Oiling chips (1 Viewer)

I agree. I've even oiled chips and been pleased with the results. But I see enough pictures posted of wet looking shiny chips that I continue to beat this horse.

Well, then advocate for oiling done right, since what you’re describing is oiling done wrong. No reason to advocate against oiling in general. ;)

Regarding resale I can only speak for myself. When an ad says they’ve been oiled, I usually move on. Oiling can be done in a way that doesn’t advesly affect the chips but not everyone oils the same way. I’ve seen chips wet with oil and in some cases with hair stuck to them! If I can see the oil in little puddles on the chip there is zero chance I’d be happy owning them. It is a general rule of thumb to leave customizing anything up to the buyer. You increase your potential buyers that way. As a buyer, you can always choose to oil yoir chips but you can’t undo an oiling (probably).

Having now used so many methods on Oiling chips, and later having oiled over 10,000 chips of various types, and hearing the stories of everyone who has used my compression oiling method, I'm going to have to call this one out.

If you found chips with oiling dripping off them, then that means the seller oiled them that very day, maybe even just before showing them to you, and failed to wipe them off at all.

Otherwise, a few hours in the air, or following being wiped off, that oily appearance will be gone and left with nothing but a clean look. After a few days, any form of glossy shine will certainly be gone even if left heavily wet. Oil doesn't hang around on the outer surface of the chips. It is meant to breach into the microscopic pores of the chip and seal it off. It dries quickly. Even the act of handling the chips will result in most of the surface oils being absorbed or wiped away even if freshly applied.

I'm think your experience with that seller just left a sour taste in your mouth and has skewed your understanding of proper chip oiling--I'm sure I would have thought the exact same thing if I witnessed that before doing my own experimentation. That's just my opinion based on my now experience. As for oiling what I own and play with, I certainly wouldn't have continued doing it if I didn't get such widely popular and positive results.

Last edited:
I agree with above posts. I am pretty sure many people knew about this before I did, but don't over-oil your chips. It kind of yellows the inlay. New info to me. Here is a video, kind of hard to see.

Bump, 'cause judgement day is approaching for me.
General consensus (for inlayed CPCs) is LIGHT oiling, certainly after cleaning, mainly on the rolling edges, secondarily on faces, avoiding the inlays if possible.
Please define light: HOW MUCH oil exactly on the micro-fibre towel or shoe-shine applicator, per barrel/rack?

Bump, 'cause judgement day is approaching for me.
General consensus (for inlayed CPCs) is LIGHT oiling, certainly after cleaning, mainly on the rolling edges, secondarily on faces, avoiding the inlays if possible.
Please define light: HOW MUCH oil exactly on the micro-fibre towel or shoe-shine applicator, per barrel/rack?

I wouldn't over think it. Clean off any factory dust with a wet cloth. Once the chips dry add some mineral oil to your cloth and wipe some on the chips. A little goes a long way so do a barrel and see what you think.

The risk of over oiling isn't a big deal as the oil will dissipate over time and you can for the most part wipe off any excess. It is such a subjective thing. In general you don't need much to get the colors to pop. Once you do a few chips you will get a feel for what you think looks good.

Thanks. I 'm mostly worried about the oil getting under the labels. Would you wipe the faces with a dry towel right after oiling each barrel, or each rack, or after having oiled all of them?

After oiling I set them out on a cloth overnight with each chip not touching any others, then wipe off any excess oil in the morning and re-rack them.

Thanks. I 'm mostly worried about the oil getting under the labels. Would you wipe the faces with a dry towel right after oiling each barrel, or each rack, or after having oiled all of them?
I have never oiled CPC specifically but I am pretty sure they will be fine.

All you need is a small amount of oil. Think about how your fingers feel when eating fries....about like that. Its not an oil bath.

^^This. Pretty much if you can actually ~see~ any oil (vs just seeing a light sheen on the chip), it's too much. A drop or two of oil dispersed on a small cloth is plenty.

20180630_134427.jpg

This was all I used to cover 670 cpc’s... about a quarter of a bottle.

C02ED934-EA40-4DCA-806E-91555EE7EE40.jpeg

Used the compression method with a microfiber cloth. Doesn’t seem like a lot but I probably could have used less.

The only thing I did extra was wipe the inlays immediately after each chip was oiled.

Years ago, I oiled 1000 Pharaoh's Club chips using the shoe polish applicator method and used about 50% of what you show used there. And that was 2000 dabs. :)

It makes them oily...

If I knew you better I’d call you an ass ;)

My question should be: does the oil ruin the stamp at all. I know I could test but I don’t want to ruin a stamp if it’s been tried before.

If I knew you better I’d call you an ass ;)

My question should be: does the oil ruin the stamp at all. I know I could test but I don’t want to ruin a stamp if it’s been tried before.

He is not wrong :)

Honestly though there is no way a bit of oil will damage hot stamps. It is not going to be any more harsh than normal wear and tear and the natural oil on people's hands.

plain jane mineral oil is not corrosive.

Very cool. I toy with the idea of some CPC hotstamps every now and then. Nothing big; 300 chips for a 10-seat tourney. Maybe in 2019...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom