Oiling chips: when is it appropriate? (1 Viewer)

superchromix

Full House
Reaction score
I feel like something should be said about oiling chips.

Some chips need a bit of oil. New CPCs seem to take oil on their edges quite well. Very old / worn Paulsons brighten up dramatically with some oil. Oil helps older BCCs lose that "parched" look.

*HOWEVER*, most chips don't need any oil at all. I recently saw a for sale thread offering Paulson Home Series chips on the suits mold, in which the chips are literally glistening with oil. This made me sad. Since those chips are hotstamps, and probably wouldn't handle the ultrasonic cleaner very well, the poor chips will never lose that oily look.

I've read various opinions in these forums about the appropriate use of oil. I've heard of people using everything from baby oil to machine oil (tip: never use either!). There is a thread called "Oiling done right" which discusses a method for oiling China Clay chips. I don't think the same approach would be appropriate for Paulsons.

TL;DR: New chippers should know: most chips don't need oil. Thoughts?

New chipper here:) I have never oiled any chips! So you think it is a good idea to oil new china clay chips? What oil is appropriate? Olive oil?

I really have no idea so any suggestions from experienced would be welcome!

New ASM/CPC chips need to be oiled. Paulsons after an ultrasonic bath or cleaning usually need oil to bring them back to life. Some BCC that exhibt the crackling effect will benefit as well. And some older dried out clay chips can benefit from oil as well to restore their past glory. Anything else is questionable. I would never oil CC's or any plastic chip or new Paulsons

I only use Mineral Oil sparingly, only a dab spread over the edges of a barrel and a slight/light wipe of the outer rim of the face, never on the inlay if possible.

(this stuff)

ea55727d-4494-4639-8fd6-748befadc6c5_1.90c8d488ba4cb1615a1f29b4b4c2f0d4.jpeg

All CPCs I have gotten so far were immediately oiled, and the same is going to happen to any CPCs to come. Factory dust makes them look ugly.
The only exception are chips I pass on to others, leaving the decision whether to oil or not to them.

None of the Paulsons I got so far really looked like they'd need any oiling. After cleaning the gunk off, they still had vivid colors and all.

Oiling any kind of plastic doesn't make any sense to me - I mean, the whole point of using oil is to seal that porous material clay chips are made of. Plastic isn't porous, so zero need for any sealing.

I feel like something should be said about oiling chips.

Some chips need a bit of oil. New CPCs seem to take oil on their edges quite well. Very old / worn Paulsons brighten up dramatically with some oil. Oil helps older BCCs lose that "parched" look.

*HOWEVER*, most chips don't need any oil at all. I recently saw a for sale thread offering Paulson Home Series chips on the suits mold, in which the chips are literally glistening with oil. This made me sad. Since those chips are hotstamps, and probably wouldn't handle the ultrasonic cleaner very well, the poor chips will never lose that oily look.

I've read various opinions in these forums about the appropriate use of oil. I've heard of people using everything from baby oil to machine oil (tip: never use either!). There is a thread called "Oiling done right" which discusses a method for oiling China Clay chips. I don't think the same approach would be appropriate for Paulsons.

TL;DR: New chippers should know: most chips don't need oil. Thoughts?
AMEN!

Seriously now, new CPCs, after having been wiped clean of their dust with a soft damp cloth, will benefit (color-wise) from some light, gentle oiling (with paraffin oil,- Europeans beware of the term "mineral") of the barrel edges and outer rim of the face.
Defining "light" is the fine-tuning question, practically how much oil and how to best apply it on a micro-fiber soft cloth, and how many edges and outer faces an oiled patch of the cloth is supposed to oil.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom