Oiling Chips Done Right

TX_Golf_N_Poker

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this = food grade mineral oil?
Definitely. Since It's sold as a laxative. And that's where I find it in my grocery store - in the drug aisle. I starting using it years ago to oil my wooden cutting boards. So needs to be food safe.

BTW it's also dirt cheap. Less than $2 for a 12-16 oz bottle.

jpietrella

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely. Since It's sold as a laxative. And that's where I find it in my grocery store - in the drug aisle. I starting using it years ago to oil my wooden cutting boards. So needs to be food safe.
Cool, yep. I've got some food grade mineral oil that I use for some woodworking projects, just wanted to be sure it was the same thing before I crossed it off the list.

allforcharity

Royal Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You probably need to drink at least 1-2 tablespoons of the stuff to get a short term laxative effect. Since you will only be using a fraction of that much for your chips, you can't possibly accidentally ingest enough from licking your fingers. Just don't mix it up with your liquor.

Himewad

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got about 4 racks done. Still need to wipe off the excess on the top rack, as these are definitely over-oiled at this point. But they started off pretty thirsty (bottom rack).

Chips.jpeg

Zajac

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I tried swipe and wipe method and they looked good...but now a couple weeks later they look like the oil faded away already

Attachments

• oil pic.jpg
    oil pic.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 60

TX_Golf_N_Poker

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried swipe and wipe method and they looked good...but now a couple weeks later they look like the oil faded away already
Did you oil them all at the same time? Why does the barrel on the right look so much worse than the other two?

Zajac

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Did you oil them all at the same time? Why does the barrel on the right look so much worse than the other two?
thats the before and after of when I oiled the one and only time. I did them all at same time...sorry picture is confusing/misleading....picture was to show oil worked well...but now seems to be fading

Himewad

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have cleaned and oiled well over 1000 Royal china clay chips. On the pink chips that I added at a later time, I kind of went quick on the whole process, and I noticed that the white chalkiness came back on them. I think that in order to make this NOT happen, you need to give them a good soak in warm soapy water, wipe them down, and then give them a good oiling. Heavier than you would do with clay chips. When I didn't try to cut corners, the chalkiness didn't come back.

BearMetal

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luckily the Royals were my guinea pig; I used waaay too much oil, but they actually soaked them up! I checked a few weeks back on them b/c they needed a good fondling to remind them that they're still loved (even among the paulsons) and their colors were still rich and poppin'.

fishsaybloop

Straight
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Findings from my recent oiling study, I tried out a few different oiling techniques (thanks to the pioneers @Stibnite, @Trihonda, @Taghkanic, @Poker Zombie). Prob don’t have the technique down right, but think I’ll be sticking with oil and water for now to max out effort and effectiveness.

Photos are taken a week after oiling.

C0F4D4B9-7E24-4D88-8E02-5835FC3678AA.jpeg

DMack

Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Findings from my recent oiling study, I tried out a few different oiling techniques (thanks to the pioneers @Stibnite, @Trihonda, @Taghkanic, @Poker Zombie). Prob don’t have the technique down right, but think I’ll be sticking with oil and water for now to max out effort and effectiveness.

Photos are taken a week after oiling.

View attachment 704424
Pretty much what I’ve found over the years after doing it with thousands of chips. I primarily do oil and water, unless the chips are extra special. Then I go arthritis mode and do compression.

EvelcyclopS

High Hand
Reaction score
Pretty sure most (all?) current versions of Dawn contain Oxi, which will definitely attack most chip dyes -- and likely none-too-good for ASM/CPC chip material, either -- especially with long soak times.

Didn't use to be that way. We have used Dawn at work for years to cleanse really oily or filthy, matted dog hair during dog baths. But it's almost impossible to find a version these days without Oxi, which we prefer to use since Oxi is an eye irritant.
Pretty sure most (all?) current versions of Dawn contain Oxi, which will definitely attack most chip dyes -- and likely none-too-good for ASM/CPC chip material, either -- especially with long soak times.

Didn't use to be that way. We have used Dawn at work for years to cleanse really oily or filthy, matted dog hair during dog baths. But it's almost impossible to find a version these days without Oxi, which we prefer to use since Oxi is an eye irritant.
Not quite sure what you mean by ‘oxi’, that’s not a chemical name. If you mean an active oxygen species, such as bleach, there isn’t a significant source of it in the product to affect anything. It’s not the reason for irritating eyes in any case (I’m a surfactants expert, could go to a lot of detail here but I won’t). Most of dawn ingredients would bring a tear to the eye (pardon the pun). Don’t use it as shampoo unless some poor creatures got caught in an oil slick.

Top Bottom