Oil filled inlays, new members can read here for pointers (1 Viewer)

FordPickup92

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have any pointers ideas suggestions, for keeping oil from spreading under the inlays? It doesn't matter how lightly we oil them, some of them just come out totally saturated.....
Do they need to dry differently?

Heres one example for reference
15691735762264136851303321695661.jpg

2. If you must oil the faces, wipe the area between the mold indentation and the edge. Avoid oiling the edge of the inlay.
We've been doing that, still getting this result

Guess well have to try only oiling the edges
Thanks guys

We've been doing that, still getting this result

Guess well have to try only oiling the edges
Thanks guys
Check the ones you haven’t oiled yet for any of this same slight discoloration. If you’re doing 2) and it’s still happening my guess is a previous owner did the damage and it just dried out over time but once it gets underneath the inlay it makes it 100x more prone to happen again.

Yes and use a very weeny teeny amount.
And yes this should be written on every chip box, always use less oil thank you think you’d need.

What I felt most confused about was that some of the other's we've previously done we oiled the entire chip including the face and didnt see these results

Check the ones you haven’t oiled yet for any of this same slight discoloration. If you’re doing 2) and it’s still happening my guess is a previous owner did the damage and it just dried out over time but once it gets underneath the inlay it makes it 100x more prone to happen again.
This batch did appear to have previous oil staining

I’ve been using the oil+water method with my PCAs and don’t seem to be having this problem.

This batch did appear to have previous oil staining
That’s 100% why then and why plenty of chips you could (no one do it though :tup: ) dunk a chip into bowl of oil and it wouldn’t happen if the seal wasn’t already damaged.

Once the seals broken it’s just so porous the inlay will suck in any liquid so you’ll have to do the rolling edges only approach but that should work just as well

And shaped inlays seem to be more prone to this happening...just more area for the oil to seep under.

I’ve seen a lot of pics of PCA fiddy centers with this stain as well.

Oil saturation is pretty common for Paulson's older shaped inlays, and much more likely to occur than with round inlays.

Best bet is to not oil them at all, followed by a light finger rub on the rolling edges immediately wiped down with a fresh cloth that contains no oil.

I thought I read in another thread that oil can also protect chips from damage. Is there any truth to that?

The over oiling of chips on this forum is one of my biggest frustrations.

If you must oil, all you need is a very little amount on a cloth to wipe down the edges. Then take a dry cloth and remove any excess. Please don’t ruin nice chips by getting oil under the inlays!

I don't oil any of my Paulson's for fear of getting oil under the inlays. But if you have to, at most a light touch on the edges only.

Some people swear by using baby oil gel. I think OP's problem was the exact reason...

I've tried it on a few chips but not on any mint inlaid Paulsons.

It is really too bad that people can do whatever they want with their chips...over oiling, labeling, milling, inlay replacement, etc. are leading to the destruction of way too many chips lately.

Maybe I'm an old man on his porch yelling at people to stay off the grass, but it's getting out of hand.

Meh...do whatever though, I'm heading back to the porch.

Some people swear by using baby oil gel. I think OP's problem was the exact reason...

I've tried it on a few chips but not on any mint inlaid Paulsons.
Have never used gel
Mineral oil only

What were your results with the chips you tried?

Last edited:
It is really too bad that people can do whatever they want with their chips...over oiling, labeling, milling, inlay replacement, etc. are leading to the destruction of way too many chips lately.

Maybe I'm an old man on his porch yelling at people to stay off the grass, but it's getting out of hand.

Meh...do whatever though, I'm heading back to the porch.
grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud10.jpg

The over oiling of chips on this forum is one of my biggest frustrations.

If you must oil, all you need is a very little amount on a cloth to wipe down the edges. Then take a dry cloth and remove any excess. Please don’t ruin nice chips by getting oil under the inlays!
“Very little amount” means 3-4 drops for a 1000 chip set. Seriously.

Have never used gel
Mineral oil only

What were your results with the chips you tried?

They look much nicer now! :) I only tried it on a few inlaid chips (BCCs and TRKs) and no sign of oil in the inlays. Mind you that was a while ago and I can't even remember if I oiled the faces or not... I think I did... lol

I haven't tried any other method so my advice probably isn't the best. Just thought I would chime in if it happened to prevent any more disasters. Gel is what was recommended to me anyways...

Actually I found a post about it here:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/oiling-cpcs-with-inlay-issue.30996/#post-569407

They look much nicer now! :) I only tried it on a few inlaid chips (BCCs and TRKs) and no sign of oil in the inlays. Mind you that was a while ago and I can't even remember if I oiled the faces or not... I think I did... lol

I haven't tried any other method so my advice probably isn't the best. Just thought I would chime in if it happened to prevent any more disasters. Gel is what was recommended to me anyways...

Actually I found a post about it here:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/oiling-cpcs-with-inlay-issue.30996/#post-569407
Okay thanks for the info! :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom