Oiling chips

Discussion in 'Poker Chip Maintenance' started by colter ripton, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Oct 18, 2017 at 1:28 PM
    Trihonda

Trihonda Moderator

United States
    Well, then advocate for oiling done right, since what you’re describing is oiling done wrong. No reason to advocate against oiling in general. ;)

upNdown likes this.
  2. Oct 18, 2017 at 1:34 PM
    Stibnite

Stibnite Pair

United States
    Having now used so many methods on Oiling chips, and later having oiled over 10,000 chips of various types, and hearing the stories of everyone who has used my compression oiling method, I'm going to have to call this one out.

If you found chips with oiling dripping off them, then that means the seller oiled them that very day, maybe even just before showing them to you, and failed to wipe them off at all.

Otherwise, a few hours in the air, or following being wiped off, that oily appearance will be gone and left with nothing but a clean look. After a few days, any form of glossy shine will certainly be gone even if left heavily wet. Oil doesn't hang around on the outer surface of the chips. It is meant to breach into the microscopic pores of the chip and seal it off. It dries quickly. Even the act of handling the chips will result in most of the surface oils being absorbed or wiped away even if freshly applied.

I'm think your experience with that seller just left a sour taste in your mouth and has skewed your understanding of proper chip oiling--I'm sure I would have thought the exact same thing if I witnessed that before doing my own experimentation. That's just my opinion based on my now experience. As for oiling what I own and play with, I certainly wouldn't have continued doing it if I didn't get such widely popular and positive results.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  3. Dec 4, 2017 at 11:28 PM
    Hobbyphilic

Hobbyphilic Pair

United States
    I agree with above posts. I am pretty sure many people knew about this before I did, but don't over-oil your chips. It kind of yellows the inlay. New info to me. Here is a video, kind of hard to see.