Oil CPC color samples? (1 Viewer)

Nex

Flush
Reaction score
Like the title says...

I have a set of CPC color samples and am working on a design. I definitely plan to oil the final outcome.

Should I oil my color samples or not? (To judge colors better for the design)
Or would it make actual sense to get a 2nd color sample set to have one oiled and one dry?

I don't think I have the means to fully clean the chips of the oil again, and I only have one color sample set, so yeah.

I always read CPCs don't change as much as other manufacturers' chips after oiling (I'd oil primarily to seal/protect them), so I wasn't sure if it would be worth it for designing purposes already.
Guess I'll oil them then.

I always read CPCs don't change as much as other manufacturers' chips after oiling (I'd oil primarily to seal/protect them), so I wasn't sure if it would be worth it for designing purposes already.

Oiling cpc's help tremendously

Attachments

• 20170622_125724.jpg
    20170622_125724.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 164
That's not correct, don't believe everything you read :) :)

My recommendation from what I experienced with color samples, samples of other's customs as well as the outcome of my own customs:

1. CLEAN the samples! (I did not and ended with much 'warmer' colors especially for the light blue and white in my first digital color palette!)

The rest is pretty much straight forward, given that you plan to oil your customs:
2a. IF evaluating colors by stacking samples and looking at the rims: oiling strongly recommended
2b. IF evaluating colors laying the samples flat on the table and looking at the chip faces: very marginal benefit oiling them (imho) as the faces don't change much. Though oiled faces tend to look a little bit more saturated/vivid, I believe that is caused by the changed reflectivity of the surface and our perception is fooled by that.

If you don't oil your customs and don't put them into play (both not recommended): Don't oil your samples, keep them dry, use gloves when handling them. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom