Official PCF Hi-Fi Thread (1 Viewer)

For myself, growing up a musician and then being a DJ for 10 years I fell down the Hi-Fi rabbit hole about 5 years ago. A good DJ buddy of mine turned me to crate digging for vinyl albums and that spawned an obsession with amps, speakers, and turntables.

Still being just a student I’ve had to build my setup piece by piece and be very value oriented, but I’m at a really great place with my gear right now. My system is built around my now 3rd pair of tower speakers, the Martin Logan Motion 40s in a really pretty dark cherry finish. They’re powered by an Emotiva TA-100 which serves as my amp/receiver (eventually I’d like a dedicated amp). Feeding into the Emotiva I have a Denon SACD player for CD playback. I’ve also got a Fluance RT85 turntable with an Ortofon blue cartridge going into a Yaqin tube pre-amp.

I’ve collected around 275 albums on vinyl, everything from elevator smooth jazz to classic rock to pop and hip-hop. I’ll post up a link to my collection on Discogs sometime.

B33C8EF8-4BA6-493B-A3EE-4D3C4B480D21.jpeg

F5329B61-1EA0-4659-A832-C8E575BB529F.jpeg

DD728597-4B65-4C49-8B1A-B148C23F1864.jpeg

1B715BE7-79DE-4584-BBDC-6C31D7BC7115.jpeg

Last edited:
Used to have a very cool dedicated home theater but had to sell everything when we moved back to Stockholm after living rural for 7 years (didn’t have the space anymore)

4k projector, 7.4.1 speaker set-up. Broke my heart to give it up

8AE99A31-2ADA-4E4B-BBB7-64CDE72B2ADE.jpeg
2832ECAD-07CF-4637-A13B-D88972731715.jpeg
5B65B670-7B26-43BE-A978-A71AC23D6F2D.jpeg
5B65B670-7B26-43BE-A978-A71AC23D6F2D.jpeg
679AB73A-69A2-430B-B5A7-0530B0940CF9.jpeg
13ECA971-90F8-4DFF-B16E-FF30ADE79B2D.jpeg
06C475D2-2E39-4C8B-AF26-8A585892CFC4.jpeg

I need to go through my vinyl collection one of these days. It's been years (decades?) since I had a turntable hooked up. the wife and I are planning to move to our final forever home within the next year and it's my goal to have dedicated audio listening space somewhere in the house. I'll start out by digging out all my late 70s equipment (mostly Technics) that's carefully packed up in a bedroom closet where it's been for 16 years. Then I'll add to what I have. I've always wanted an old school NAD "power envelope" amplifier. And I'm sure I'll want a better turntable for all my 1970s & 80s vinyl.

@djfayze I see that we used some of the same stuff. I had a Marantz reciever and used an Emotiva to complement as a pre amp for the fronts. The coolest upgrade I made (compared to price) was installing 3 bass shakers in each of the three chaise lounge sofas. Awesome results!

Now I just do a 65” Oled with this compact stuff. Does the job reasonably well (while keeping the wife happy with the aesthetics), but I would love to be able to get back into the good stuff some day.

783C9058-039C-4E2B-B0B4-419BC7884726.png
6B326353-F99D-41A4-B284-6AA0887476B9.png

I haven't bought Hi Fi separates since I was in college! My Dad's old system finally gave up the ghost earlier this year so I set up my old system in place - a Marantz amp and CD player from the 90s - they all still work perfectly.

I used to have a cinema setup in our old house but it's all in boxes now. Pioneer NXT speakers and a Mitsubishi DLP projector. No idea if it all still works.

And I still have my 1210s, Alesis power amp and Ecler mixer from the old DJ days. I needed some speakers so my most recent purchase was a pair of these:
IMG_3018.jpeg

Musician in high school / college and got "deep enough" back in the day for a poor student. Definitely not an audiophile, more-so I just like things to sound how I like, and LOUD. Outside of some cheap (but surprisingly adequate) monoprice surround speakers for my home theater surround, I'm actually still using the same system 20 year later lol. Maybe it's finally time to upgrade.....

i don't need another rabbit hole i don't need another rabbit hole i don't need another rabbit hole i don't need another rabbit hole i don't need another rabbit hole i don't need another rabbit hole i don't need another rabbit hole i don't need another rabbit hole i don't need another rabbit hole i don't need another rabbit hole i don't need another rabbit hole i don't need another rabbit hole i don't need another rabbit hole i don't need another rabbit hole i don't need another rabbit hole i don't need another rabbit hole i don't need another rabbit hole i don't need another rabbit hole ...........

<clicks "watch" button>

50th anniversary you say? So it will be just like the one I bought in the 70s! I wish I could post a photo, but it's packed away somewhere...
It’s probably worth a chunk of money if you don’t want it anymore. Big market for OG 1200s in the DJ community, a lot of people don’t feel like any of the reproduction ones are quite as good as the originals.

It’s probably worth a chunk of money if you don’t want it anymore. Big market for OG 1200s in the DJ community, a lot of people don’t feel like any of the reproduction ones are quite as good as the originals.
I was just joking around. I don't have the 1200. I have a much cheaper, belt drive Technics.

Just what I need. A thread that makes me ask myself, "Why do you have a pair of never-used Bose 901 Mk IVs (I think) sitting in the wine room?"
:cool

Vinyl is cool as in it's a throwback to an old era where you go through the ritual of placing a record on the turntable, lift up the tone arm etc. But the reality is, for high audio fidelity digital for sure is better.

For me nowadays I like playing with open baffle / dipole / omnidirectional speakers in a fully active self tuned system. It's a nerdy world but when you go through it you learn so much about audio in general.

For music lovers who don't want to mess around with all the gear, keeping the system simple is great. Skip the gear fiddling and just enjoy the music.

BTW "high end" home HiFi is basically fraud. You're paying for a piece of art not for audio nirvana.

Objective based testing to me is where it's at. www.audiosciencereview.com and https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/ are great sites.

Just picked up 2 of the 50th Anniversary Edition 1200's in Blue. Haven't opened or set them up yet.

View attachment 979960
Even though I have a pair of 1210s, I still had to look at the price. $1k or so - I'd love one in red and one in yellow. But a total waste as mine are still mint even though they were bought in 2002. These decks are pretty much indestructible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom