Official Poker Glossary Suggestion Thread (1 Viewer)

By Poker Glossary, do you want any type of poker terms like the following ok?

Check (as opposed to "checks")
No bet or pass the action to next player
usage: This son of bitch, all night he, "Check. Check. Check." He trap me!

Doyle Brunson
:tx::2x:
Named after the poker great after he won back-to-back WSOP main event titles (1976 & 1977) with this hand.

Dead Man's Hand
:ax::ax::8x::8x:
Hand that Wild Bill Hickock was rumored to have when he was killed.

Tap
Old poker terminology. To bet "All-In" or bet all the chips or money in front of you.
usage: With the nuts, Livingston tapped.

Gutshot Straight Draw
Drawing to an inside straight

Double Gutshot Straight Draw
Drawing to an outside or open ended straight

By Poker Glossary, do you want any type of poker terms like the following ok?

Check (as opposed to "checks")
No bet or pass the action to next player
usage: This son of bitch, all night he, "Check. Check. Check." He trap me!

Doyle Brunson
:tx::2x:
Named after the poker great after he won back-to-back WSOP main event titles (1976 & 1977) with this hand.

Dead Man's Hand
:ax::ax::8x::8x:
Hand that Wild Bill Hickock was rumored to have when he was killed.

Tap
Old poker terminology. To bet "All-In" or bet all the chips or money in front of you.

Gutshot Straight Draw
Drawing to an inside straight

Double Gutshot Straight Draw
Drawing to an outside or open ended straight

These are perfect, they provide insightful information need, and its a full range of terms! Makes it easy to put in the Glossary

- Great Post Thank you! @gmunny

I am also excited about Tap, we don't want the Glossary to be confusing or wrong, the Glossary is hopefully from the members for the members! There is a group of us that curate the Glossary, if it's confusing to me or I don't understand it, then (hopefully) I'm not alone and we should take a closer look at a term.

Discourse doesn't bother me, if I'm wrong explain it to me please, I don't know everything, but I can try!

I think this might be ambiguous, Tap is typically associated with 'Tap out' or 'Tapped' meaning quit, or all out of Funds.

Tap

I think this might be ambiguous, Tap is typically associated with 'Tap out' or 'Tapped' meaning quit, or all out of Funds.

Tap

I think the usage of "tap" probably originated from what you wrote related to being "all out of Funds." I looked the term up in the glossary's of a couple of old poker books and here is how they defined it:

The Complete Guide to Winning Poker by Albert Morehead (1967):

Tap:
1) rap on the table to signify a pass or a waiver of cut,
2) bet the whole amount of chips in front of oneself, or
3) make a bet that requires another player to bet all his chips, or drop.

Super System by Doyle Brunson (1978):

Tap:
To go all-in

Tap City:
A slang term to signify that a player went completely broke, that is, he went to Tap-City

Tap Out or Tapped Out:
See Tap City

Since no one really uses the term in the present day, I think its fine to exclude the term. Keep up the good work!

I agree its not used like this present day; I love that you cited sources, its really helpful!!

That said I think we should add it and cite all three definitions!

Ego Player

A player who is more focused on proving that he is the best and/or most knowledgeable player at the table, over and above actually winning hands and money

[Heard this one a couple of times recently while listening to poker podcasts / commentaries, had not encountered it before; not sure how common it is]

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom