Oiling brand new rhc? (1 Viewer)

AlwaysDefend

Two Pair
Reaction score
Just a query

I've got a horseshoe Cinci set and approx 400 of the chips are uncirculated. What do you think about oiling the set? Is it worth it? Do I need to oil brand new chips? I'd be keen to know your thoughts as I have the first game coming up next week.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm on the other side of this debate -- in the pro-oil camp. But a very light amount for new Paulsons.

A light layer on the edges of barrels for new chips. Why not put a layer of protection into the clay before people's hands start touching them. Use a rag, but barely damp with mineral oil. Mineral oil does not go rancid, like other food/vegetable based oils. The rag will last for months for lightly oiling other chips and re-oiling edges.

I'm on the other side of this debate -- in the pro-oil camp. But a very light amount for new Paulsons.

A light layer on the edges of barrels for new chips. Why not put a layer of protection into the clay before people's hands start touching them. Use a rag, but barely damp with mineral oil. Mineral oil does not go rancid, like other food/vegetable based oils. The rag will last for months for lightly oiling other chips and re-oiling edges.
I don’t think I’ve heard of oil used to protect chips. I’d imagine mint Paulsons could be used several times a month for years in normal home game without much noticeable wear. Do you think it protects against flea bites or skin oil?

I don’t think I’ve heard of oil used to protect chips. I’d imagine mint Paulsons could be used several times a month for years in normal home game without much noticeable wear. Do you think it protects against flea bites or skin oil?

It definitely won't protect against physical damage. It likely only provides a little protection in that skin oil, dirt, grease, and other contaminants (i.e. anything that contributes to 'hooker juice') will take longer to adhere to the chip surface, and possibly may be easier to wipe off.

I recommend oiling even mint clay chips because it tends to intensify the colours when you do a side-by-side comparison. And it's not really much work.

I still prefer the hands on method compared to the oil/water dump. I did see a difference when other people posted pictures of chips done both ways, and I preferred the compression oiled product.

skin oil?
skin oil, potato chip oil, chocolate candy, other food oils on hands, etc. if clay chips can soak up mineral oil, they can can soak up other food/skin oils. Why not fill some of the pores of the clay with a neutral mineral oil first. Of course this is being really picky, and most chip shuffling/handling in home games won't be getting chips noticeably dirty (hopefully).

Every clay chip we own, even China clay, new/used doesn't matter always gets oiled.. the colors are much more vibrant, but more importantly as said previously seal the pores of the chip to keep dirt and oils out... wear on home game chips other than abuse is rarely an issue... but I have seen new chips get funky quickly... it's very difficult to get players to wash their hands and not eat at the table... it's a tough battle for many of us to get people to understand that they are not just chips, they are an investment! In my opinion light oil compression method 48 hours/ flip at 24 hours. Quick dry with a towel and rackem!!

Unpopular opinion: I hate over oiled chips. I feel like I am handling little sloppy cheeseburgers. When I leave a poker game with over oiled chips I feel like I just left McDobalds and need a shower.

Whatever turns u on? Not a huge fan of oiled chips. Especially as mentioned in the OP of oiling “brand new” RHC chips. However, have seen a nice pop (and integration of color) on some solid Paulson solids and some CC chips.

Go easy on the oil, I had overoiled my cash set and had to give a rag to all the players as they were wiping off the excess oil on the chip... It was funny:ROFL: :ROFLMAO: but kind of sucked.:(

I don’t think I’ve heard of oil used to protect chips.
I've been preaching it for years, for all of the reasons cited above by @AWenger.

But a very little amount of mineral oil goes a very long way. Over-oiled chips are far worse than non-oiled, but if applied properly, oiled chips offer better protected from unwanted organic contaminates and often show off their colors better.

I've been preaching it for years, for all of the reasons cited above by @AWenger.

But a very little amount of mineral oil goes a very long way. Over-oiled chips are far worse than non-oiled, but if applied properly, oiled chips offer better protected from unwanted organic contaminates and often show off their colors better.
Ok, well if @BGinGA is talking about chips (or anything poker related) I am listening!

Personnaly, i slighly oil only the side on mint RHC, just to make the colors pop. I have done this on my Jack 25p, 100p and 500p.

Sorry, new here. Does oiling protect the chip from grime/chipping? or does it just make them look better?

Newbie question here, completed a basic cleaning with dish soap, warm water and a battery toothbrush on my newly acquired Cinci HS. Is it mandatory to oil them or a preference for asthetics?

Last edited:
I buy into the theory that oil might help protect chips (like scotch guard on furniture) or make then easier to clean. But, how much protection do home chips need, and how hard is it to clean them?
I say leave your mint Paulsons as they are.
Older, fading Paulsons can benefit from oiling. I’ve gotten chips that were cleaned with an ultrasonic and or other detergents, that needed oil. But mint Paulsons? I say leave them be, as god intended.

If at all possible I prefer the natural oil from hands and shuffling/handling. I’ve had some less than stellar results with a tiny amount of mineral that i’ve used on a couple of sets.

@upNdown totally agree that home chips likely wont get grimy. I left all uncirc HS as is, but did clean up the used $1s that I got. I’m planning on leaving them unoiled but wanted to get feedback from the community.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom