Official WTF spider thread (2 Viewers)

I do feel like we bonded though, now that I know what your boots smell like...
Rest easily, I no longer work in that environment, with a change of jobs I now smell like metal all the time. Gotta love working in a machine shop. However, I will gladly accept this bonding step in our acquaintance!

It is the itzy bitzy brown spiders I worry about here in Texas. You might know them as brown recluse spiders and they are common as $%%#. I could find one in minutes at my old house. Our new house has all sorts of built into the walls insect controls. :)

Well and the black widows. Not at all common, but they are nasty buggers.

"Best" story - - - One of my players, a nice lady, is in the guest bathroom at the old house. A scorpion falls out of the vent and into her underware while she is sitting. Oh my goodness, her scream could be heard for miles. I think she still blames me all these years later. < no she didn't get stung. And our scorpions aren't dangerous anyway. but they looks like serious business! >

DrStrange

Yeah, scorpions in the bathroom can be a little unnerving, given the usual compromised situation in such settings. Shortly after moving to Georgia from the great white north, I was greeted with a horror-movie shriek when the SO found a couple of scorpions having a dance party in the shower just as she was about to step in.

Later that day I discovered a momma black widow under the garage shelving -- damn thing literally attacked a pencil defending her babies. Just glad it wasn't my finger.

Black widows are horrible in our area, Ben has been bit a few times, the skin at the site of the bite has died and periodically falls off

Last edited:
My coworker collects tarantulas and exotic spiders, he says he thinks this is a Colombian baboon *shrugs* never heard of it lol

OBT is always what I've always referred to it as. I was never good with scientific names.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterinochilus_murinus

I also had a green bottle blue, super cool colors and would stay out in the open most of the time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenbottle_blue_tarantula

20160611_212843.jpg

OBT is always what I've always referred to it as. I was never good with scientific names.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterinochilus_murinus

I also had a green bottle blue, super cool colors and would stay out in the open most of the time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenbottle_blue_tarantula

View attachment 444640
I think my coworker had one of those also! Hes obsessed with his, he had many different species and even bred at one point :nailbite:
They're beautiful to me, from a distance. But he said the same thing, most were super chill and could be out in the open and generally friendly

"GENERALLY FRIENDLY"......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

:cautious:

fuck that willy wonka ass spider!! hells NO!

Black widows are horrible in our area, Ben has been bit a few times, the skin at the site of the bite has died and periodically falls off

I must ask....how recent are the bites? Any spread? You mean the skin is turning black and falling off? Any antibiotics on board?

Last edited:
When I was about ten, my cousins and sisters and I were walking around a small lake in Northern Wisconsin. We came to a wet area thick with cattails, and saw the biggest baddest round-bodied spider I had ever seen. (Big to a pre-teen city girl, anyhow.) My oldest cousin had his rifle with him, and I asked to use it. I think it was a .22 rifle, but that was a long time ago. I blasted that sucker into smithereens from about six feet away. That was the only living thing I've ever shot.

Love living in the upper midwest with winters that keep the creepy crawlies at a somewhat reasonable size.

I must ask....how recent are the bites? Any spread? You mean the skin is turning black and falling off? Any antibiotics on board?
The bites are several years old. The skin is normal color. It just turns ashy and falls off.

Omg at some of the nasty fuckers itt. That’s one of the best things about living in Sweden; basically no animals that can kill or barely even freak you out (a bear might do the trick I guess but at least no hand sized spiders or deadly snakes).

Omg at some of the nasty fuckers itt. That’s one of the best things about living in Sweden; basically no animals that can kill or barely even freak you out (a bear might do the trick I guess but at least no hand sized spiders or deadly snakes).
Really, none?

Really, none?

Well, the freak-you-out part is obviously subjective. Myself I fear wasps, but I’m told I’m just being ridiculous. Other than that just tiny bugs, nothing too venomous (wasps, vipers, bees), a few bears and wolves that will stay away from humans 99 %. Pretty darn safe :)

Well, the freak-you-out part is obviously subjective. Myself I fear wasps, but I’m told I’m just being ridiculous. Other than that just tiny bugs, nothing too venomous (wasps, vipers, bees), a few bears and wolves that will stay away from humans 99 %. Pretty darn safe :)
Agreed.
Being outdoors, in their world, you respect the creature (whatever it is) and generally everything is more afraid of you than you are of it and you can co exist.
But when in a persons home, they’re not expecting it, possibly being in their very private personal space (terlet, shower, bed) fear is almost the first instinct. That’s when shit I normally don’t wanna kill... die. Usually a burial at sea

Well that sounds safer than here. What about stink bugs? Are you stink bug free?

Well that sounds safer than here. What about stink bugs? Are you stink bug free?

Had to google that one. Apperently we have them, but they have yet to bother me personally. Maybe not so plentyful in my parts of the country. Mosquitos and gnats can make outdoor summer nights challenging though

Had to google that one. Apperently we have them, but they have yet to bother me personally. Maybe not so plentyful in my parts of the country. Mosquitos and gnats can make outdoor summer nights challenging though
Ah, be thankful! They're awful! And smell horrendous. Mosquitos and ticks are a problem for us, how big do the mosquitos get in your area?

Yeah they sound pretty awful. We have ticks but again not that bad where I live. Lately we’ve been plagued with flood mosquitos. Small, annoying little bastards that are active in daylight. There are other kinds as well but they’re all fairly small. Are the ones in your area big?

Some summers are really bad and others practically nothing. Never know whatcha gonna get.

Ah, be thankful! They're awful! And smell horrendous. Mosquitos and ticks are a problem for us, how big do the mosquitos get in your area?
Yeah they sound pretty awful. We have ticks but again not that bad where I live. Lately we’ve been plagued with flood mosquitos. Small, annoying little bastards that are active in daylight. There are other kinds as well but they’re all fairly small. Are the ones in your area big?

Some summers are really bad and others practically nothing. Never know whatcha gonna get.

This is one of those times when size really does not matter, unless, of course, they're smaller than the holes in your screen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom