Oiling Milled Chips before or after I put on an inlay? (1 Viewer)

Coyotesetter

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
That's the question. Am I better to mill, oil, then label. Or should I mill, label, then oil? I am about to undertake a fairly big project and I don't wan't to make any critical errors.

Thanks,
Jody

If you must oil at all, do it last. I would advise only oiling the edges. Stay away from the face of the chip.

Oil first. Then give the oil a ton of time to dry. Doing it after you risk getting it around the edge of the label.

Label. Wait at least a week. The vinyl does kind of cure. Then oil. If you do it to soon, the oil will seep around the edges of the label and could cause lift.

I think it depends on the type of sticker you are using.

Paper stickers - proceed with caution, whether laminated or not. I would oil first, then wait 1-2 weeks. Then put the paper sticker on, and wait at least another week before putting them into play.

Vinyl stickers - you can do it in either order. If labelling first, then be very careful how you oil, dutifully wiping any accidental excess off of the sticker face quickly. If oiling first, then would wait 1-2 weeks before putting stickers on. The latter is @Gear's specific recommendation to me if you choose to oil first.

I was just about to ask the same question. Although I generally don’t like oiled chips, now that I am using an Ultrasonic it definitely dries them out. My plan is to mill > ultrasonic > label > lightly oil edges only (let it spread from normal use to rest of chip.

the worst case scenario is to wait for my Gear labels to get made and then apply them only to have oil seep under them and kill them. Then have to wait and pay for an entire new set of labels.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom