Ode to the Warneke box (1 Viewer)

Squakmix

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
I was looking at this old Warneke box and it got me thinking about all of the places it's been, the people who have had it, and the chips it's held. Everyone has these boxes laying around but it seems like most of us don't purchase them and they just seem to just kind of materialize from the ether.

I thought it'd be fun to see some of your most battered, frayed, and depleted boxes that are still kicking and able to hold chips. If you have any exceptionally messed up Warnekes laying around I'd love to see them. I'm convinced that these never really die and people just keep adding tape until the structural integrity is restored.

1000000827.jpg

1000000829.jpg

I had planned to write a tribute to the Warneke box but I was curious about what ChatGPT would come up with. I think the version it generated turned out pretty great so I'm sticking with it haha

Prompt: "Write a poem about a battered box used to mail poker chips between different members of a forum"

ChatGPT:
A battered box, once used with care,
To mail poker chips from here to there.
From one forum member to the next
To play their game and make some bets

But now, the box is tattered and torn
Its corners frayed, its color worn
It's been through many travels and flights
But still it holds, with all its might

Though frayed, the box is not without worth
For it holds the memories of games played on the earth
It tells the tales of friendly bets
And all the fun that it has met

So though it may be beaten and bruised
This battered box still holds a use
It may be old, but it's not done
It will continue to hold poker chips
Until the game is up has run.

Last edited:
I always wanted to do something like a library due date card on the box. I’ve definitely sent out a box and got it back months later from a different person at least once or twice.
I love this idea. If people signed or dated the card as it got into their possession it would make for a fun ledger of everyone who has been in possession of the box. You could do something like a giveaway once ~20 people have signed the card (or offer an incentive for returning the box on time, like posting it in a running thread)

Sometimes it seems as if PCF is closed economy.
Some of the first chips I bought had entered and left Boise, Idaho several times...and I sent them off to a new home before too long myself. Movement for movement's sake, I guess! (Though in some ways these first couple of transactions were like "full rack samples" - let me dial in what I liked and didn't.)

Think the poem should end with "has run" a "free verse" poem is fine, but when the rest rhymes... seems like it should end with one as well.

There was another thread recently on boxes and their journeys, some people even take the "Personalization" of these boxes to the next level... cough, cough @RivieraDanny bought a bunch of equipment just to stamp outgoing boxes for example.

Very cool though, these boxes have definitely traveled the world and back, some a few times.

Love this. In fact love the idea so much I am going to order a stamp for the inside cover with some comment like the where’s George stamp for dollars.

Reuse/Recycle! Where’s this box been and what was in it? Month/Year. City/State.

Like the library card idea too!! Maybe a pocket on the inside lid with a card.

Have to think this one out!!

Our own Sisterhood of the Traveling Chips?

While I have seen some boxes that are more tape than box, it is always neat when one arrives that has either been around the world or is off the standard model in some way (wood grain, anyone?). I like the idea of making them traveling trinkets.

Our own Sisterhood of the Traveling Chips?

While I have seen some boxes that are more tape than box, it is always neat when one arrives that has either been around the world or is off the standard model in some way (wood grain, anyone?). I like the idea of making them traveling trinkets.
I own a few of the wood grains, a bunch of the old Blues, and one super sexy straight from the 80's black vinyl... I will have to take some pics when I get home.

Think the poem should end with "has run" a "free verse" poem is fine, but when the rest rhymes... seems like it should end with one as well.

There was another thread recently on boxes and their journeys, some people even take the "Personalization" of these boxes to the next level... cough, cough @RivieraDanny bought a bunch of equipment just to stamp outgoing boxes for example.

Very cool though, these boxes have definitely traveled the world and back, some a few times.
Great point, I like yours better. Updated the last line with that change :)

This one has seen a lot of different chips - Silver Nugget, Opera House, Boom Town, Gold Strike, Dunes, Peoples Choice and more i can't decipher

e9852c10-a58c-4b95-845a-8ac8f7875113-jpeg.871674
119e51d5-f531-41c6-9ad2-cb6ea0244fee-jpeg.871675
That one's pretty glorious... I can count at least 20 different scratched out labels on the box. It's been around the block a few times

Love this. In fact love the idea so much I am going to order a stamp for the inside cover with some comment like the where’s George stamp for dollars.

Reuse/Recycle! Where’s this box been and what was in it? Month/Year. City/State.

Like the library card idea too!! Maybe a pocket on the inside lid with a card.

Have to think this one out!!
A stamp sounds like an awesome idea. It'd be cool to have a dedicated website that would log the user's location when they entered a serial number but that's probably overkill. I made a website years ago for tracking the movement of lighters as people pocketed them but it's not online anymore... Maybe this would be a good time to revive it.

I have never seen those woodgrain Warnekes but they sound cool. I have some old TRK boxes that are in pretty bad shape but still usable.

A box I’ll never part with

View attachment 1041676

Gene was an icon with the chip club and the Palms

No idea the story of this box but I wish I knew
Awesome. That seems like a good way of labeling the contents of boxes... Easy to see what's supposed to be in it at a glance. Is there a rack of those inside or have they been replaced with something else?

These boxes are like hermit crab shells, just temporary homes until the inhabitants outgrow them or move out :p

Great point, I like yours better. Updated the last line with that change :)

That one's pretty glorious... I can count at least 20 different scratched out labels on the box. It's been around the block a few times

A stamp sounds like an awesome idea. It'd be cool to have a dedicated website that would log the user's location when they entered a serial number but that's probably overkill. I made a website years ago for tracking the movement of lighters as people pocketed them but it's not online anymore... Maybe this would be a good time to revive it.

I have never seen those woodgrain Warnekes but they sound cool. I have some old TRK boxes that are in pretty bad shape but still usable.

Awesome. That seems like a good way of labeling the contents of boxes... Easy to see what's supposed to be in it at a glance. Is there a rack of those inside or have they been replaced with something else?

These boxes are like hermit crab shells, just temporary homes until the inhabitants outgrow them or move out :p
No I think it was meant for, then sent to Gene.
Then it moved on after that a few times

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom