Old "slate" chips (1 Viewer)

pcmancini

Reaction score
Hello, long time lurker but never posted, with a couple of questions about some old chips. This set is 60-80 years old (maybe more) and was a possession of my father and grandfather. My dad used to call them "slate" chips. They have an almost pressed cardboard feel to them. My questions are:
  • What kind of chips are these.
  • What are they worth beyond sentimental value.
Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_4566.jpg
    IMG_4566.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4567.jpg
    IMG_4567.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4568.jpg
    IMG_4568.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4565.jpg
    IMG_4565.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 115
Sentimental value priceless!! real value not so much, for a rough idea of value you can find them on eBay.

Still an awesome family set!

Noiseless so you don’t disturb your sleeping wife. Of course your loud drunk buddies don’t understand this

They have an almost pressed cardboard feel to them.
That is in fact exactly what they are. They are pressed cardboard aka paper. They're rather old (early to mid twentieth century), and were marketed as "noiseless" chips so that people could play poker without disturbing people around them (or without the cops being able to hear them rattling around in the back room of a bar). They were also marketed as "unbreakable", since unlike clay chips of the time they can't chip or break when dropped on a hard floor.

They're not particularly valuable. They're widely available on eBay and don't fetch much of a high price. Here's some example pictures, from this listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Poker-...-Chips-Fleur-De-LIs-Original-Box/124283276836

1611087219891.png
1611087284683.png

That's an interesting and unusual carrying case you have them in! The case alone might add some value if you tried to sell them. I wouldn't want to guess at how much, but if you search eBay and watch for a while you'll probably get some idea of what unusual cases would go for.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom