considering that the name of the game in PLO (i know the above example is spread limit, but i'm thinking about PLO or NLO) is realizing equity, i wonder if we don't put ourselves in too many spots to be bet off our hand or putting ourselves in a WA/WB situation by getting to the flop with hands that are will often flop decent, but rarely great.

the above hand is not one of those imo. it can be played strongly on enough flops that seeing one is warranted. but let's say we have AsQc6s3d. that is certainly above the average hand that makes it to the flop in this game (as it is described), but how often will we actually make it to the river if we flop the best hand on a QJ5r flop? are we just calling or check-calling the whole way down hoping to dodge the entire deck? are we betting to get people to get two or three folds (an aggregate of 30%-ish equity)?

i'm just not convinced that it's as simple as playing all hands preflop which rate to be better than the average hand played in the game.

Here's the thing that makes me think playing super thin edges is a mistake: variance. BR management. ROR.

If they play that bad, unless you are super rolled, why not wait for the bigger edges. They'll come along.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom