Oiled Paulsons sticky? (1 Viewer)

EpicAS

Pair
Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia (US Address Available)
Hi folks,
I recently gave my newly acquired Paulsons chips a nice coat of oil and the colours are event more vibrant now. BUT… i have a “problem”. As the title says, some of them are now quite sticky. Does anyone else have this problem?

These are the types of chips I have and the result of being oiled:
HSI $5 primaries = great before and great after oil.
HS Cleveland $100 primaries = great before and great after oil.
Jack Cincinnati $25 primaries = ok before, but STICKY now after oil.

Only time I have experienced oiled chips that felt sticky were because there was too much oil used. Maybe it's worth wiping off the chips with a dry rag or towel to suck up any excess.

The amount of oil that's needed is actually very small. I'm still on my first bottle and that's after having oiled probably 40k chips.

[EDIT] - Did you use normal mineral oil or something else? The stickiness might be from the oil you were using. (???)

Last edited:
Yeah, too much oil. You can probably put them in a bathroom sink, 1 rack at a time. Fill the sink and swirl them around in the sink to rinse them. Then dry them with a towel and lay them on a fresh towel to dry. Be careful to use cold or mildly warm water. Not hot.

Not sure how much oil you used but a half cap of mineral oil is good for like 100-200 chips for me usually.

[EDIT] - Did you use normal mineral oil or something else? The stickiness might be from the oil you were using. (???)
Yeah I used mineral oil.

And thanks for the responses! I tried rinsing a few and wiping down and they are much better.

This is odd because the horseshoe Cincinnati and HSI chips were perfectly fine (I used the same cloth without adding any extra oil).

^^ This ^^

Common mistake to over-oil chips after cleaning.
Some chips take oil well (BCC, ASM, ultrasonic cleaned or with oxi) other don't.

Worst case is over-oiling shaped inlays, have the oil seep in the inlay (paper) and ruin the inlay.
ALWAYS air dry after oiling and try the water - oil approach like @Trihonda mentioned

Less is more here...

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom