Oiling majestic CC chips (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
have tried to find a consensus on how to oil china clays, I found a post from 2016 about compression oiling and have now tried that on 1 out of 3 racks(only got a small set of 300 chips for tournament play). the color looks amazing(they are not finished, just oiled them and now letting them dry) but was wondering if anyone would reccomend another way? I don't mind doing this for 300 chips but could be annoying if I decide to get a cash set or expand the tournament set. I also oiled the rack as I read that would make a little difference?

The “compression method” has been debunked quite a lot, so be careful with the amount of oil you use :)

I just cleaned my Majestics (400 chips) with a damp cloth and then went over them with a tiny bit of oil on a soft piece of fabric.

Colors pop right away :)

The “compression method” has been debunked quite a lot, so be careful with the amount of oil you use :)

I just cleaned my Majestics (400 chips) with a damp cloth and then went over them with a tiny bit of oil on a soft piece of fabric.

yeah I cleaned them when I got them last thursday but have been hesitant to oil them as I didnt know how. Now I did 1 rack, 1 barrel of each denom to see the difference and gosh the black just pops. also makes the 5k's look decent with the deep brown. I just use a bit of oil on a microfiber cloth that you usually use for dust cleaning(I used a completely new one. Applied a bit of preassure but probably not as much as the compression oiling would say. now they are air drying next to my computer.

Compression on CC is not really that necessary. I would just do a drop or two of oil on a microfiber cloth, hold a barrel between your finger and thumb, and wipe the edge up and down while spinning it. Then roll the whole barrel in the cloth to spread out the distribution. After this, some of the oil will have seeped onto the faces, so just give all the faces a quick wipe and that should be enough. They will look nearly identical to compression oiled chips a few days after fully drying and being racked.

Some people believe in compression oiling CCs, some don't. I'm a believer, because I have done it myself. I think if you're working with non-labeled chips, and have plenty of time (like 1-2 weeks), you don't have to be as careful with the amount of oil you use as opposed to working with labeled chips.

I was very liberal with my use of oil, because my experience has been that the CC chalkiness comes back if you don't use a lot of oil and really compress it into the chips. I have seen it happen. The chalkiness doesn't come back with the chips that I oiled liberally.

Also, mineral oil doesn't "air dry" or evaporate. I had to research this myself to believe it, but it's true. The oil is absorbed into the paper towels and presumably into the chip itself, as well. That's why you need to wipe off any residual oil that remains on the chip after a few days resting on the paper towels.

If I had expensive clay chips, I would be conservative with my use of oil. But with CCs, there is no harm in oiling the hell out of those things IMO.

Some people believe in compression oiling CCs, some don't. I'm a believer, because I have done it myself. I think if you're working with non-labeled chips, and have plenty of time (like 1-2 weeks), you don't have to be as careful with the amount of oil you use as opposed to working with labeled chips.

I was very liberal with my use of oil, because my experience has been that the CC chalkiness comes back if you don't use a lot of oil and really compress it into the chips. I have seen it happen. The chalkiness doesn't come back with the chips that I oiled liberally.

Also, mineral oil doesn't "air dry" or evaporate. I had to research this myself to believe it, but it's true. The oil is absorbed into the paper towels and presumably into the chip itself, as well. That's why you need to wipe off any residual oil that remains on the chip after a few days resting on the paper towels.

If I had expensive clay chips, I would be conservative with my use of oil. But with CCs, there is no harm in oiling the hell out of those things IMO.

alright! yeah they are labeled and will let the oil absorb for 24 hours. will then have something to compare to as I have 3 barrels of each denom and oiled one barrel of each to see the difference, will wipe of any excess oil left on the chips tomorrow.

In both cases the chip on the right had acrylic applied. Those chips are slightly shinier than the prestine untouched chips, but that will correct with shuffling/regular use.

Another implication of this experiment is that the application of oil to the rolling edge is likely vastly inferior to the simple,fast application of acrylic. The acrylic actually protects the chip, won't dry out, and looks better. It gives the rolling edge far more "pop", or a candied appearance. And you apply it in the exact same manner, and allow them to dry for 5 minutes before they go back into the rack.
IMG_20210109_085427814_MP.jpg
IMG_20210109_085511036_HDR.jpg

I just bought a 500 piece set of Apache Royal China Clays. They arrived today. Love em' but they feel dry and chalky. As brand new chips will oiling remove dry feel and make the colors pop? Or should I only oil after they've been played and broken-in?

-Doug

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom