Older table refurbish! (2 Viewers)

Bradley

High Hand
Reaction score
I have an older table. I am going to re do the felt and rail.
It had suited speed cloth. (Which I liked but don't know any better)

Is ssc good to go with again? What's your preference?

Also my rail is pretty beat up...

Do you recommend stripping the vinyl from the rail? Or maybe just going over top?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190121-144537.png
    Screenshot_20190121-144537.png
    1 MB · Views: 186
  • Screenshot_20190121-144546.png
    Screenshot_20190121-144546.png
    1,008 KB · Views: 192
  • 20190127_204151.jpg
    20190127_204151.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 164
My recommendation is, if you’re gonna refurbish it, don’t skimp and strip it all. Your results will be much clearer and you’ll most likely be happier.

As for playing surface, SSC is nice if that’s what you like. I don’t mind it but I know some people feel it’s a little rough on the hands. I have a custom Chanman gaming suede cloth on my table. Excellent product. It’s soft to the touch and cards slide across the table effortlessly, and you can make it look any way you want. I actually have a SSC look around the outside of my betting line. My suggestion would be to get samples of different cloths to see what you like. Contact @T_Chan for samples and questions. He is great to work with.

Good luck and post pics of the build and results. BTW welcome to PCF.

You live right next door to a great vendor that offers a very nice upgrade to SSC - check in with @T_Chan about his gaming suede. But if you're looking to keep the costs down, SSC is fine, IMHO you won't find a better material for the price without upgrading to a custom cloth.

If you're redoing the rail, you want to remove the vinyl at a minimum. I'd also recommend replacing the foam while the vinyl is off, but it really depends on how much use the table got and the condition of the foam. If it's showing any signs of wear I'd replace it.

I have an older table. I am going to re do the felt and rail.
It had suited speed cloth. (Which I liked but don't know any better)

Is ssc good to go with again? What's your preference?

Also my rail is pretty beat up...

Do you recommend stripping the vinyl from the rail? Or maybe just going over top?

If you're not happy with the vinyl, I wouldn't try anything other than stripping the rail to the wood and getting new foam and vinyl. I don't think you can get the stretch you need going over the top of the existing, and old foam just loses a lot of spring.

For a folding table, I think SSC is the right amount of investment. I wouldn't trust myself to get the alignment right on a custom printed gaming suede layout. It looks like you'll need new surface foam, too.

The rail padding seems in pretty good shape? Hard to tell without removing the vinyl.

The vinyl is a touch beat up tho.

Scraped up from loading it in to the back of a jeep wrangler.

Plus my cat got at it one night when I didn't put it away.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190128-091811.png
    Screenshot_20190128-091811.png
    857.7 KB · Views: 142
If you're not happy with the vinyl, I wouldn't try anything other than stripping the rail to the wood and getting new foam and vinyl. I don't think you can get the stretch you need going over the top of the existing, and old foam just loses a lot of spring.

For a folding table, I think SSC is the right amount of investment. I wouldn't trust myself to get the alignment right on a custom printed gaming suede layout. It looks like you'll need new surface foam, too.

This would be my concern as well, with a folding table.

This table has been worked on before.

I am removing all the staples right now. (Fun times)

Only the inner row will be under the playing surface... but I want them all out.

I'm going to fill them all with wood filler.

Attachments

• 20190128_124057.jpg
    20190128_124057.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 20190128_124049.jpg
    20190128_124049.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 109
After some more reading on the forum... this may be a "Barrington" table originally.

This table has been worked on before.

I am removing all the staples right now. (Fun times)

Only the inner row will be under the playing surface... but I want them all out.

I'm going to fill them all with wood filler.

It's a PITA to remove them but a good idea, especially in areas where you'll need to re-staple.

All the staples are out.

The table doesn't line up in the middle.

It is more pronounced on the edges where the rail will be... but I'm concerned the little lip may "catch cards"

Attachments

• 20190128_162654.jpg
    20190128_162654.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 20190128_162537.jpg
    20190128_162537.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 117
I'm wondering if I need to pull it all apart? Or will something like this on both sides of the underneath work?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190127-202714.png
    Screenshot_20190127-202714.png
    295.3 KB · Views: 115
All the staples are out.

It is more pronounced on the edges where the rail will be... but I'm concerned the little lip may "catch cards"

When you have foam on the table and pull the cloth taut over those edges into the fold, you end up rounding each corner a bit, forming a soft V shape. That should help with the card slide. If it's not enough, the unevenness is probably coming from the old hinges. Can you send a picture of what they look like? Are screws pulling out of any of them?

I ended up replacing the three separate hinges with one long piano hinge and screws that went as deep as I could manage. Through the hinge block and into the table surface itself.

All the staples are out.

Is the table warped or just misaligned? If it's not warped, I would correct it. If you're planning on keeping it as a fold up style table, I would replace the hinges with a piano hinge and re align. If you're converting it to a full time solid table, remove the hinge and add a simple bracket or spare piece of ply underneath, that should level it out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom